Home Off Topic

When's the last time you shook hands with a customer?

2»

Replies

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,115 Admiral
    I guess my new customers when I go on an estimate it's not the same crowd as some of you. Went on one today they were both on the front porch husband and wife and put their masks on when I got there. I had my mask on as well and they directed me to the back porch outside for discussion I was not allowed inside the house. As I have said before my techs wear a mask gloves and foot covers as my customers for the majority will not let them in their house or their office otherwise. At this point it's common courtesy not for me but to make the customer or others feel better.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,616 AG
    @AC Man   i have a question.  I'm working on a new AC unit, and getting a quote on a Goodman unit, i'm not really hot on the tranes,  plus i was told for 900$ i can get a 10yr parts AND labor warranty which seems stupid not to do for the extra money.   Thoughts on these?   

I wanted ACman to post first. The last house I owned and lived in for 17 years had a five year old unit when I bought it and I know I did not spend $900 in labor repairs during that 17 year period.

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

cadman said:
    @AC Man   i have a question.  I'm working on a new AC unit, and getting a quote on a Goodman unit, i'm not really hot on the tranes,  plus i was told for 900$ i can get a 10yr parts AND labor warranty which seems stupid not to do for the extra money.   Thoughts on these?   

I wanted ACman to post first. The last house I owned and lived in for 17 years had a five year old unit when I bought it and I know I did not spend $900 in labor repairs during that 17 year period.

Hey Cadman I did reply. Check the last post on the previous page I believe it is
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 960 Officer
    Gardawg said:
    When someone sticks out their hand to shake I look them straight in the eye and say, "Fair warning. I ran out of toilet paper three days ago."

Works so far
    That's why they wipe with their left hand in the middle east. Show a little respect.
    I cant do ANYTHING left handed and that's no joke. Feel bad for those out there that live by these "respect" standards and are in same boat as I am.  I wonder how long someone can go about there daily routines wiping left handed when they know that's about as uncoordinated of an effort as the New York football giants record the last 3 years. My guess is they tell you they wipe left but it's fake news! 7 out of 10 figured out quick like they aren't switch hitter competent and always go to there dominate hand. Just sayin anyways 
    edited May 22 #36
    zimmy4209 said:
    Gardawg said:
    When someone sticks out their hand to shake I look them straight in the eye and say, "Fair warning. I ran out of toilet paper three days ago."

Works so far
    That's why they wipe with their left hand in the middle east. Show a little respect.
    I cant do ANYTHING left handed and that's no joke. Feel bad for those out there that live by these "respect" standards and are in same boat as I am.  I wonder how long someone can go about there daily routines wiping left handed when they know that's about as uncoordinated of an effort as the New York football giants record the last 3 years. My guess is they tell you they wipe left but it's fake news! 7 out of 10 figured out quick like they aren't switch hitter competent and always go to there dominate hand. Just sayin anyways 
    Since you brought it up, I threw my back out, lower back. I literally couldn't move without excruciating pain that made me want to throw up. Without going into detail trust me you have to get creative the wipe when you can't move. Left-handed right-handed coming in from the side you name it I had to do it. LOL
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,817 AG
    If my poopy right hand is good enough for me, it's good enough for you to shake.

Captain Todd Approves

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,110 Captain
    With all that hand washing your supposed to be doing who would know.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,259 Officer
    I never thought about which hand I wipe with until just now..

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• dave44dave44 Posts: 11,075 AG
     Broke my right arm awhile back, relearning as a lefty isn’t easy.
    edited May 24 #41
    cadman said:

It is all about playing the odds. I sold a customer a 10-year labor warranty once. And the warranty company went out of business in one year. We've decided to own up to it although we didn't have to, they lost a compressor, air condenser coil, an evaporator coil in the Attic, a reversing valve, and a couple of contactors. We obviously lost our but on that account. However, like you say 90% of the time we don't have one service call in 10 years. Lo and behold this one came back to bite me

The coincidences this comes up and I had a customer Friday wanting a 10 year warranty on labor. They were hell bent on it. I tried to talk him out of it due to the price and the fact that most manufacturers have gone away from it and you have to go through a mechanical Insurance Company which who knows how long they're going to be around. And if the contractor is offering it good luck on that as well, if they go belly-up you're not getting a warranty as well

I'll just say this they were not from this country and everything I said went in one ear and out the other during our one our conversation. They hear what they want to hear think what they want to think and don't take anything I say into consideration. Time to move on
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,262 Officer
    Being retired, no customer handshakes for the past 2.5 years. That being said, I have come in contact with my wife’s open palm after misreading her intent a couple of times. Who knew?
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,616 AG
    AC Man said:
    cadman said:

It is all about playing the odds. I sold a customer a 10-year labor warranty once. And the warranty company went out of business in one year. We've decided to own up to it although we didn't have to, they lost a compressor, air condenser coil, an evaporator coil in the Attic, a reversing valve, and a couple of contactors. We obviously lost our but on that account. However, like you say 90% of the time we don't have one service call in 10 years. Lo and behold this one came back to bite me

The coincidences this comes up and I had a customer Friday wanting a 10 year warranty on labor. They were hell bent on it. I tried to talk him out of it due to the price and the fact that most manufacturers have gone away from it and you have to go through a mechanical Insurance Company which who knows how long they're going to be around. And if the contractor is offering it good luck on that as well, if they go belly-up you're not getting a warranty as well

I'll just say this they were not from this country and everything I said went in one ear and out the other during our one our conversation. They hear what they want to hear think what they want to think and don't take anything I say into consideration. Time to move on
    They aren't regulated? I thought those policies had to guaranteed like other insurance. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

cadman said:
    AC Man said:
    cadman said:

They aren't regulated? I thought those policies had to guaranteed like other insurance. 
    Nope. Some manufacturers used to offer labor warranties at a price. Most have not recently if you want it you have to go through a mechanical Insurance Company. And in that case there are no guarantees. Zero

Goodman is the only company that offer in-house extended labor warranties I remember 10 years ago it was two hundred bucks it was a no-brainer. That's all over with. I don't even think the other manufacturers offer it in house. Again the labor warranty when you buy a new machine is up to the installing contractor one year is standard in the industry.

• SouthmiamiguySouthmiamiguy Posts: 6 Deckhand
    Last hand I shook was March 2nd. My cousin-in-law at a job site. March 3rd the company said all work had been cancelled and we were all laid off. I don’t shake my wife’s hand and have hung out with friends a couple times but have kept our distance. 

What I miss the most is seeing people’s faces. Seeing a smile and giving one back. 
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,356 AG
    My oral surgeon shook my hand last week after a check up.
    At two different factories last week, a plant manager and a director of quality both shook my hands.  Both places were not wearing masks and both places were medical device manufacturers. One makes the test tubes and needles for blood testing.

I had my quarterly visit with my doctor today to review my blood work. First thing he did was shake my hand and I didn't know what to do because the last time I was there he gave me the elbow bump. I guess he is moved on LOL I said I'm sorry I didn't know what to do when you stuck your hand out. He said here you go, here's the way you do it oh, he squirted a glob of sanitizer in his hand and he smacked my hand and reach took it again and rubbed it around like Blood Brothers LOL. Granted I've known him for 15 years and he's pretty cool.