Home Off Topic

What are your Memorial weekend plans?

King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,363 Admiral
We have plans to have a big get-together with friends at our house this afternoon.  Kind of the first one we're having in our new house.  GF went out yesterday and got all kinds of stuff for the pool, floats, basketball hoop, volley ball net and a bunch of other stuff.  Just looked at the forecast for our area, suppose to rain all day and looks pretty bad already.

Hasn't rained in months and the day we plan a outdoor party its expected to pour.  I don't believe it.

Oh well, I guess we'll have to move the party inside today.

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,612 Admiral
    I smoked three racks of ribs yesterday because I heard the weather report about the rain today and Monday. Have friends from Miami coming up today. Haven't seen them in months due to Covid. All I have to do is heat the ribs and (maybe) sauce them if they got a little dry from the refrigerator. If it is raining, I can do it in the oven if necessary. Got baked beans, potato salad, corn on the cob and lots of booze.  Monday will be a seafood dinner. Still have some Crawfish (lobster)tails , and shrimp in the freezer. Might also try to buy some King Crab legs Monday morning if Publix has them. I also have some fresh Vermilion Snapper that I caught Friday if needed. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,879 AG
    Went pontooning yesterday up the manatee river.  Then we went out to passage key and swam around.  We invited our friends with their 2 kids and they had a blast.  Then we weaved between the tarpon fishermen off Anna Maria and found a near shore wreck.  Wife caught some small sea bass, some sort of grouper and another fish I need to ID.  Then we heard thunder and headed in.

Man am I glad we moved.  

Today I have to mow.  I think we are having beer can chicken one day and ribs the other.  (Today and tomorrow).  Might check out whisky Joe's that just opened up on the manatee river.

Captain Todd Approves

• hatcityhatcity Stuart,FLPosts: 3,324 Captain
    With the weather forecast, looks like ribs will be in the oven. Tater salad and cole slaw. Just us here.
    Maybe get a glimpse of the Goodyear blimp. NASCAR to put me to sleep
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,690 AG
    Drove  to Pennsylvania for a truck bed for my 1953 international. 
    Was going to do it in 3 days, but driving 10 hours a day is too much at 62. 
    Used to drive 16 hours without an issue in my younger days. 
    Left Friday morning, back Monday afternoon. Friday was the long drive of 11 hours when I decided to take it easy and come back Monday. Hotel rooms easy to find even with the dog along. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,493 Admiral
    Watch it rain apparently ... 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,274 Officer
    At 63.8 I have found after driving an hour or so, I’m so stiff and sore, it takes quite a bit of effort to get out of the pickup, and a while to walk without limping. 
  • bocapup1bocapup1 Posts: 1,125 Officer
    Wake up and then take a nap 💤 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,144 Admiral
    At 63.8 I have found after driving an hour or so, I’m so stiff and sore, it takes quite a bit of effort to get out of the pickup, and a while to walk without limping. 
    At 63 I washed my Bay boat today had to take about 8 breaks. How pathetic. 10 years ago I could buff wax polish and detail by 36 foot triple engine center console without taking a break three days in a row. I think I would die now Amazing how 10 years you lose it. Of course I'm sure that I have been lazy in these last 10 years.
    Getting old is a rough road
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,460 AG
    Geez, I'm 60, is this what I get to look forward to....lol

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,675 Admiral
    Dang...I'm almost 65 and I build a big chunk of Pole Barn this morning., Set 4x4's  , cut and put up Header Beams  , An hours nap and a Campfire with cocktails and a little Herb relax time till dark.
    I'm Not a Relaxer,,never have been..Places to Go , People to meet , Miles and Miles before I sleep..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,144 Admiral
    Dang...I'm almost 65 and I build a big chunk of Pole Barn this morning., Set 4x4's  , cut and put up Header Beams  , An hours nap and a Campfire with cocktails and a little Herb relax time till dark.
    I'm Not a Relaxer,,never have been..Places to Go , People to meet , Miles and Miles before I sleep..
    Like they say use-it-or-lose-it time it I haven't used it in a while however I was in pretty good shape a year-and-a-half ago. I was in the gym lifting weights and on the treadmill. If you stop moving you go down fast!
    It appears I’m on the titanic. I can ride a tractor for half a day and it takes me 3 days to recover. 
  • NACl H2O LuvrNACl H2O Luvr Posts: 12,389 AG
    Getting old sux.......but the alternative is even worse... ;)

• rock_fishrock_fish Posts: 11,734 AG
    I visited my grandfather. He stays in the grassy field a few blocks away.
  • CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    I was going to redo my impeller but the eBay seller sent me the wrong impeller! Ugh!

