Home General Fishing

Review of Lowrance Hook 2 7x Sonar w GPS, Sidescan, and Chirp

MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 468 Deckhand
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,452 Officer
    I have the 1st generation Hook 7 without the side scan and the fish finder function is outstanding but the GPS sucks.  Mine has the capability for putting maps into it and I have a Navionics map.  The GPS refresh is so slow that you're past your WP before it changes.  I recently put a used Humminbird 998 on the boat with all the bells and whistles and it far surpasses the Hook especially the GPS.  My Navionics map is installed in the Humminbird and works great with it.  If you need a GPS look further than the Hook. 
  • chaser48chaser48 San Mateo Fla.Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Will not  buy another Lowrance hook series mine has been back to factory 2 times in a year
    still not right
  • cortrcortr Posts: 241 Deckhand
    Hook is Lowrance's entry level product. HDS Carbon and Live are far better models. You might try a Point 1 heading sensor to improve your GPS. 

• MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 468 Deckhand
    cortr said:
    Hook is Lowrance's entry level product. HDS Carbon and Live are far better models. You might try a Point 1 heading sensor to improve your GPS. 

My last Lowrance was also entry level and provided 14 years of good service.  

Sure, one can always pay more $$$ to get more features.  Not really interested in dropping lots of cash for upgrades.

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,724 Captain
    MathGeek said:
    cortr said:

My last Lowrance was also entry level and provided 14 years of good service.  

Sure, one can always pay more $$$ to get more features.  Not really interested in dropping lots of cash for upgrades.

It isn’t features that you pay for. It is the processor and pixels. Lower end units won’t run fmt as well as the higher end units.
    There is a reason they make more expensive units, and it’s not really about features 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 15,994 AG
    Who needs sonar when you can pray them in the boat?
  • cortrcortr Posts: 241 Deckhand
    Salty is correct.  It isn't features, it's the faster processor. Any mapping program, including FMT will run better on higher end model. 
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 468 Deckhand
    cortr said:
    Salty is correct.  It isn't features, it's the faster processor. Any mapping program, including FMT will run better on higher end model. 
    I had good maps in GPS that cost $200 20 years ago.  That makes it hard for me to believe the extra cash is needed today for the processing power for a map with the GPS.  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,724 Captain
    edited May 29 #10
    MathGeek said:
    cortr said:
    I had good maps in GPS that cost $200 20 years ago.  That makes it hard for me to believe the extra cash is needed today for the processing power for a map with the GPS.  
    20 years ago😂Things have changed in the last 20 years. Believe what you want, or go look at a real review of a non entry level machine. Fmt is not an entry level mapping chip and it needs a non entry level machine to work properly. 

Nothing wrong with entry level, but it isn’t about features. It is a better unit because of the reasons already listed

You should have been here yesterday