Home Off Topic

When's the last time you shook hands with a customer?

AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,151 Admiral
I went to an old meat-packing plant that has been condemned for years and they were getting it up and going. Older crowd and the first thing they wanted to do is shake hands when I met them on the job site. I just tried to look away and not be an idiot. The one guy said oh I guess we're not supposed to do that anymore. I wasn't wearing a mask and neither were they, but hands shaking seems to be gone for the foreseeable future. What are your thoughts?

Replies

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,725 AG
    I went to my Chiropractor last week and without thinking shook his hand. 
    Some habits are hard to break. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,609 Captain
    Shook a few today.  
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 987 Officer
    One of the very first life lessons I was taught was not shaking hands is the most disrespectful thing someone can do. Within a couple months there will be a universal way everyone can communicate before being introduced and you will know one way or another if you should be disrespectful because of the fine job society has done right quick instilling each other to be fearful of each and every individual. I'm donating blood within the next week so hopefully I get a positive test for the antibodies in my system already and I'm just gonna get a hat made that says "I have the antibody".  I'll shake hands with anyone at anytime and not think twice about it. The 1 absolute guarantee in life is your going to die obviously being careless about certain situations means more than likely you will go before you should but I'd rather go out with a little dignity left in my soul than going through the rest of my existence sheltered and scared 
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,151 Admiral
    I have a bottle of sanitizer in my truck so I don't mind shaking hands. The reason I don't do it is because the majority of the people don't want to so I don't want to impose on them. That's it. When you meet a new person you don't know what they're thinking is. If I stuck my hand out to a germaphobe they would freak out. My bestfriend that's my age has been hibernating for 2 and 1/2 months he won't even go outside in the yard he's scared to death he's going to die.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,472 AG
    I haven't changed much at all. Just using common sense. The regulars I interact with we still shake hands.I reached out to some for work that I don't see regularly or first met and they have declined, that's cool.Maybe I'm a fool, or maybe not. Just not living  under a rock.    
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 461 Deckhand
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,004 AG
    edited May 21 #8
    I haven't met face to face with a client for several months now, so it's been a while.  I'm not averse to shaking hands, but I'm just not traveling to clients any more -- that's now all over video or audio conference.

Frankly, I miss hugging my mom more than shaking hands.  I see her quite often, at least a few times a week, but I don't go in her house, nor her in mine, and it's been a while.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,445 AG
    Yesterday with a buyer.
    I did sanitize before picking my nose
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    I'm talking about meeting new customers that you don't know. Not existing customers or your work force or friends.
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,111 Captain
    edited May 21 #11
    Since the start I’ve noticed that my 70+ yr old clients don’t give an F about social distancing. I actually saw one coming at me the other day out the corner of my eye and I “accidentally” blew her away from me with my backpack blower while she was trying to introduce herself. 

Doing estimates for new work has been great. No small talk or meeting, just texts straight to the point. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.

Frankly, I miss hugging my mom more than shaking hands.  I see her quite often, at least a few times a week, but I don't go in her house, nor her in mine, and it's been a while.
    Moved my mom into assisted living facility literally the day this started. Have not seen her since. Do talk to her daily but the facility is off limits to visitors. I haven't even seen her room.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 17,004 AG
    I'm sorry to read that, AC.  That's gotta be tough.  :(
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,904 AG
    Mom has been basically quarentined in her home since this began.  There was a week when she was down in the beginning, but she perked up to being her old self.  The family has gone and visited her keeping a distance and she wears a mask.

That's what should have happened everywhere, been hyper cautious and aggressive when protecting the elderly.   

Captain Todd Approves

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,963 Moderator
    No shaking hands here. Not by design or intention, it just seems to be a general consensus among the people I encounter. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Shook hands yesterday. 
     Refuse to do that stupid fist bumping crap. 
    What about an elbow bump? :)

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,430 Admiral
    I had to euthanize a family pet yesterday. Afterward, the man said “I know you aren’t supposed to shake hands, but”’ and stuck his hand out. No way I could leave him hanging. Shook up then went and washed hands. Problem is, I don’t walk around with a sink ( or sanitizer) and am terrible about touching my face 
    You should have been here yesterday
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,904 AG
    Did you wear a mask?  