Oh well, the lakes and boat ramp parking lots will probably be filled with too many people anyway...
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,072 Officer
    Enjoying the much needed rain. Remembering the fallen heroes, reading a little and organizing some of my hunting gear. Even w/o virus we don’t go to the beach or the water on “Amateur Hour” holiday weekends. 
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    I thought everyone was supposed to be hiding in their homes?
    My mask blew down to my John boat. I’m gonna go retrieve it in a few. 
    i could go 2 to 3 hours without stopping and walking, which worked well with the pup along. The longer I went the worse it got. By the end of the day Friday, all I wanted to do was lay down and rest.  The 11 hours was actually about 10 hours of driving and stopping every 2 or 3 hours for a few minutes. 

Mini Mart Magnate

About 15 years ago, I dated a lady who's 75 year old mother lived with her, We were going to her house one day and someone was on the roof of an addition that her mother was building. i knew she had a couple guys helping her do the work so I asked who was working on her roof. It was her 75 year old mother laying shingles on the roof. The guys had taken the day off and she decided to try and finish it herself. 

Needless to say, i was impressed and also decided to never make that woman mad at me. 

Mini Mart Magnate

That is impressive.
    @cadman that sounds like my wife.  She isn't 75, but she sounds as stubborn as grandma.

Captain Todd Approves

I'm making ribs.  Not the good way, I don't have a smoker. 2 hours in the oven and then I finish them on the grill.  2 hours on the grill would just be a waste of propane.  I need to get a wood chip burner for it 

Captain Todd Approves

• Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 1,832 Captain
    I've met this guy at the gym a few times, and is what I'm hoping for.

80-year-old triathlete still going strong

ALPHARETTA, Ga. - Jon Adamson is a regular here at Life Time Fitness in Alpharetta, where he's been he's been coming to train and coach other triathletes for 11 years now.

"He's the boss, the beast," says fellow athlete Audrey McMurry.  "Everybody knows Jon."

And when strangers find out the retired corporate manager is 80?

"Non-athletes don't believe it," Adamson says.
    But Jon's fellow athletes, like McMurry, do believe it, because they've seen what Adamson can do. They met 5 years ago, when a friend invited McMurry, then in her mid-30's, on a group bike ride to celebrate Jon's birthday.

"And, what I didn't know is that, when Jon has a birthday, he does a year for each age, for each year of (his life).  She laughs.  "So, this bike ride ended up being a 70-miles, a 75-mile bike ride."

Today, they're training side by side, Adamson coaching the 41-year old mother of 5, while at the same time training himself for The Xterra World Championship, an off-road endurance race, later this month in Maui,

"Before this year, the oldest age group they had was 75 to 79," Adamson says.  "But, I knew I was going to be 80. So, I got hold of Xterra and asked if they'd add an age group."

They did. 

So Jon Adamson will be one of 3 80-something triathletes, who will swim nearly a mile in open water, then mountain bike 20 miles, then run 6 and a half miles up and down a rugged trail.
    He can't wait. This from a guy who didn't start running until he was 45.

"I was pretty much a sedentary person back then," Adamson says.  "I wasn't doing much."

After a friend his age died suddenly of a heart attack, Adamson started running road races with his wife Jo and friends. Then, he took on to his first triathlon, which didn't go well.

"It was horrible," Adamson says.

But, he stuck with it, trying another triathlon, and then another.

"It just turned out it was one of those things I ended up liking, and I was pretty good at it," he says.

Since then, Adamson has competed in more than 200 competitions, bringing home dozens of awards, and a few broken bones.

"But, the doctor does the surgeries on me says I recover faster than anyone he's ever done surgery on in his whole life," he smiles.  "He thinks I'm a freak or something. Because he'll do surgery and I'm back in two months, racing or doing something again."

Ten years ago, about 70, Adamson slowed down a bit, switching from Ironman to half-Ironman competitions, although he's still pacing himself with athletes have his age.

"I look at it as, if I can try to stay with them, I can be a better athlete," he says.

And Audrey McMurry says Jon has made her a better competitor, too.

"What I love about Jon is that he gives me workouts and pushes me, to where he knows I can be.  But, I don't always have the confidence to know I can be there."

Jon Adamson insists his first goal for Maui October 28 is just to finish.

"But with as competitive as I am, I'll probably try to race it."

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,675 Admiral
    Spent the weekend trout fishing the mountains.  Ended up with 8 rainbows and 1 brook.  Not bad for a first attempt at trout fishing streams.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    Only trout fishing I have done was on abandoned mine pits.   That was pretty fun.

Captain Todd Approves

My grandfather called bass, green trout. That’s all I got freshwater. 

Captain Todd Approves

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,675 Admiral
    mplspug said:
    Only trout fishing I have done was on abandoned mine pits.   That was pretty fun.
    Wasn't as fun as saltwater fishing, but considering the trout streams are 90 minutes from the house, worth the effort.  Just need to figure out how to catch bigger.  I caught mostly 5-7 inchers.  

Nice ribs.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton