Home Off Topic

Envirude Parent to Discontinue Making Outboards

2»

Replies

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,981 Admiral
    Evinrude tried to stick to the two stroke. It was long gone. The public wanted four Strokes, they wouldn't give in and people didn't want them and they didn't get it. End of story. I am sad that Evinrude is gone I remember in the sixties and 70s Evinrude and Mercury battle. Evinrude what is considered the lower horsepower but reliable. Mercury was the inline 6 Tower of Power that smoked them. I never owned an Evinrude only Mercury and Yamaha but I hate to see them go
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,027 Captain
    Had a late 70s Johnson 140. It had been bored 30 over due to a run in with a bale of marijuana before I got it. Later I hit a plastic bag and warped both heads, had to cut 23 thousands off to straiten them out. That motor would run. The block finally deteriorated to the point it wouldnt seal anymore. Replaced it with a 110 Johnson.
     I have a 175 Mercury now that I haven't used in a couple years but when I was using it had a few miner problems but was never towed in. It is a little thirsty especially when leaning on the throttle.
     I also have a new 60 Honda. That motor is sweet. All night long on 8 gallons of gas.
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    All we use to run were Johnson and Evinrudes. They were bulletproof. Just as long as you didn’t overheat one. 
     The exhaust regs was  the Achilles heel for them and all two strokes. 
     I still have a 1964 evinrude 5.5 horse that  still runs. I keep it in the shed on a stand. Might be worth something soon?
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 907 Officer
    zimmy4209 said:
    Hopefully most wont forget how alot of that came to fruition when the time comes. Guess we find out in about 6 months 

Want to remind the class who was so proud of his declaration that this was not to be ridden out?

I'm guessing your memory doesn't go back that far.
    Apparently I'm not on the same level as you intellectually which I wont lose sleep over but anyone who disagrees with the 2 points treemanjohn brought up has there head in the sand. 

"Theres people dying out there that have never even died before".🤔🤔 

When he makes comments like this during a briefing you have to accept he has plenty of weaknesses but the economy and the all mighty dollar isnt one of them 
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,216 Officer
    zimmy4209 said:
    zimmy4209 said:
    Hopefully most wont forget how alot of that came to fruition when the time comes. Guess we find out in about 6 months 

Want to remind the class who was so proud of his declaration that this was not to be ridden out?

I'm guessing your memory doesn't go back that far.
    Apparently I'm not on the same level as you intellectually which I wont lose sleep over but anyone who disagrees with the 2 points treemanjohn brought up has there head in the sand. 

"Theres people dying out there that have never even died before".🤔🤔 

When he makes comments like this during a briefing you have to accept he has plenty of weaknesses but the economy and the all mighty dollar isnt one of them 

Not nearly as intelligent as you might think and surely cannot follow the rules

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• CountryBumpkinCountryBumpkin Fla. Piney WoodsPosts: 1,704 Captain
    From their website:

For business reasons, we have made the difficult and thoughtful decision to discontinue manufacturing of our outboard engines to focus on the next generation of propulsion.

So what is this "next generation of propulsion" they speak of?
    Diesel, electric, propane, flex-fuel, or something else?
    Inquiring minds want to know.......aka investors want to know. :)
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,385 Admiral
    All we use to run were Johnson and Evinrudes. They were bulletproof. Just as long as you didn’t overheat one. 
     The exhaust regs was  the Achilles heel for them and all two strokes. 
     I still have a 1964 evinrude 5.5 horse that  still runs. I keep it in the shed on a stand. Might be worth something soon?

I had a old 5HP '67? I think. Unfortunately it was stolen years back. You could spin it around 360 degrees. 180 degrees for reverse. The throttle was a lever on the side of the engine.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 16,982 AG
    edited May 31 #39
    King_Me said:
    I just saw the new unemployment rate today - 23.9%  I can't believe it, almost a quarter of the population is unemployed.  I think the worse is yet to come, it just hasn't caught up yet.
    From the best economy and unemployment rates in the history of this country to this
    "In the history of this country"?  What country are you talking about?

Best unemployment rates?  Nope.  It was 1.4% in 1944.

Best economy?  Not even close.  GDP has been slightly above anemic and nowhere near that of even the second half of the 1990s.

