Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Protect the land to protect the water......yes?

Our oldest daughter put this together for St. Johns Riverkeeper. As I looked at it the thought occurred that we who fish and hunt need a jolt now and again to remember that land conservation, water quality protection and even our buying decisions unrelated to either hunting or fishing have a huge impact on the places we need to be able to hunt and fish.

Take note of the part about SFI and the amount of water that gets filtered by forest land. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbFY8cdnB-w&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• shallowvshallowv Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Cool video.  So much diversity.  What are the biggest things average folks can do to pitch in?
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,868 Admiral
    I think we often forget how many of us there are who hunt and fish, and then we forget to factor in the multiplier of our family and friends who may not do either but are supportive of the activities. With that in mind, and realizing that we're really talking about a large number of people the concept of individual action all of a sudden makes a lot of sense......and has a impact.

While neither you nor I can clean up the river for example, we can surely stop putting fertilizer on our lawns. And then we multiply that direct personal action by simply advocating for the same from our friends, family members and neighbors. If there are thousands of us fishermen, fishermen who know the necessity of water quality!!, out there doing that there will be a reduction in the amount of phosphorous and nitrogen that ends up in our waters.

And of course in Florida it is the phosphorous and nitrogen that are the prime culprits in the algae blooms that kill fish generally foul things up. You get a couple of thousand fishermen to stop with the fertilizer, and then those fishermen nudge another few thousand of their friends and family to do the same and you got something.

A couple of hundred pounds of fertilizer each year, or how many gallons of the highly concentrated liquid that gets sprayed?, multiplied by a few thousand is a serious improvement. We don't consider this but by doing that it's like removing completely some number of direct discharges from treatment plants. And we know that by removing the discharge from a treatment plant helps.

But how do you shut off a discharge? Darn hard to do when there are people washing clothes and flushing toilets. So.....do what we can. Best part of this sort of action is that there is no force of government involved. Not that there isn't a place for government in protecting our water but rather that in a free society we do what we can individually and voluntarily first, resorting to force only in the most extreme instances.  

That's just one simple example. 

As for land conservation, unless you or a family member or a friend owns land you're path of action really comes down to being vocally supportive of both the completely voluntary work of the various land trusts around the state and of some reasonable level of funding for state efforts at the same.

You'd be darn surprised how many private land owners are more than willing to donate part of the value of conservation easements across their land, especially folks in rural areas who are engaged in agriculture on a generational level. They're no more interested in having the state paved over than you are. Add to that the fact that they see the economic value of the land clearly and have some attachment to it......and the willingness becomes understandable.

And I could go on..........but won't......leaving off with this: If those of us who use and enjoy, who have the quality of our lives enhanced by being able to get on the water and in the woods simply do nothing we are dooming our children and grandchildren to not having the option.
  • RedactionRedaction Posts: 1,595 Captain
    edited May 13 #4
    Nice video Ben, really makes you think...the apple doesn't fall from the tree.

I'll definitely look for the logos on paper products.

BTW, you cursed me years ago (not really, you opened my eyes). You made a comment about St. Augustine grass, about how much water it needs, etc. I can't recall exactly what it was...bottom line I think you were concerned about the amount of water that is "wasted" to keep it lush and green.

I still water my grass, but not near as much as it needs. It's probably the least watered yard on our street and it looks it. Almost every time I do, I think about how many yards are being watered on a daily basis and wonder how many gallons are used and how long will it last. It's crazy.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,880 Captain
    edited May 16 #5
    Attempts to expand wetland upland buffer by just a few feet trounced years ago.
    Present day Easement et al efforts will not mitigate water management district / Sector Plan and related vast Vested development plans.
    We are simply feasting on past results, even if not currently seen,no matter how packaged now.
     Concerned landowners....... it was great to see the Florida Wildlife Federation gain control of a five acre tract that thwarted a road / development proposal. Should not have to come to that. 
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,868 Admiral
    Redaction said:
    Nice video Ben, really makes you think...the apple doesn't fall from the tree.

I'll definitely look for the logos on paper products.

BTW, you cursed me years ago (not really, you opened my eyes). You made a comment about St. Augustine grass, about how much water it needs, etc. I can't recall exactly what it was...bottom line I think you were concerned about the amount of water that is "wasted" to keep it lush and green.

I still water my grass, but not near as much as it needs. It's probably the least watered yard on our street and it looks it. Almost every time I do, I think about how many yards are being watered on a daily basis and wonder how many gallons are used and how long will it last. It's crazy.
    Glad the "error of your ways" was corrected by just a little nudge..... B)

And your right, to actually "curse" at someone is not really my MO. Not that I don't get more than a little frustrated by things but I've never quite figured out how to change the mind of someone who I've trashed. And lord knows it's the changing of minds that matters.

Plus there is the flip side. As I know I am as prone as anyone to be wrong about things now and again, which means I have to actually listen to and think about what others offer as evidence or ideas, I can't be trashing those who I may ultimately end up on the side of. Disagree, even do so loudly and forcefully, drop every bomb of evidence we have when debating a point but don't demonize as compromise with a demon is near on impossible.

Wait.....I segwayed over into POLITICS.......rant over......................