Home Off Topic

Cheerleader bit by snake and did not know it.

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,042 AG
edited May 26 in Off Topic #1
she though she stepped on a stick at first. The video showed the snake got her. 

HOUSTON, Texas. (CBS Local) — A Texas high school cheerleader who was using her time away from school during the coronavirus pandemic to brush-up on her skills was bitten by a venomous Copperhead snake and had to be rushed to the hospital.

Paris Montgomery of Huffman said she was in her backyard recording video of herself showing off some moves last week when she thought she stepped on a stick. Much to her surprise, a snake bit her right foot.

“Something just started hurting,” she told KTRK. “I didn’t know it was a snake.”

“I did not have snake on my mind, so I was thinking, ‘Maybe a bee stung her,'” said Paris’ mom, Tracy. “So, I put some baking soda on it. Well then, it started swelling up and turning purple and we rushed her to the hospital.”

https://dfw.cbslocal.com/2020/05/20/cheerleader-bit-by-copperhead-snake-while-practicing-routines-backyard/

Mini Mart Magnate

This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly. 

Replies

• evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 91 Deckhand
    she's lucky she didn't get bit more times, snake must have left, she poot her feet right in the same spot over and over...

Copperheads are nasty...
  • evernic1evernic1 NMBPosts: 91 Deckhand
    evernic1 said:
    she's lucky she didn't get bit more times, snake must have left, she put her feet right in the same spot over and over...

Copperheads are nasty...

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,401 Captain
    That's a tough gal.  Last summer we had a good friend's daughter get bitten by copperhead. She was a lifeguard at a pool and it worked its way inside to the showers.  It bit her on the top of the foot and she was in the hospital for a couple days under observation. Back to normal in less than a week
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,480 AG
    Looks like me when I get bit by one fire ant.  Well, except for the pony tail.  I have a man bun.

Captain Todd Approves

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,954 Captain
    mplspug said:
    Looks like me when I get bit by one fire ant.  Well, except for the pony tail.  I have a man bun.
    Ahh, that explains the seltzer😉
    You should have been here yesterday
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,205 Moderator
    mplspug said:
    Do you have man boobs?
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 1,411 Officer
    I've killed about three a year in my backyard since moving to Georgia. My dog starts to mess with them, but the way she pulls back makes it easy to tell it's a snake.

Fortunately she hasn't been hit, but I've almost busted my tail a few times scrambling down the deck stairs and the hill out back in my underwear to get her away, and then rain a stone of death upon it with one hand,as I hold my dog with the other. 

It's the one bad tradeoff of having a scenic creek running through my property. 
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,042 AG
    I had to run after my dog last week when I saw her checking out a snake. It turned out to be a rat snake and I just threw into the neighbors yard so the dog would leave it alone. 

Mini Mart Magnate

mplspug said:
    Do you have man boobs?
    Depends on the day, they come and go with my sugar intake.

Captain Todd Approves

• SAENoleSAENole Posts: 10,947 AG
    Summer of The Snake
    Warning Level 2
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,385 Admiral

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,267 Admiral
    I've killed about three a year in my backyard since moving to Georgia.
    Get some King snakes ... they'll get rid of your copperheads
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
    Slightly off topic, but the other day I found a Ribbon Snake in the pool.  Those things are pretty cool and **** good swimmers.

Captain Todd Approves

• Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 1,411 Officer
    Gardawg said:
    Do people really do that, just buy and release?
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 5,981 Admiral
    Is a diamondback rattlesnake more venomous than a copperhead/water moccasin?

When I was a kid I never gave water moccasins or copperheads much respect. All I was ever taught was stay away from rattlesnakes and coral snakes.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 907 Officer
    mplspug said:
    Pictures or it never happened(man bun)
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,042 AG
    edited May 26 #18
    AC Man said:
    Is a diamondback rattlesnake more venomous than a copperhead/water moccasin?

When I was a kid I never gave water moccasins or copperheads much respect. All I was ever taught was stay away from rattlesnakes and coral snakes.

Timber Ratllesnakes are more venomous than the Diamondback, But Rattlesnakes of any kind can kill you if you don't get antivenom. The same is true for Cottonmouths (Water Moccasin). 

Copperheads bites are less fatal than the above two, but you don't want to get bit by one. They are usually only found in the panhandle and northwestern Florida.  

Coral snakes are very venomous but the likelihood of a dry bite is high and the amount of venom delivered is usually low. 

At least that was what I remember from what I have read. 

But you don't want to get bit by any of them. They all can kill you if they inject enough venom and you don't get treatment. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,002 Officer
    edited May 26 #19
    zimmy4209 said:
    mplspug said:
    I was kidding.  Except for the moob part.

Captain Todd Approves

• zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 907 Officer
    mplspug said:
    zimmy4209 said:
    mplspug said:
    Gotcha. I've buzzed my own hair for 20 years but lost a bet to my oldest daughter about 16 months ago(way too many vodkas that day) and I haven't been able to cut the hair on top of my head since then. 2 more months and it's getting shaved off again cant wait!!
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,608 Admiral
    When I moved to my Hunting Camp my young Pup got snakebit the first week.
    Entire left side of her head had swelled up bad . I considered it Cheap Training.
    Now she just barks a bit and  Social Distances  away.
    Good thing cause there's lot's of Snakes around here...I'm between 2 big  Swamps on the High Ground with 93 Thousand acres as my back yard. Never know what's gonna crawl by next..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,368 AG
    WM venom is bad stuff. Starts breaking down the flesh right away and will cause nerve damage. 

And BTW- a copperhead and WM are two different snakes. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,027 Captain
    zimmy4209 said:
    mplspug said:
    zimmy4209 said:
    mplspug said:
    Gotcha. I've buzzed my own hair for 20 years but lost a bet to my oldest daughter about 16 months ago(way too many vodkas that day) and I haven't been able to cut the hair on top of my head since then. 2 more months and it's getting shaved off again cant wait!!
    You can get her to let you off. Just put your man bun up , put some skinny jeans on and wear a cropped t shirt anytime her friends come over. 
    Gardawg said:
    I’ve been considering this for a few years
    Gardawg said:
    Is it legal?

Captain Todd Approves

mplspug said:
    Gardawg said:
    Is it legal?
    Not sure
    I doubt it is, but I ain't judging people who release a native species in order to control rattlers and other poisonous snakes.

Captain Todd Approves

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    People sell beneficial insects (and other organisms) for biological control of pests on crops.  I'm betting there's a line somewhere though.  It's not like you can release cougars to control pigs and dee.. oh, wait
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    mplspug said:
    I doubt it is, but I ain't judging people who release a native species in order to control rattlers and other poisonous snakes.
    And rodents 
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,187 Officer
    When I was 7 or 8, i was walking back thru the woods to a creek that had fossils in it. Being a young Mississippi lad I was of course barefoot. At one point, I stepped on a copperhead, and as Carole King sang, I felt the earth move under my feet. Jumped straight up, screaming like someone with TDS. Luckily I didn’t get bit. That’s my closest to getting bit story. 
    BTW, that’s probably as close as I’ve ever gotten to being high enough to dunk a basketball.