I think you (and those who you ape) need to brush up on your history, but at least you got the "to this" part right.
    So tarp and bimini got absolutely nothing to add about outboards or experiences with the rude or anything relevant to this thread for that matter atleast you could have wowed us with evinrudes GDP the last year they were in business. I totally understand what you were getting at treemanjohn besides 1.4% of 1944 population compared to today's numbers is oh only more than 3 million people 
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,282 Captain
    Quit polluting my thread like a 2 stroke
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    zimmy4209 said:
    I'm going to end up being sorry for even bringing this up probably(knock on wood) but I run the _ell out of my outboard religiously since '97 and other than changing plug when it needs it and winterizing it because it's mostly been used up north I've had not 1 issue with it ever. 
    Running outboards is the best thing for them.  It's when they sit that things go wrong.  Except etecs.  Etecs suck.  Prob what did them in...
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,002 Officer
    edited June 1 #44
    spangler said:
    zimmy4209 said:
    I'm going to end up being sorry for even bringing this up probably(knock on wood) but I run the _ell out of my outboard religiously since '97 and other than changing plug when it needs it and winterizing it because it's mostly been used up north I've had not 1 issue with it ever. 
    Running outboards is the best thing for them.  It's when they sit that things go wrong.  Except etecs.  Etecs suck.  Prob what did them in...
    Been a long time waiting but for whatever reason I never brought my boat down here with me. Guess I just figured it would be a long vacation for the family the way my wife loves to pretend shes nomadic but guess were in it for the duration now. It's only a 14ft starcraft with a 15 hp evinrude but will be perfect for any lake in ONF to fish out of and oh ya will cut my walk in-out time to a couple real nice spots I have treestands at from close to an hour on foot to less than 15 minutes(including putting it in the water). Not to mention when i seal the deal how satisfied I'll feel with a "passenger" in the front of the boat back across the water instead of 1.5 miles of pure _ell trying to navigate what used to be a trail dragging it around the lake. Winning. Ill have it down here by 4th of july cant wait!!Anybody have any insight why when they clear areas or remove the timber after they are done literally take bucket scoops from a excavator the entire trail they used to use. I get the whole idea of not wanting vehicles to use the trails when they are done but one would think scooping buckets out from the trail the first and last couple hundred yards would be sufficient enough from keeping vehicles off it. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,239 AG
    From their website:

For business reasons, we have made the difficult and thoughtful decision to discontinue manufacturing of our outboard engines to focus on the next generation of propulsion.

Anti-matter gravitational propulsion drive.  Clean, green and efficient.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,516 Captain
    Cagey said:
    Guess no one cares about salt killing the 4 strokers early...
    Early?  Have a Honda I bought when we moved to Florida in 2004.  Still runs just fine and is used 90% of the time in salt.  Our last OMC product was a Johnson that ran through a tank of gas so quickly I thought it had a leak.  Happiest boat trade I ever made.
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,329 Admiral
    From their website:

I would guess electric.  The idea of an electric motor for inshore fishing is attractive, IMHO.  I love the idea, clean and quiet.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,027 Captain
    Maybe they are going 4 stroke.
  • FletchFletch Merritt Island, FLPosts: 2,455 Moderator
    Personally owned 16 ETECs and have been taking care of another 14 for years. Absolutely fantastic motors for me. Stronger, just as smooth and on par with four strokes in fuel economy and even better in emissions. Had to add oil but it was nice not having to change oil/filters and only having to do all other maintenance items 1/3rd as often as any other competing brand. Especially nice since I kept my boat in the water full time.

I run diesel powered boats now but I'm still going to miss them. Hope someone else will pick up the tech from BRP and keep the brand alive. 
    "Ninety percent I'll spend on good times, women and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent, I'll probably waste..."
    -- Tug McGraw on getting a raise

Get Down Fishing Charters - Port Canaveral, Florida
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 10,239 AG
    Only problem whit electric is the 2 tons of batteries you'd need for long days on the water.
    And of course all the nasty but largely ignored environmental issues that come with those.
    The quiet is very attractive.  Would love to have a silent motor... but above 30 mph the hull on the water makes more noise than the actual motor (if it's a reasonable recent 4-stroke).
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.