Home Off Topic

My truck has a bent frame cross piece

cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,690 AG
Never had this happen and still have a no idea what I hit to bend it. I did bottom out on my brothers dirt road a while back trying to cross over a grass median and not realizing how high the drop was, I guess that might have done it, but I can't see how that bend a frame piece.

The front cross piece which is welded to the frame rails is bent on the right front where the lower control arm attaches. I noticed a noise when I made right turns or went over speed bumps. Sounded like it came from the rear when you were in the cab , but it only happened when the front went over the speed bump and the dealer found the bent frame piece when they were diagnosing the noise. 

They thought the control arm was bad at first until the tech notice the bent frame piece. 

They want to send it to the body shop monday to have the control arm removed, the frame heated and the piece bent back straight. It is bent in maybe 1/2 inch and won't take much to straighten. It is u shaped and the U is closed more than it should be is the only way I know to describe it. 

No front end damage to the truck other than this bent area, so whatever I hit just impacted this one area somehow. I can't see how it did it on it's own.

Any idea what this will cost me? Anyone ever have this happen? I can't see more than $500 myself. 

Any body repair guys here?

Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Replies

• mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,180 Admiral
    Let me guess....
    You own a dodge truck....right?
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,690 AG
    yeah why?

Mini Mart Magnate

• onthefiftyonthefifty Posts: 4,093 Captain
    Welcome to the wonderful world of dodge trucks...
  • AC ManAC Man Posts: 6,144 Admiral
    cadman said:
    yeah why?
    He,s just messing with you. I know you have posted Dodge truck lifetime warranty. Gotta keep that going. I have the best chassis and body man in town if you want to drive to Ocala. 
    At least Dodge doesn't suffer from the death wobble 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    At least Dodge doesn't suffer from the death wobble 

No, it just suffers from bent parts as you mentioned.
    Any truck can get a bent part. I guess none of the peanut gallery has anything helpful, 

When Ford offers me a lifetime warranty let me know.

Mini Mart Magnate

edited May 18 #9
    AC Man said:
    cadman said:
    yeah why?
    He,s just messing with you. I know you have posted Dodge truck lifetime warranty. Gotta keep that going. I have the best chassis and body man in town if you want to drive to Ocala. 
    I expect no less from the peanut gallery. 

The dealer can take care of it, looks pretty minor, just curious what it might cost before they tell me tomorrow, 

Mini Mart Magnate

cadman said:
    Any truck can get a bent part.

Did you cause the bent cross member?
  • restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,323 Captain
    I thought you had said in the past it was bumper to bumper lifetime warranty? I have no idea on a price so can’t help you there
    cadman said:
    Any truck can get a bent part.

Did you cause the bent cross member?
    Don't know how else it got bent. Do you have evidence that frame parts bend themselves? If you do, please source it and i will bring it to The dealer's attention. I googled and found nothing that it was a known issue. 

Mini Mart Magnate

edited May 18 #13
    I thought you had said in the past it was bumper to bumper lifetime warranty? I have no idea on a price so can’t help you there
    it is bumper to bumper, but it won't cover damage which this appears to be looking at it. I just can't remember hitting anything that hard other than bottoming out that one time. 

If I can find evidence they bend on their own I would argue the case. 

I did T-bone an idiot back in 2011, but the service guy says he didn't think it was from then. Maybe it was and the bushing wore out and is causing the noise. I don't know. 

Service guy did say the warranty will cover the bushing and a new control arm if needed, but not the frame piece, 

Mini Mart Magnate

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,073 Officer
    If just heating and machine straightening and one guy, I’ll hazard $435.96. I’m guessing hourly rate of $135.00 and they provide the parts. But then.....
    swampdog said:
    If just heating and machine straightening and one guy, I’ll hazard $435.96. I’m guessing hourly rate of $135.00 and they provide the parts. But then.....

Thst is close  to what I hoped. I told the service writer if it less than $500 to just do it. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 991 Officer
    If there was enough load on your frame to bend a crossmember and you were present it would be memorable
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,685 AG
    edited May 18 #17
    If there was enough load on your frame to bend a crossmember and you were present it would be memorable
    Depends on frame strength.
    I doubt they will heat it, cold form with a frame machine (do they exist) or porta power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYu-rSx5xjc

• Gary SGary S Posts: 2,133 Captain
    cadman said:
    AC Man said:
    cadman said:
    yeah why?
    I expect no less from the peanut gallery. 

A little touchy against someone trying to help. Bo Duke.
  • mindyabinessmindyabiness Posts: 6,180 Admiral
    gandrfab said:
    Depends on frame strength.
    I doubt they will heat it, cold form with a frame machine (do they exist) or porta power.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYu-rSx5xjc

It's probably just pot metal.....bend it back with a 12" crescent wrench. Ha
    Arguing with idiots is like playing chess with a pigeon... No matter how good you are, the bird is going to crap on the board and strut around like it won anyway.
  • GardawgGardawg Posts: 9,493 Admiral
    Who else has driven your truck? 
    “Today a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration, that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively, there is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

Heres Tom with the Weather.”
  • Buford CletusBuford Cletus Posts: 1,766 Captain
    cadman said:
    Any truck can get a bent part. I guess none of the peanut gallery has anything helpful, 

When Ford offers me a lifetime warranty let me know.
    Ford doesn't need to offer one.  They traditionally outsell the competition handily without offering it.
    That is what I thought. I think it had to be the 2011 wreck and the bushing wore out finally.

Mini Mart Magnate

Gardawg said:
    Who else has driven your truck? 
    Nobody.

Mini Mart Magnate

Here is a photo of the bent piece. 

Mini Mart Magnate

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,921 Moderator
    Looks like you whacked a curb. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,308 Admiral
    Have you ever compared a Ford and Chevrolet chassis?  The Ford truck is thin compared.
  • johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    cadman said:
    Here is a photo of the bent piece. 

Hit something? Maybe a bicyclist? ;)
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 422 Deckhand
     I would bet its going to cost a lot more than $500 to put it on the frame machine. If the truck was in an accident in 11 that is probably residual damage. 
     A vehicle is never the same after accident repairs. I always push for totaling the vehicle out when there is frame damage of any kind. 
     With all that said. I dont really see anything wrong in the above picture, besides where it was marred up by "fixing" it. It's likely you've been living with a bent frame for years. I am shore there are plenty of alignment/geometry issues with your frame. Knowing about those trucks I would look into whats actually causing the noise & repaire the problem. The residual damage has been there and was likely only discovered because of your noise complaint. Besides it was the body shop that originally repaired your trucks responsibly. 

My guess is you have bad ball joints & or control arm bushings. Depending on the noise you complained of. 

Looks like you whacked a curb. 
    Still don't remember doing it, but it is what it looks like. 

Mini Mart Magnate

I would bet its going to cost a lot more than $500 to put it on the frame machine. If the truck was in an accident in 11 that is probably residual damage. 
     A vehicle is never the same after accident repairs. I always push for totaling the vehicle out when there is frame damage of any kind. 
     With all that said. I dont really see anything wrong in the above picture, besides where it was marred up by "fixing" it. It's likely you've been living with a bent frame for years. I am shore there are plenty of alignment/geometry issues with your frame. Knowing about those trucks I would look into whats actually causing the noise & repaire the problem. The residual damage has been there and was likely only discovered because of your noise complaint. Besides it was the body shop that originally repaired your trucks responsibly. 

My guess is you have bad ball joints & or control arm bushings. Depending on the noise you complained of. 

They know the bushing is bad but say I need to get that little bend fixed for the bushing to fit right. 

Mini Mart Magnate