Home Off Topic

What do yall think about the shooting in Brunswick GA?

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 16,985 AG
    edited May 25 #332

Here's the part you conveniently left out: He was chased for how many minutes by two gun toting rednecks?  After the father parked the car in the middle of the road, the dimwitted son jumped out of the truck with a gun to what?  Compliment him on his choice of running shoes?

First off It is a pickup truck not a car.  Where do you see the father redneck parking the truck in the middle of the road?
    Who is in the bed of the truck?  
    Sorry, sometimes overweight inbred murderous rednecks are hard to tell apart in shaky phone video.  So we are clear:  It was a pickup truck and it was the son not the dad that drove and got out of the truck -- as if that changes anything that happened that day:

So, how long did they chase him, or are you going to ignore the tough questions to ask me some more impertinent ones?

edited May 25 #333
    Cagey said:
    A few details are coming out about the past criminal record of not only Ahmaud Arbery, but basically his family as well.

"When he was in high school, Arbery was sentenced to five years probation as a first offender on charges of carrying a weapon on campus and several counts of obstructing a law enforcement officer. He was convicted of probation violation in 2018 after he was charged with shoplifting, court documents show."

"“This family are not strangers to the local criminal justice system,” Barnhill wrote in his letter to Carr. “From best we can tell, Ahmauds older brother has gone to prison in the past and is currently in the Glynn jail, without bond, awaiting new felony prosecution. It also appears a cousin has been prosecuted by DA Johnson's office.”

Raised in a family of crime and caught on camera committing more crime! Defense lawyers are going to have a field day with this one like they did with Trayvon Martin and Michael Brown. All criminals.

"At about 7pm on February 11, around the time the surveillance camera was next triggered, Travis McMichael made a 9-1-1 call (also obtained by the Atlanta Journal-Constitution). In it, Travis reported a black male having just entered the construction site.

"When I saw him and backed up, he reached into his pocket and ran into the house," Travis told the operator. "I don't know if he was armed or not but he looked like he was acting like he was." He said the man had "a flashlight looking through the house." He added, "we've been having a lot of burglaries and break-ins around here." 

"In his analysis, Barnhill also cited in passing the state's stand-your-ground law—a law that became controversial in the Trayvon Martin case in Florida. (Contrary to pretrial speculation, Zimmerman's defense team did not ultimately invoke Florida's stand-your-ground law at his trial.) Barnhill didn't spell out what he had in mind, but it appears to relate to the fact that Travis McMichael had no duty to retreat when Arbery came towards him. "In some states, a person with a weapon has to retreat 'to the wall' before he can resort to using lethal force," Carlson says. Georgia is one of the more than twenty stand-your-ground states, however, he says. "If a person fears for his life, he's allowed to use a forceful response."

"Barnhill raised one additional defense in his letter—a surprising one. "While we know McMichael had his finger on the trigger," Barnhill writes, "we do not know who caused the firings." What he means is that the gun may have gone off not because McMichael pulled the trigger, but rather because Arbery was pulling the barrel during the scuffle. "Arbery would only [have] had to pull the shotgun approximately 1/16th to 1/8th of one inch to fire [the] weapon himself and in the height of an altercation this is entirely possible."

Finally, Barnhill, after raising the accidental shooting argument, raised a knotty evidentiary question. "Arbery's mental health records & prior convictions help explain his apparent aggressive nature and his possible thought pattern to attack an armed man," he wrote.

"In late 2013, when Arbery was 19, he allegedly tried to bring a loaded Big Bear .380 handgun into a high school basketball game. When officers tried to stop him, he fled and, though he was apprehended, a school officer fractured his hand in a fall. Arbery was indicted for that event in January 2015 and charged with two gun counts and three counts of obstructing an officer, according to the Brunswick News and a Jacksonville TV station. It's not clear how the case was resolved. In 2018, he was convicted of shoplifting and probation violation, according to the New York Times."

"Carlson believes prosecutors will have to be careful not to inadvertently open the door to allowing that evidence in, by somehow implying that Arbery was law abiding or non-aggressive by nature. "I expect a real court dogfight on this issue because admission of the prior misdeeds will damage the prosecution," Carlson says."

"But just as important as the facts is the jury pool that will sift through them. That D.A. Barnhill saw no need to make any arrests, and that the McMichaels themselves thought Bryan's cell phone video was helpful to them, may signal that many local jurors' perspectives may not align with the public whose outrage ultimately prompted the charges."

Another issue to be brought out is Ahmaud Arbery was wearing Khaki shorts that make jogging and running difficult, and are not the sort of clothing one would normally wear if going jogging. This tends to point to the fact he was not out for a jog, but out for other reasons like what was caught on camera.

I'm sure in your mind that anyone with a record, or even comes from a family of someone who does, deserves to have a gun pulled on them and shot for the high crime of walking into a house under construction.

And I'm sure that you, of all people, understand that accusations (like the gun one in 2013)  are not proof of anything.  Neither his is brother's record.  

Or does innocent until proven guilty only apply to murderous rednecks?

But maybe the jury will believe the first, second, and third shots were all Arbery's fault and not the idiot who chased him in a pickup truck and then pulled a gun on him predicating the entire encounter....because, you know, he was wearing khaki shorts, walked through a construction site, and some black guy stole a gun out of their truck in the past and all.

You like to talk about mob rule other nonsense, but look right past the mob of two that killed him.  

Funny how that works.

• CageyCagey Central FloridaPosts: 917 Officer
    According to prosecutor Barnhill, there is the possibility here that Ahmaud Arbery pulled on the gun causing the trigger to be pulled himself.

So this is a suicide by good old law abiding rednecks being victimized yet again!  B)

Funny how that works!
    edited May 25 #335
    Yeah, that might explain the first one Arbery got through the hand.  But three?

Please.  Not even you believe that.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,608 Admiral
    Overweight , Inbred ,Murderous Rednecks...Wow , Triggered  Much ?
    It's pretty obvious you want the White guys to burn in Hades..Predjuctied maybe ?
    White Guilt maybe ..
    We'll teach them Gun toting Bible Thumpin  Rednecks some manners ...Rock on , But I think your heart is gonna get broken..Tears on your pillow and all that...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    edited May 25 #337
    Actually, I'm just countering Cagey's language.

I thought you of all people, TRT, would appreciate calling it like I see it as you don't tend to mince words either.  

Perhaps my words hit a little too close to home.   ;)
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 7,608 Admiral
    Not at all..And I like your conversations....And as you mentioned. I'm Calling it like I see it..
    Maybe we're watching a different Channel ..But the way I see it is certainly different than yours.
    No Harm , No Foul...Rock on
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,407 Captain
    Would you prefer I listen to tapes that nobody has heard?

What's more to the story except pruner john's burning desire for additional information to exonerate two stupid rednecks of felony murder?
    Yes if you want to make an informed decision. Try it. You're certainly not use to that of course
    We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
    edited May 25 #340

So, how long did they chase him

In the above photo clearly shows Ahmaud Arbery is chasing down and pursuing the armed men. No one has their hands on Ahmaud. No one is false imprisoning him. No one is pointing a gun at him. And yet Ahmaud Arbery keeps running towards armed men. Step by step, foot by foot, inch by inch a man of his own freewill chooses to close in chase down and pursue armed men and without hesitation violently attacks them.

Your picture above tends to implicate Ahmaud Arbery as the aggressor as does the first prosecutor.

And your description of inbred overweight murderous rednecks shows not only prejudice, but a large degree of disdain bordering on what I and others might consider hate to some degree.

Do you hate white people and Southerners you call rednecks? