Home General Hunting

LIZARDS, I’ll start.

4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,869 Captain
Went 2/4 on our favorite lake.
Not too bad considering. Feeling pretty lucky actually.
Man, it’s getting harder and harder.
If not for my boys, I’d have given it up. 
"I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
For they always bring me tears
I can't forgive the way they rob me
Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine

Replies

• H20dadH20dad Posts: 1,854 Captain
    We only got 10. We will
    manage. 
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,673 Admiral
    ZERO & ZERO & ZERO & ZERO.................. :/
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,673 Admiral
    bswiv said:
    ZERO & ZERO & ZERO & ZERO.................. :/
    Wait.....forgot one..ZERO!!!
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 224 Deckhand
    H20dad do you run a hooterite colony? 10 draws?
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,999 Captain
    I got the county-wide tags I wanted. Can’t complain. 
  • Panhandler80Panhandler80 Posts: 8,152 Moderator
    Got county tag I've never hunted before.   Well see....
    "Whatcha doin' in my waters?"
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,168 AG
    I'm guessing he's talking about he and his friends total combined tags. 
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 748 Officer
    Bullfrog - my advice to you now that you’re a new dad: You need to read again your solo, paddle trek gator hunt, when you lost some sanity and maybe a cell phone. You need a “bigger boat” and a few buds standing by waiting for a “safe word”, should you have a repeat. Just kidding you. BTW-that is a great story! 
    I got my favorite spot so that's cool.  Got turned down the last two years.
  • Florida BullfrogFlorida Bullfrog Posts: 2,999 Captain
    swampdog said:
    Bullfrog - my advice to you now that you’re a new dad: You need to read again your solo, paddle trek gator hunt, when you lost some sanity and maybe a cell phone. You need a “bigger boat” and a few buds standing by waiting for a “safe word”, should you have a repeat. Just kidding you. BTW-that is a great story! 
    I learned my lesson and put in for a county where I have family with an air boat that will hunt with me, and places where I know there’s a lot of gators and I can be choosy. 

That being said, if I can pick up some extra tags, I will try the kayak hunting again at the end of the season and limit it to a smaller gator. I tried the kayak experience again last year and found my hunting grounds near home are too picked over year-round to offer more than 1 or 2 shot opportunities per season on a gator of any size. Where I can hunt this year I know there’s a lot to choose from and arrowing a small one from a kayak shouldn’t be a problem if I have the extra tags to burn. 
    Yes, yes

micci_man said:
    I'm guessing he's talking about he and his friends total combined tags. 
    This here is a person who can read the fwc lottery phase rules. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,022 Captain
    edited May 22 #13
    swampdog said:
    I learned my lesson and put in for a county where I have family with an air boat that will hunt with me, and places where I know there’s a lot of gators and I can be choosy. 

That being said, if I can pick up some extra tags, I will try the kayak hunting again at the end of the season and limit it to a smaller gator. I tried the kayak experience again last year and found my hunting grounds near home are too picked over year-round to offer more than 1 or 2 shot opportunities per season on a gator of any size. Where I can hunt this year I know there’s a lot to choose from and arrowing a small one from a kayak shouldn’t be a problem if I have the extra tags to burn. 
    I remember that story. Wish you could get him. I had a day last season that nobody could hunt with me, so I went solo. I ended up hooking an 11 footer 5 times in the span of an hour. Getting him up to the surface and holding the rod in one hand and harpooning him just wasn’t working. He ended getting away. A speargun would of made it a cake walk. Good luck. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    swampdog said:

I remember that story. Wish you could get him. I had a day last season that nobody could hunt with me, so I went solo. I ended up hooking an 11 footer 5 times in the span of an hour. Getting him up to the surface and holding the rod in one hand and harpooning him just wasn’t working. He ended getting away. A speargun would of made it a cake walk. Good luck. 
    I have heard that giving them a non immediately fatal bangstick shot slows them down enough to drive in a harpoon when solo. 
    edited May 23 #15
    H20dad said:
    swampdog said:

I have heard that giving them a non immediately fatal bangstick shot slows them down enough to drive in a harpoon when solo. 
    Yeah, I thought about that. I was in 16 ft of water and wanted a solid line first. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Should of just popped him with the pistol as I feared for my life a few times, lol. I’ll never forget seeing him crawling along the bottom on my side scan depth finder trying to sneak away. Literally looked like a giant lizard on the side scan. Did it solo with an 8 footer a few days later and it was pretty easy. 

