Home General Hunting

Does a River or Deer have legal rights?

MissedMissed O-townPosts: 170 Deckhand
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/could-rivers-have-rights-just-like-people-seminole-commissioner-wants-to-know/ar-BB14HE9K?ocid=hplocalnews

So - some folks want to assign legal rights to rivers, natural lands, and animals.  

Might be worth an email or letter to your representative. 

If this came true I see it being used often and the end result will hurt as the environmental groups weaponize it and sue the cooty out of everything and everyone they can to "save the world". 

An example could be the mosquito lagoon - someone presents a good case against boating or fishing being allowed...  Snip snip one at a time.

Replies

• CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    edited May 28 #2
    There would be no end to such nonsense. And who gets to do the suing and who gets to keep the winnings.

They obviously do not own the river, but they get to sue on behalf of the river? Seriously? This would open the door to anyone can sue anyone else for anything.

Tree huggers and now river huggers and some want to marry their monkey.

You know, when we let the lunatics run things this is what we get.

I agree we need to clean up the pollution and stop it from happening if possible, but I don't think this is the way to do it.

In Florida we have Riparian rights to our public waters. They are already being violated and what we fishermen and boaters need to do is go to court to enforce our stolen riparian rights.

For example, take lake Brantley in Altamonte Springs. Everyone knows the lake is owned by all the citizens of Florida. But, the land surrounding the lake is all private and therefore public access to the lake has been completely cut off since city of Altamonte Springs sold off the park, land, and boat ramp to the HOA.

Today, Lake Brantley, a PUBLICLY owned lake is only accessed by and used by those who own land around it cutting the rest of the lake's OWNERS off from even accessing it.

And it is this type of theft of our riparian rights we need to start enforcing in courts if we ever want them back.

According to the nay sayers, I do still have public access to Lake Brantley if I can afford it. Since I can not access the water by land without trespassing, I can fly over the private lands and land on the lake itself to access it and that would be legal.

Clearly not everyone can do this. There is a financial discrimination factor preventing equal justice to all citizens access to our public waters.

Another issue here is, since we all know lakes like Brantley belong to all of us citizens, and our tax dollars are used in numerous ways for that lake, is it fair the benefit of our collective tax dollars is only enjoyed by those who own the land around the lake?

There is indeed a theft going on. A theft of our public waters one by one being taken from all of us while our state and county tax dollars are still used to maintain those same lakes we can not access.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 789 Officer
    Man, Landing a float plane on it sure would **** them folks off, might be worth passing the hat just to see the reactions.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    Cagey said:

I agree we need to clean up the pollution and stop it from happening if possible, but I don't think this is the way to do it.

This right here. 
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    edited May 28 #5
    It does beg the question though.  Are regulations protecting our resources adequately?  Is enough done to restore damage when done?  I'd say no.  But I think this is more about accountability.  I understand the sentiment to sue, to ensure accountability.  Just don't think allowing anyone to sue on the behalf of a river makes sense at all.  We're already too litigious of a society.  This would create a mess for sure.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited May 29 #6
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 301 Deckhand
    1.2 million gallons of untreated wastewater into the river after an "accident"?  Doesn't the EPA or County Government already have the power to fine the chit out of them?  
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 170 Deckhand
    The wastewater releases happen all the time - roughly every storm event.  Doesn't make em right - who has the authority to stop this?  Would like to see them do something about it.

Development has a price (sewage) and the leaders turn their heads to it.  The Indian river is full of green slime right now...
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,726 Captain
    Luckily the entire state of a Florida will eventually be under water.......again.
    Great solace for many of us deep thinkers, enviros, conserveos, justice seekers.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,740 Admiral
    "I agree we need to clean up the pollution and stop it from happening if possible, but I don't think this is the way to do it."

What Cagey said there. It's the age old issue of the means by which we accomplish a thing often being what sets us apart rather than an agreement as to what it is that needs fixing. How to get around that when the professional politicians get involved I do not know. For the professionals may well be simply after power while you and I, just as the environmentalists are, are after a clean productive body of water or piece of land.

• Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,305 Captain
    While I agree ^^^, I'm beginning to think that the protesters this week have the approach that produces results.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,740 Admiral
    Big Mak said:
    While I agree ^^^, I'm beginning to think that the protesters this week have the approach that produces results.

That's what they want, for the sane and the peaceful and the thoughtful to morph into something resembling themselves at which point there is no high ground, only a nasty quagmire. 

Wilberforce and not John Brown is what we should strive for.
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,952 Captain
    Big Mak said:
    I’m gonna guess the police would step in if the hunters in Florida started rioting and looting the commissioners homes until the black bear season was reestablished. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,726 Captain
    edited June 11 #14
    River and Deer and Bear and ( most) Hunters Lives Matter
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink