Home Off Topic

Flying to North Carolina

Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,458 AG
Light traffic,  no lines at all in airport. Place looks like its 6 am.

Hopefully the planes on time. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Abraham Lincoln

Replies

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,164 Admiral
    That's the least of your worries.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,458 AG
    What are the worries?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,356 AG
    No worries. NC is pretty much open. No eating in restaurants and that is about it.  Where are you flying in to?

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,666 Admiral
    Coffee Shop being closed...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Asheville. Thinking about moving here. 

Most shops are closed.  Charleys. cheese steaks is open and killing it. The ticket count since this morning is #2275. And that is not the plates/sandwiches they have done. 

Abraham Lincoln
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    If your planning on flying anytime this year now is the time to book a flight. You will never find prices this low. 
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,359 Admiral
    If your planning on flying anytime this year now is the time to book a flight. You will never find prices this low. 
    Very true.  I booked a flight about 3 months ago, just for the hell of it I checked the fare for the same flight and it was $144 cheaper.  Canceled original flight and re-booked the same flight.

Had to make a flight change on another flight, normally this would cost quite a bit to change, the customer rep just labeled it as Covid-19 related and no charge for change.   
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,315 Officer
    Yep! Bought step son a flight this weekend. Round trip to indiana was $138 over memorial weekend.
    Jason :USA
  • Lineman North FloridaLineman North Florida Posts: 359 Deckhand
    I flew out of Gainesville to Charlotte had a 30 minute layover then flew into Asheville a couple of weeks ago for $134 bucks , the plane from Charlotte to Asheville only had 10 of us on it.
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    Going to Montana in September, booked round trip, Delta comfort, $435 round trip. Last year it was $660 in the cheap seats!
  • Flats2blueFlats2blue Posts: 278 Deckhand
    I flew this past weekend, Fri - Mon, to Ohio from Tampa.  Airline requires (with exceptions) face mask.  TPA to Charlotte flights were nearly full.  Charlotte to Columbus had more room.   I opted for first class for only $200 more for the trip ($620 total).  Last minute flight for a funeral, but I thought the fair was low.   No food/drink served in coach, drinks in first class on only the TPA/CLT legs.   All in all a good experience and flying through security lines was a nice change.  Tampa economy parking is nearly empty.

Abraham Lincoln

Azaleas at the house we're looking to buy. 

Abraham Lincoln
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,819 Moderator
    Pretty place. Asheville is a cool place to be. Got a place about an hour or so down the road.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Mango Man said:

Most shops are closed.  Charleys. cheese steaks is open and killing it. The ticket count since this morning is #2275. And that is not the plates/sandwiches they have done. 

Come on down to Hendersonville, I am just 20 minutes south of Asheville.  Alegiant flies nonstop from AVL to a bunch of FL airports.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    Mango Man said:

Is that a Japanese maple?  Beautiful
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
    Mango Man said:

Come on down to Hendersonville, I am just 20 minutes south of Asheville.  Alegiant flies nonstop from AVL to a bunch of FL airports.
    Hendersonville is a cool place. Have stayed at The Charleston Inn several times. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Mango Man said:

We were there. We fly Allegiant & southwest depending on the days traveling. I am looking forward to a change of scenery. 

Abraham Lincoln
    spangler said:
    Mango Man said:

Is that a Japanese maple?  Beautiful
     Yup. You see a lot there.

Abraham Lincoln
  • kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,621 Admiral
    edited May 21 #21
    North Carolina is my favorite state to date.  I love having mountains/trails/trout/waterfalls to the west and ocean/brackish/drum/trout/flounder to the east.  Despite having great access to outdoor activities, North Carolina still has a low population density and low cost of living.    

