Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Good Flush, Good Deed, No Dang Poons...yet....Egmont....5/21/20

So, I had a hall pass.  Last moon phase I went on Friday I think and the flush never really happened.  Might have happened after I left but up until dusk, we only saw a few crabs.  We did see a few pods of fish which was good but only one or two hookups in the entire fleet.

Last night the flush was fantastic.  We got there around 5:30.  Crabs everywhere.  We dipped a few dozen and I notice a couple kayakers paddling from Fort DeSoto to Egmont right in the middle of the main ships channel at that point.  More on them later...

So we noticed a bunch of boats probably a half mile out in the channel west of egmont.  Didn't have crabs yet but I assume there must have been some fish out there.  By the time we did get crabs all those boats had disbursed.

So, we do the normal drift a few times.  Didn't see a single tarpon and didn't see a single hookup among the fleet.

Then the rod bends over...but alas, a small gag....  20 - 30 minutes later it bends again...a bonnet head....30 minutes later, another bonnet head.  

Clearly not our night, or the fleets night at least at egmont.  The sun is starting to get low on the horizon and I notice the kayakers are heading back to fort desoto.  I am thinking there is ZERO chance they are going to make it back before dark.  Then I notice one of them is in the water and clearly not able to get back on the yak.

So, I pull lines and head over there to offer some assistance.  Another boater was doing the same thing.  I got there and he was clearly struggling.  Kayak full of water, can't get it out of the water, tide RIPPING out.  Don't think he realized how much trouble he was in.  Even as I pulled up I said get in the boat and he was more worried about the stupid kayak.  I yank him in, we get his yak, his buddy was still in his yak so we pulled him in too and ran them and their yaks to fort desoto.  Of course, NO PFDS....  Don't think he understood how close he was to going away.  There was absolutely zero chance he was going to get to shore.  He was already exhausted trying to flip the yak back over.  I sincerely believe it would have been ugly.

You would think saving some wayward yakkers would have given us some Karma so we did a couple more drifts but nada.

So, I got crabs.  Got no tarpon YET.  Think I might try and get a permit this weekend.  Then I am off to Boca Grande for 10 days of stupidity starting next Thursday so the new boats tarpon cherry will break...

Tight lines...be safe out there this weekend.  It will be a shizzit show....
In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013

Replies

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,566 Captain
    That's crazy.  Some people have no sense.  Not that you shouldn't always have a pfd (and obviously required), but to attempt that crossing without serious know how is beyond stupid.  Very well may have saved that guys life.  Good looking out! 
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 746 Officer
    Forget the guy's life, you saved taxpayers at least $50,000 in expenses for Coast Guard search and recovery operations.  Paddling to Egmont without a PFD is beyond stupid.

Paul, were the flushing crabs full grown blue crabs, or juveniles and pass crabs?
  • permit_mepermit_me Posts: 1,067 Officer
    Too bad on the no **** thang. the monkey on the back sucks.  I was fortunate to get a few hookups and a fish to boat last wed. I had a similar thing that evening, yaker off his yak struggling bobbing, heading out to seas at sunset...we saved his life. no pfd/light. Small craft advisory was up.

fish I've been finding have been staying down, as in on the bottom, down. Been watching em feed on the sonar.  t I found the mother load today, acres and acres of birds and action.  Bonitos. (probably some tarpon too). feeding on massive schools of threadfin.
  • Gypsies CallGypsies Call Posts: 246 Deckhand
    Okay - I just gotta go there... but first, well done on helping them out.  Its unbelievable just how dumb some people can be, especially in that area.  So much water dumps out of Tampa Bay they could have been 20 miles out before they were found.

Anyhow... you said you got crabs... do they itch much? Never know what you might get on your **** hunt!

Just kidding!  Good luck 
    Gypsies Call
    SWO LCDR, USN-Retired
    Sea Chaser 200 Flats Series
    Old Town Predator Kayak
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,316 Captain
    Forget the guy's life, you saved taxpayers at least $50,000 in expenses for Coast Guard search and recovery operations.  Paddling to Egmont without a PFD is beyond stupid.

Paul, were the flushing crabs full grown blue crabs, or juveniles and pass crabs?
    Gorgeous pass crabs.  Great flush.  Just no tarpon...
    There were a handful of big blues and I might have seen a few smaller blues but the vast majority of them that i saw were pass crabs.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 15,994 AG
    edited May 23 #8
    I heard the group on the outside were on a wad of fish, but if you go out again, I would look about five miles to the east of where you were if I were you.

Good on you for helping that guy out, Paul.  I'm sure your luck will change down south.  They're chewing you know where and the beach has been good too....and you deserve a break or three.
    I heard the group on the outside were on a wad of fish, but if you go out again, I would look about five miles to the east of where you were if I were you.

Good on you for helping that guy out, Paul.  I'm sure your luck will change down south.  They're chewing you know where and the beach has been good too....and you deserve a break or three.
    I am not concerned.  Egmont is bonus fish for me.  Got some crabs so I will have crabs next weekend when I am there until the flush the following week.  All will be fine.  Can't wait until Thursday though.  We originally were going on Saturday, then pushed it back to Friday, now Thursday.  Probably would have done Wednesday or Tuesday but the homeowner rented the house until Thursday...  And I wasn't going leave until noonish but I foresee an earlier departure and maybe check out some of the near shore reefs for some snapper or permit before I actually go to the house and unpack...

Going to be a glorious 10 days...
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 15,994 AG
    edited May 24 #10
    Looking forward to the report!  :)

You better invite Mookie, or he's gonna be upset.  ;)