Home Off Topic

What would do?

Replies

• GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,493 Admiral
    A million dollars ain't all that much anymore.

I'd spend it. 

Wouldn't take much time.

“Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 991 Officer

Just be a good person and turn it in. $1 million in bunch of usps packages most likely in the $9,999 range in a garbage bag is perfectly normal and whoever left it on the side of the road for their friend to pick it up is your everyday good citizen. She made him do it.
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,274 Officer
    Upon reflection, I would give it to Bimini, to start a pac, and his own peer group. It’s just the right thing to do. 
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,612 Admiral
    You would be king in a strip club.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,144 Admiral
    My luck they have the serial numbers on file and the first dollar bill I spent somehow it would be found out and they would track me down like a dog and throw me in jail.
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 1,274 Officer
    What would be the charge?
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,468 AG
    Good question. Is there a law that says if you find money of any kind or amount that you must turn it in??
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited May 21 #39
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 2,133 Captain
    My concern would be if it was counterfeit. I would like to think I would turn it in, but that would take a lot of thought.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    What would be the charge?

Unfortunately, in Florida, the rules of “finders keepers” don’t apply. Theft by finding is actually a crime.

The law

Florida law states that if find lost or abandoned property and take it for yourself, you could face criminal charges, fines and jail time:

• If you take a low-value item (worth less than $300), you could face a petit theft charge—the penalty for which is 6–12 months in jail and $500–$1,000 in fines.
    • If you find and take a higher value item, this is considered grand theft. The punishment for this crime is up to five years in jail and as much as $5,000 in fines.
    https://www.floridacriminaljustice.com/blog/2019/01/theft-by-finding-an-examination-of-florida-law/
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,454 AG
    Way to rain on the parade gandy!!!
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.

The cost of doing the right thing

Being a good Samaritan comes at a price, however. If you turn over a found item, you must pay for the police department’s costs of advertising and storing it. While this represents a financial inconvenience up front, it is only temporary. If the true owner claims the items within 90 days, they must pay you back for your expenses. If the true owner does not come forward within this timeframe, you may keep the found item yourself.

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,110 Captain
    Couldn’t of said it better.  :D 

One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    So pervert is back not saying anything?
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 480 Deckhand
    johnpowers said:\

No one uses cash anymore??
     What universe is that in? Cash is still king. 
     $100 bills, have you been grocery shopping? You can burn a Cnote and not have much in the buggy. 
    I'm a single old man and I still burn a couple of $100 a month at the market - but I pay with ATM, as do most.  Some still pay by check and some with cash - small bills.  I can't remember the last time I saw someone flash a $100.....it's been years.

I'll ask Cadman for his input.  In his business, he'd be the one on the spot to know who's paying with what.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,921 Moderator
    Gary S said:
    Evidently he has nothing to say, just likes to hang out. He's like that old timer who sits on the porch at the old store and never says much. Just grunts every once in while.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,272 Officer
    I haven't used cash for years.  Cash back credit cards really add up.  They also provide other benefits, like not losing a million on the side of the road.

Evidently pervert had enough to say to get banned.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

Cashless society is just one more step towards the end of times. 

Won't let the powers that be tattoo numbers on your forearm but you will let them control you in every other fashion. 
    Facial recognition will replace the need for the tattooed numbers or a chip under your skin. 

Line up we are nothing more than cattle...... 

I had to get some gas from a welding supply store yesterday and they would not accept cash. Only wanted checks and credit cards, said the bank was closed so they couldn't deposit the cash and didn't want it sitting around. Then I went to a metal place that only takes checks and cash.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,180 Admiral
    Gary S said:
    He's making a point.
    I forget what it is.
    I think it has to do with the moderator..
    He posts his comment then he deletes it and leaves a period.
    So maybe he's on his period?

Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Ron38SpecialRon38Special S FloridaPosts: 65 Deckhand
    I would buy a bigger safe for the house for sure!!
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,308 Admiral
    When I cash my check that's all they give me is 100's.  I don't deposit my check.  They use my money for 3 days til the check clears.
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,363 Admiral
    For some reason all my construction company workers prefer to get paid in $100's
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,308 Admiral
    They can send it to Mexico easier.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,690 AG
    edited May 25 #57
    gogittum said:
    johnpowers said:\

No one uses cash anymore??
     What universe is that in? Cash is still king. 
     $100 bills, have you been grocery shopping? You can burn a Cnote and not have much in the buggy. 
    I'm a single old man and I still burn a couple of $100 a month at the market - but I pay with ATM, as do most.  Some still pay by check and some with cash - small bills.  I can't remember the last time I saw someone flash a $100.....it's been years.

I'll ask Cadman for his input.  In his business, he'd be the one on the spot to know who's paying with what.
    Hate to tell you John, cash is not king. Try paying cash at a car dealer and you will pay more for the car. Cash is good for private sales, but most business don't care which you use and a few places won't even take cash these days for security reasons. You can tell who the old folks are when they use that expression in today's society. 

80% of my business is credit or debit card. Only old people use cash these days. Younger people will buy a $1 drink with a debit card. it is the same in the grocery store. If you see anyone using a check under 70, it is likely going to bounce. I think nationwide the average is 30% of all sales is cash and the rest are credit or debit. 

$100 is an interesting question. The only people I see use $100 bills is hispanics and tourists heading down I-75. Usually the tourist are older people too.

It is usually people who actually get a paper check and don't have bank accounts that use $100 bills like Hispanics. Some of those even get paid in cash. The only other time I see them is the occasional moron who has a huge wad of money with a $100 bill on the outside and ones on the inside. He still thinks it is the 80s where that impresses someone. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,442 AG
    we have a couple restaurants here that are cash only.

they do pretty good business too.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,493 Admiral
    I spend $100 bills all the time. 

Heck, most youngsters use their phone to pay for stuff.
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,675 Admiral
    I'm dumping $46 one dollar bills next trip to town..Tired of them taking up room
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,389 Captain
    Do you guys disinfect those debit and credit cards after passing 'em around like a bowl of chips at last years party?