H20dad said:
    swampdog said:

Yeah, I thought about that. I was in 16 ft of water and wanted a solid line first. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Should of just popped him with the pistol as I feared for my life a few times, lol. I’ll never forget seeing him crawling along the bottom on my side scan depth finder trying to sneak away. Literally looked like a giant lizard on the side scan. Did it solo with an 8 footer a few days later and it was much easier. 
    Ive had more problems with 8-9 footers than big ones alone. The teenagers are squirrelly. 
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Posts: 459 Deckhand
    edited May 22 #17
    The little ones scare me more then the bigger ones 

a got 8 sta s. This year we got lucky for some reason. I guess many people didn’t  apply as much due to $$$$$$&
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,869 Captain
    A 7-8’ gator is a nasty nasty **** that will ruin your day.
    edited May 23 #19
    H20dad said:
    H20dad said:
    swampdog said:

Yeah, I thought about that. I was in 16 ft of water and wanted a solid line first. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Should of just popped him with the pistol as I feared for my life a few times, lol. I’ll never forget seeing him crawling along the bottom on my side scan depth finder trying to sneak away. Literally looked like a giant lizard on the side scan. Did it solo with an 8 footer a few days later and it was much easier. 
    Ive had more problems with 8-9 footers than big ones alone. The teenagers are squirrelly. 
    I’ve been part of killing a bunch of gators, but that was the first one lil one and he didn’t put up much fight. I know what y’all are saying though. He did comeback to life when I started the go devil up. Had to stand on him on the way back to ramp.
    The little ones scare me more then the bigger ones 

a got 8 sta s. This year we got lucky for some reason. I guess many people didn’t  apply as much due to $$$$$$&
    We actually got more of those than I wanted but we will make it work. Grinding out that many over 10 will take time. Other places its one per trip. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 2,603 Captain
    I cant see spending almost 3 Benjamins on a chance at 2 giant gators that arent worth squat on the table or open market.  I might get interested when a reactional tag is issued to stick a tender 6 footer like we did back in.........err NVRMD
    I take the middle road.  7-9 footer the meat is ok and I make stuff out off the hides.  Working on some cheekless chaps for the beach.
    Pinman said:
    I cant see spending almost 3 Benjamins on a chance at 2 giant gators that arent worth squat on the table or open market.  I might get interested when a reactional tag is issued to stick a tender 6 footer like we did back in.........err NVRMD
    You sit over feeders now? How much do those cost to run these days?
    H20dad said:
    swampdog said:

Yeah, I thought about that. I was in 16 ft of water and wanted a solid line first. Shoulda, coulda, woulda. Should of just popped him with the pistol as I feared for my life a few times, lol. I’ll never forget seeing him crawling along the bottom on my side scan depth finder trying to sneak away. Literally looked like a giant lizard on the side scan. Did it solo with an 8 footer a few days later and it was pretty easy. 

Troll that thing behind the boat you might catch a mahi on it. 
    edited May 24 #25
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    For Gators? Would be the first Ive ever heard of hunting Gators over feeders. 
    edited May 24 #26
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    If some lazy stand hunter could do it, it’d be the rage. You hunt a lease what’s the corn bill a year?
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,869 Captain
    We just do it for the kids now.

H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    H20dad said:
    Pinman said:
    If some lazy stand hunter could do it, it’d be the rage. You hunt a lease what’s the corn bill a year?
    Have no clue what the bill is.  I "might" be able to kill a deer if my life depended on it. Otherwise, I just like to eat Deer. Doesnt matter if its Doe, 3 point or Bullwinkle-the-14 point. Havent killed one in 40 years and last year was the first I really tried. 
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,659 Captain
    Great going over this Thread, even the Complaints. 
    Growing up in Miami in the 60’s the discussion and situation was Gator on verge of Gone.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,137 Captain
    Gators, much like flugars, should be present but rarely seen. ;)