When I brought my dog in for his yearly the staff upfront had masks on, including the assistant that brought me to a room.  When she came back the mask was gone and when the Dr came in he had no mask as well.  I'm guessing they do it as a courtesy to those who come in with masks.  But if they see you maskless they don't bother.

Captain Todd Approves

• SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,430 Admiral
    edited May 21 #20
    mplspug said:
    Did you wear a mask?  

When I brought my dog in for his yearly the staff upfront had masks on, including the assistant that brought me to a room.  When she came back the mask was gone and when the Dr came in he had no mask as well.  I'm guessing they do it as a courtesy to those who come in with masks.  But if they see you maskless they don't bother.
    I was wearing mask and gloves. Right now, we are only taking drop off appointments with phone consultations. Staff comes to the car ( masks and gives on) and gets the pet. Pay over the phone. The only exception is for euthanasia, I just can’t tell folks no when it comes to that. 
    You should have been here yesterday
    mplspug said:
    Did you wear a mask?  

I was wearing mask and gloves. Right now, we ate only taking drop off appointments with phone consultations. Staff comes to the car ( masks and gives on) and gets the pet. Pay over the phone. The only exception is for euthanasia, I just can’t tell folks no when it comes to that. 
    Our Vet up here is doing the same. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 1,890 Captain
    edited May 21 #22
    mplspug said:
    Did you wear a mask?  

I was wearing mask and gloves. Right now, we ate only taking drop off appointments with phone consultations. Staff comes to the car ( masks and gives on) and gets the pet. Pay over the phone. The only exception is for euthanasia, I just can’t tell folks no when it comes to that. 
    That's what our vet is doing as well. He's also making house calls for those that don't mind.
    He's coming here in a couple of weeks to give our cats shots. He saw our dogs back before all of this started.
    He also came to our house last year to put our Vizsla down instead of asking us to bring her to the clinic. Oh, I almost forgot, we will shake hands. 
    I can't give you a sure-fire formula for success, but I can give you a formula for failure: try to please everybody all the time.
    Herbert Bayard Swope
    US editor & journalist (1882 - 1958)
  • SAENoleSAENole Posts: 11,040 AG
    Today.  Every day. 
    Warning Level 2
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,703 AG
    @AC Man   i have a question.  I'm working on a new AC unit, and getting a quote on a Goodman unit, i'm not really hot on the tranes,  plus i was told for 900$ i can get a 10yr parts AND labor warranty which seems stupid not to do for the extra money.   Thoughts on these?   

You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,389 Captain
    I still shake hands whenever it warrants. I've never been a hugger to begin with so the whole social distancing thing, although currently exaggerated, doesn't bother me at all. Unless it's a festering crackhead, I'll grab a paw and give it a shake, but I do love my personal space. Anyone other than family inside a 3' radius (hand shaking distance) has always been invading it.
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,703 AG
    oh and i have a sign on my window that shows Doc Holiday from Tombstone and it says "forgive me if i don't shake hands".    people don't wash their hands so i'm not shaking em. 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,321 Officer
    Everyday! 
    Jason :USA
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,510 Admiral
    When someone sticks out their hand to shake I look them straight in the eye and say, "Fair warning. I ran out of toilet paper three days ago."

Works so far
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 991 Officer
    Gardawg said:
    When someone sticks out their hand to shake I look them straight in the eye and say, "Fair warning. I ran out of toilet paper three days ago."

Works so far
    That's why they wipe with their left hand in the middle east. Show a little respect.
  • brotherinlawbrotherinlaw Posts: 3,545 Captain
    Never stopped. Just signed a deal on a new disposal site with a guy I've never met until today. Shook to seal the deal as men should.
    @AC Man   i have a question.  I'm working on a new AC unit, and getting a quote on a Goodman unit, i'm not really hot on the tranes,  plus i was told for 900$ i can get a 10yr parts AND labor warranty which seems stupid not to do for the extra money.   Thoughts on these?   

The unit comes standard with 10 year Parts warranty the labor warranty is purchased separately. $900 is about the going rate up to you if you think it's worth it. I sold one ever.