Home Boating

Buying a boat? never a good idea.. right?

zackxoxozackxoxo USAPosts: 1 Greenhorn

My wife wants to buy a boat, she grew up with a small one and loved it. I, on the other hand, handle all of our finances and have literally 0 experience with boats and how they work/cost/maintain ect.

So now I turn to you reddit. What are the costs which typically come into in regards to owning a boat?

Our current situation:

-We rent a house right on a marina, on an island

-We would get used, not new

-I would not want to spend more then $10k really

• we would probably keep it on trailer (no idea what that cost) and keep on our property, but whats the cost of the alternative?

• we have a chevy malibu with a hitch... is that enough?

• ultimately we would just want to go out on the water, and have a boat with enough speed to go tubing and water skiing, and just chill out with some drinks on with some friends

yearly maintenance cost, winterizing, cost/insurance, repairs, what am I looking at here Reddit?

Thanks!

Replies

• hhfishermanhhfisherman Posts: 139 Deckhand
    BOAT- Break Out Another Thousand.
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 815 Officer
    edited May 21 #3
    no offense intended.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 305 Deckhand
    Yah, all very true, but he's talking used.  Go onto Craigslist - I haunt the Orlando pages - and look 'em over.  Don't jump into it.  Read the ads and read this forum for at least a few months, since you're a real newbie, then maybe start looking at boats for real.  You can get a fairly decent 17 foot with 90 hp for under $10,000 and a Chevy Malibu could easily tow it.  A boat like that would work fine for what you're saying.....and would be great for fishing out of, too.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,677 AG
    I have 2 boats that cost me nothing to sit in the yard un-used and un-insured and rotting.

Insurance is not mandatory in our state of Fl so that's an expense gamble you can take or pass on.
    Go with an outboard instead in inboard or I/O. Maintenance should be less, trailering is easier and picking a brand outboard that has an established mechanic that works on them near you helps. 
    If you get into this expecting 1.5 mile per gallon of gas when underway you will be happier when you find out you get 2 or 3 mpg but no to all upset when you get 1mpg. 

Boating is fun don't try to make it a job. 
    Gestapo 

• polliwogpolliwog Posts: 287 Deckhand
    If you are going to plunck down 10Grand ,As Gandrfab said make sure the motor is checked out by someone who knows what he is talking about.  The size boat you will be looking at can probably be checked out pretty easily as it should be a basic boat.
    I've always owned several boats so I am biased toward being on the water. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,178 AG
    This isn't reddit 
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 179 Deckhand
     Ok, some will not like what I am about to say.
     I was assuming it was your wife that didn't want you to buy a boat. Not the other way around. 
     Yes, boat's cost 10's of $$$$'s. You will probably loose $$$ on it when you sell it. However is that worth denying you're family the chance to make memories on the water? Life is about living & making memories/experiences while your here. 

Take the advice given to you & make your wife happy buy her a good/safe boat. Most men don't have a wife thats wants a boat, so take advantage of how blessed you are. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Posts: 773 Officer
    He has a budget of 10,000$. The tow vehicle is a Chevy Malibu. He wants to be able to pull a tube or a water skier. My personal opinion one of these things must change. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,022 Captain
    I’d look into one of those boat rental clubs where you just pay a membership fee and whatever boat you want is ready and waiting for you for the day. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • GotseaGotsea Posts: 312 Deckhand
    To own a boat you have to invested in it, it is $ and work, you have to love it, otherwise is better the option of rental club 
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,677 AG
    Tony Roma said:
    He has a budget of 10,000$. The tow vehicle is a Chevy Malibu. He wants to be able to pull a tube or a water skier. My personal opinion one of these things must change. 
    My standards were far from that high when we 1st got into boating.
    1st boat $1800 17' checkmate merc 115 a few summers of endless skiing, knee boarding and tubing. Kept the boat on a lake 1994 to 1998 in a friends back yard it even sunk once because the batteries were stolen and it stormed. That was a 1972 hull with a 78 merc bought in 1993/94. finally sold that boat in 2011/12. great times, my 1st 5 gallon limit of shrimp was on that boat. 

2nd $7800 new Carolina skiff 1997 40 mariner then traded that up for a 60. we didn't try skiing still had the ski boat, it would pull a tube all over the place if wanted. My fil took that boat over and recently repowered her with a merc 4stroke, still in the family.  Shrimping/ fishing machine, flat bottoms are not for everyone but this boat has and is serving us very well. 

3rd 26' welcraft with twin 350 I/O's lets say I picked that up for $3000 them proceeded to rebuild motors, drives, transom, put a 1/2tower on it W/outriggers and stopped counting the cost of that build at just over $21,000 and started calling it maintenance.  But that's not a lets TEST out get into boating boat. 

And like Gotsea touched on, you gotta love it. If your wife does give it a try you may find the love for the water too. 

Gestapo 

• FlecFlec Posts: 654 Officer
    If you buy a used boat make sure you go for a test ride. Go full throttle for at least a couple minutes to make sure it is not overheating. 
    Flec said:
    If you buy a used boat make sure you go for a test ride. Go full throttle for at least a couple minutes to make sure it is not overheating. 
    I say get a surveyor, it is $ well expended if don't know much about boats  
  • cftsmokecftsmoke JacksonvillePosts: 282 Deckhand
    I’d look into one of those boat rental clubs where you just pay a membership fee and whatever boat you want is ready and waiting for you for the day. 
    Should Be seriously considered,  a good way to learn and much easier to get out of than buying.  When you know you like boating, you’ll have a better understanding of what you want in your own boat.  Just my .02.
    2005 Everglades 290 Pilot.  Twin 250 Verados.
    +1 to cftsmoke