Home Off Topic

My truck has a bent frame cross piece

2»

Replies

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 421 Deckhand

They know the bushing is bad but say I need to get that little bend fixed for the bushing to fit right. 
     To me that's a classic case of we can make a little $$$ off of a bushing job, but we can make a hole nother  $$$$ off of a frame machine job. 

I'm not there looking at it, so I dont really know. Thats just how most shop's work though.
     I just suspect you're getting pined on something that the original body shop should have handled & I do agree it should be fixed to be right. However once its been "worked" on it will never be right again. You've been driving it how long like that & Probably never suspected a thing. 

I used to have this one mechanic he would say "YOU MIGHT AS WELL." 
     The customer would bring it in for something on the front & next thing you heard was "YOU MIGHT AS WELL" & he would be working on the back of the car on something completely unrelated. When I would say something about it he would say "I NEED TO FEED MY KID'S." 
     Thats a true story. 
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 471 Deckhand
    edited May 18 #33
    cadman said:
    At least Dodge doesn't suffer from the death wobble 

No, it just suffers from bent parts as you mentioned.
    I bought my '02 ¾ ton Dodge diesel with 1T rear axle/springs new and never had any kind of failure.  That thing went thru the wars with me, too, carrying a 10 ft self-contained camper off highway and towing a 2,000# boat in some gawd-awful places.  Frame and running gear was massive compared to any other pickup I've owned.  Thing weighed 7700# on the CAT scales with 30 gal fuel - that's a lot of steel.  In 165,000 miles it never developed squeak or rattle one.  I loved that truck.  I was always a Ford man up until I bought that big Dodge.....I wanted that Cummins diesel and wasn't impressed with Ford's V8.  They cackled.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,616 AG

They know the bushing is bad but say I need to get that little bend fixed for the bushing to fit right. 
     To me that's a classic case of we can make a little $$$ off of a bushing job, but we can make a hole nother  $$$$ off of a frame machine job. 

I'm not there looking at it, so I dont really know. Thats just how most shop's work though.
     I just suspect you're getting pined on something that the original body shop should have handled & I do agree it should be fixed to be right. However once its been "worked" on it will never be right again. You've been driving it how long like that & Probably never suspected a thing. 

I used to have this one mechanic he would say "YOU MIGHT AS WELL." 
     The customer would bring it in for something on the front & next thing you heard was "YOU MIGHT AS WELL" & he would be working on the back of the car on something completely unrelated. When I would say something about it he would say "I NEED TO FEED MY KID'S." 
     Thats a true story. 
    Since the bushing and control arm are covered under the lifetime warranty, I kind of feel you might be right, Still waiting to hear a price. Took it back in at 2pm today and the body shop is supposed to look at it this afternoon or in the morning. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,164 Admiral
    How many miles are on that creampuff?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 6,576 Admiral
    Bushings wear out that’s a fact. I don’t think your frame is an issue personally but who knows?

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,458 AG
    How many miles are on that creampuff?
    Lol.

It sounds to me that they're trying to get more money. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    edited May 19 #38
    Bushings wear out that’s a fact. I don’t think your frame is an issue personally but who knows?
    I think they are going to have problems getting the new bushings in.
    Its hard to say with just that one picture.....and getting under the truck for more pictures means...you might get dirty.
    Taking the wheel off would mean using a big wrench...and you have to find the Jack thingy.
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
    All you have to do is put it on the lift and raise it as high as you want.

It is in the shop, in case someone missed that. 

Mini Mart Magnate

The body shop did it for $265.

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:

Could be worse.....
    Did that include the bushings? Or just straightening the frame?
    The bushing is under warranty.

Mini Mart Magnate

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,819 Moderator
    You need to put a lift kit on that truck or stop driving over curbs.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,045 Officer
    That’s awesome. Anytime it comes under budget it’s a win. Now keep it between the ditches and drive on.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,457 AG
    cadman said:

Lets  us know how many body people we have on here with their guesses on prices. 

THat truck should not hit a curb on that part specially if a fo by fo
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 1,784 Captain
    Wouldn't that void that warranty?  
    Wouldn't that void that warranty?  
    yes 

Mini Mart Magnate

• demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 421 Deckhand
    cadman said:

Hey if they did it for $265 you made out! Thats a steel! Who cares if they put on the frame machine or not. The bushing job would have cost at least that much if you had to pay for it. 

Glad to hear its working out for you! 

edited May 30 #49
    They  still haven't figured out the noise yet 
    Been in and out three times and going back in Monday.

Glad this is under Warranty.

They have replaced a bunch of stuff and used chassis ears? on it trying to solve the noise.  Service writer said four different mechanics have driven it with four different opinions on what is wrong.

I think it is something simple they are just over looking. But I don't mind all the new parts.

Mini Mart Magnate

Stabilizer link......?