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    kellercl said:
    North Carolina is my favorite state to date.  I love having mountains/trails/trout/waterfalls to the west and ocean/brackish/drum/trout/flounder to the east.  Despite having great access to outdoor activities, North Carolina still has a low population density and low cost of living.    
    Being a native tar-heel, I agree. Tennessee is another state that I like a lot. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,621 Admiral
    kellercl said:
    Being a native tar-heel, I agree. Tennessee is another state that I like a lot. 
    Small-ish world.  I moved from TN to NC.  TN was quite nice as well.  NC trumps TN, only because I can be flounder fishing in 3-4 hours.  

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    I like TN too, loved Gatlinburg but hated Pigeon Forge, the redneck Rivera. 

Where we're looking is a quick drive to Gatlinburg. 

Abraham Lincoln
    There are a lot of little towns within daily driving distance from there. Waynesville, Dillsboro, Franklin, Highlands, Cashiers, Clayton. They all have festivals different times of year but especially late summer and fall. Some great bluegrass festivals if you're into that. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• MelbourneMarkMelbourneMark Posts: 2,166 Captain
    There are a lot of little towns within daily driving distance from there. Waynesville, Dillsboro, Franklin, Highlands, Cashiers, Clayton. They all have festivals different times of year but especially late summer and fall. Some great bluegrass festivals if you're into that. 

My grandparents moved to Cashiers area ~40 years ago from central Florida.  My gramps did a handshake deal with a local to buy some land, whose family had been there for 100s of years. They are one of the rare ones who live year round and still chop their own firewood for heat.  Most folks only stay 1/2 the year as the winters can be rough.
    I have been visiting my entire life.  That area is beautiful.  BUT, dang did the have a boom the past 10years or so.  The secret is out for sure, and there seems to be a new golf course community being built every few weeks.  The lot prices are insane!

I hated to see the area boom with visitors, but thats what happens to all beautiful places.  My wife and I spent 3 weeks with my grandparents last year, and we hiked dozens of waterfalls in the area.  
    There are some new restaurants/breweries now in cashiers/highlands, which is nice.   I recall that my gramps used to have to drive to Franklin to pick up booze as their county was dry!

I could easily retire there in a few decades, but I would prefer to be closer to the saltwater.   Plus, by then I may not like how the area turned out. 
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 6,359 Admiral
    If I had to do it all over again as far as living location I would have picked NC or TN.  Lived in Greenville, NC during a 6 month contract job, loved the small-town atmosphere and landscape.  Drove through TN on many occasions and fell in love with that area too.

Work opportunities and fishing kept me in S. FL  Looking at getting a summer place somewhere in the future, maybe in NC or TN.
    Mango Man said:

Hendersonville is a cool place. Have stayed at The Charleston Inn several times. 
    I added two new breweries to the list on Saturday....we are up to 9 now within 5 miles of downtown.

Restaurants are now open with inside seating.
    That's great news as I am sure we'll need heading back up soon. 

Abraham Lincoln

My grandparents moved to Cashiers area ~40 years ago from central Florida.  My gramps did a handshake deal with a local to buy some land, whose family had been there for 100s of years. They are one of the rare ones who live year round and still chop their own firewood for heat.  Most folks only stay 1/2 the year as the winters can be rough.
    I have been visiting my entire life.  That area is beautiful.  BUT, dang did the have a boom the past 10years or so.  The secret is out for sure, and there seems to be a new golf course community being built every few weeks.  The lot prices are insane!

I hated to see the area boom with visitors, but thats what happens to all beautiful places.  My wife and I spent 3 weeks with my grandparents last year, and we hiked dozens of waterfalls in the area.  
    There are some new restaurants/breweries now in cashiers/highlands, which is nice.   I recall that my gramps used to have to drive to Franklin to pick up booze as their county was dry!

I could easily retire there in a few decades, but I would prefer to be closer to the saltwater.   Plus, by then I may not like how the area turned out. 

The winters are only rough if you are from Florida. They are no worse than central NC. I would guess the area doubles in population in the summer and mostly FL tags.... Half-backs.
  • cracker4112cracker4112 Posts: 822 Officer
    My mom was a half back.  Has a beautiful home in Wolf Laurel.  Since grandkids though, she doesn’t go up near as often.  WC is a special part of the country