Home Off Topic

"Bad Cops"

NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
What is a "bad cop?" can someone give a definition....maybe even a few examples of bad cops.

Thank You

Replies

• FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 915 Officer
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,329 Admiral
    One that abuses power, like kneeling on a handcuffed man for 8 minutes and killing him.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    kellercl said:
    One that abuses power, like kneeling on a handcuffed man for 8 minutes and killing him.
    I agree...with the abuse of power comment.
    edited May 29 #6
    So kneeling on a handcuffed person for 8 minutes isn't abuse of power?  Even when the victim clearly states he cannot breath.  Even when eye witnesses are telling the cops they are killing the guy.....   9/10 times I defend cops, I think their job is hard.  So far there is no defense in this case.  Unless some additional information is released, this cop needs to be charged.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    kellercl said:
    So kneeling on a handcuffed person for 8 minutes isn't abuse of power?
    Dude....you need to sharpen your english language skills....maybe take a course.

I agreed with your 'abuse of power' comment....the knee to the neck you cited was an example you gave, which of course I agree with as well.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,205 Moderator
    Turn on the 6 o'clock news.
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

edited May 29 #11
    kellercl said:
    So kneeling on a handcuffed person for 8 minutes isn't abuse of power?
    Dude....you need to sharpen your english language skills....maybe take a course.

I agreed with your 'abuse of power' comment....the knee to the neck you cited was an example you gave, which of course I agree with as well.
    the "......" wasn't straight forward in my eyes.  I wasn't sure what you meant with the multiple periods.

-Walter Payton
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,368 AG
    Would the one that was planting meth in cars after he pulled them over qualify??
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,216 Officer
    Cop that lived next door to me and a few of his cop friends used to go to bars at closing, follow single chicks, stop them for DUI, and then bring them home.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,267 Admiral
    Bad Lieutenant ... Harvey Keitel

A warning ... 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,954 Captain
    Cop that lived next door to me and a few of his cop friends used to go to bars at closing, follow single chicks, stop them for DUI, and then bring them home.
    Do you mean to tell me a cop would use his power over someone, ignoring the law, for personal gain? I’m shocked, shocked I say😆
    You should have been here yesterday
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,401 Captain
    Do you mean to tell me a cop would use his power over someone, ignoring the law, for personal gain? I’m shocked, shocked I say😆
    Yes. A P to the L was a fit girl. A P to the I was an average girl. A P to the E was a fat one when bent over the hood
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,193 AG
    Abuses power, falsification of documents, puts loyalty to the mission over loyalty to the Constitution,  treats citizens unlike the way they expect to be treated 
    AND stands by while his fellow cops do it. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,239 AG
    Abuses power, falsification of documents, puts loyalty to the mission over loyalty to the Constitution,  treats citizens unlike the way they expect to be treated 
    This.  

As for the "I can't breathe" issue - if Floyd could say it, he could breathe.  Also, I'm sure that's a standard thing many minority arrestees say for just about anything.  Cops hear this and dismiss it as more whining and carrying on by a person who does not want to go to jail.

But, it is more important that cops be respectable than a guy who had a counterfeit bill learn to respect their authoriTIE.  So all things being equal, F the popo.  There's something very strange about wanting to be one.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • 2amigo2amigo Posts: 5,578 Admiral
    edited June 1 #22
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 16,982 AG
    edited June 1 #23
    A better Venn diagram that sounds about right to me:

• zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 907 Officer
    kellercl said:
    I'd say the autopsy reports that came out using the word "homicide" is not going to bode well for "derek". Think I'll retract my remark on the removed thread about pleading down and dropping charges. Hes gonna get what he deserves 
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 2,947 Captain
    edited June 2 #26
    The Supreme Court ruled years ago that only One public sector job can be denied to a person for the sole reason that they scored too high on an intelligence test.
    That job: Police Officer.

They reasoned that since the costs of training officers is considerable, and since people over a certain level of IQ are known to leave the force as soon as they can, a municipality cannot recover those costs. Therefore, it's permissible to discriminate on the basis of intelligence.

Statistics tell us that police officers run a higher risk of divorce, depression, alcoholism, drug addiction, spousal abuse, and suicide. It's a high stress job, and not an easy one by any means. The pay isn't great either.

There aren't any quick fixes ... and few alternatives available.

The facts speak for themselves, and that's more than enough.

At this point, I'm fatigued and trying my best to ignore the entire sordid mess.

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,027 Captain

At this point, I'm fatigued and trying my best to ignore the entire sordid mess.

i have to agree.
    This.  

As for the "I can't breathe" issue - if Floyd could say it, he could breathe.  
    That isn't accurate.  I person can be struggling to breath and have a large percent of their airway cut off while still being able to produce sounds.  Choking somebody doesn't require cutting off 100% of the airway.  Reducing airflow over a period of time still would result in death.    

-Walter Payton
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 904 Officer
    Officers today have to realize even in the heat of the moment, they are held to a higher standard and they can be held accountable for their actions. Even when arresting suspects, the suspects are still only alleged to have broken the law. This does work both ways and in this case the officer or officers should have a day in court. As to rioters and looters they should be arrested and have a little court time as well. 

There are some bad actors and poor performers in all walks of life; not just the law enforcement profession. We all have to do better.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 907 Officer
    kellercl said:
    This.  

As for the "I can't breathe" issue - if Floyd could say it, he could breathe.  
    That isn't accurate.  I person can be struggling to breath and have a large percent of their airway cut off while still being able to produce sounds.  Choking somebody doesn't require cutting off 100% of the airway.  Reducing airflow over a period of time still would result in death.    
    All educated ME's will agree with you keller
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,155 Captain
    Gary S said:

i have to agree.

And it doesn't help to get two completely different cause of death reports.