Home Off Topic

Any drone flyers here?

SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,189 Officer
Im seriously contemplating buying a drone to check timber as well as conditions on our land. Anyone here have any experience or recommendations on models?  I’m considering the DJI Mavic Pro 2. 

Replies

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,410 Captain
    I have a Mavic Pro. It's very impressive.  A lot of technology in that little booger 
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,189 Officer
    Is it forgiving and easy to fly?
    I’ll be flying probably at he most 2500 acres in one block. I would imagine it would take multiple flights to cover that. I’m assuming I would need at least 2 batteries
    I will check back later. I have 36 Vincas to plant. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,446 AG
    I'd love to have one that's waterproof to scout for cobia 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 389 Deckhand
    edited May 27 #7
    A friend has a larger DJI, loves it and highly recommends the Mavic to me.  Range and speed are 2nd to none.  He's sent me some great videos.  I had a Yuneec Q500+ for several years and cursed the thing constantly.  Finally got rid of it.  Never knew if it'd come back or not and the forums were full of the same complaint.  Finding it was a b.i.t.c.h. in rough country.  It did have a very good camera, tho'.

For sure get 2 batteries, you'll quickly regret it if you don't - and PAY ATTENTION to the cautions about charging them.  Problems are rare, but disastrous when they do happen.  Li-ion batteries are notorious.  I charged mine outside.

Soda - there are many on home-made floats and I do believe that kits are available to build floats for almost any......
    Yah, just did a google and there are many.  Building your own would be simple.....but give it a wide stance.
    Is it forgiving and easy to fly?
    It's simple to fly. It also shoots excellent . It will fly a long long way. Someone showed me a video from a flight that went out6 or 8 miles
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
    Sounds promising. I had a cheap one that had a mind of its own. Trying to fly that thing out of pine trees soured me on drones. Does it really have a 300 foot ceiling?
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    We had a member named drone, posted some very cool videos. 
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 16,987 AG
    edited May 27 #11
    I've been wanting to get one to spot tarpon along the beach and film the fight, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.....
    How long ago. 
    edited May 27 #13
    The Mavic sounds like it just might be the best for my needs. I’ve seen videos of the guides down in South Louisiana using them to spot trout blowing up in the marsh, and in the bays. 
    Sounds promising. I had a cheap one that had a mind of its own. Trying to fly that thing out of pine trees soured me on drones. Does it really have a 300 foot ceiling?
    It will fly a lot higher than 300. The FAA controls that but u think there's a hack. 

It does a nice job auto correcting for the wind also
    Reading up on it, the let loose of the controls, and it hovers, is awesome. 
  • Bruce SBruce S Posts: 500 Deckhand
    I have the DJI Phantom 4 Pro with three batteries, remote with built in screen, back pack carrying case. Absolutely love that thing. I highly recommend the controller that has it’s own display instead of a phone or pad. The brightness is incredible and you’ll need that on a sunny day.
    I have footage all around the Ft Desoto park, Shell key, and it’s amazing what you’ll see when you play it back on a 4K TV that you didn’t notice when flying. Bait pods, manatees, dolphins, rays, sharks, and so on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Is the phantom larger than the Mavic? Easier or harder to fly?
  • Bruce SBruce S Posts: 500 Deckhand
    Larger but flies the same pretty much 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,969 Captain
    Is that Mavic the one on sale at Best Buy for $700?
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    Not sure. The one I saw with extra battery was in the 1800 range. 
    4WARD said:
    Is that Mavic the one on sale at Best Buy for $700?
    I got a couple magics and a spark for free.  I think at the time it was 1000
    Y’all just got me browsing around.
     I easily have $500 wasted over the last few years. $60 here, $80 there. The last one was $125, It took off and left the county in 2 minutes flat LOL.
    The Mavic has a return to home feature which is danged near a must for those oh s—- flights

So did my last one😉
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,379 AG
    I bet a $80 return home button doesn't work like a $1,600 one.....
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • BodineBodine Posts: 3,019 Captain
    Novice here, bought a Bugs3 in Jan. All manual except auto level, if you let go of the sticks she goes down. I figured before I put down a grand, I could put down a C note and really learn how to fly one without auto anything.
    I can fly it pretty darn skippy now, and the dang thing is fast.
    Ready to move up to a more expensive piece of equipment now, it is pretty darn fun.
    F the feds
  • anglerplusanglerplus MiccoPosts: 214 Deckhand
    edited May 29 #28
    Mavic 2 pro here, with FAA lisc
    Fir a beginner, its hard to go wrong with mavic mini. I think they are about  500 bucks all in with the fly more package. That is extra batteries and case
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 389 Deckhand
    edited May 30 #29
    micci_man said:
    I bet a $80 return home button doesn't work like a $1,600 one.....
    My Yuneec Q500+ was well over $1,000 and the return function didn't work for beans.  The Only reason I got it back a couple of times when it flew clear out of sight on its' own was the name and phone # label I had on it.  People who found it in their yards called the police, who then called me.  I did some mighty rugged hiking, looking for that d-----d thing.  Good riddance.  I sold it for $300 recently and "very" glad to get it and get rid of it.
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,217 AG
    I have a part 107 but no drone. It was a 30 minute add on to my pilot’s license. It would be fun to play with one.  

Play safe, stay below 400’ and away from airplanes, please.
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,032 Captain
    I have a part 107 but no drone. It was a 30 minute add on to my pilot’s license. It would be fun to play with one.  

Play safe, stay below 400’ and away from airplanes, please.
    You have to have a license to fly a drone? And is the 30 minute add on shorter than someone with no license have to take?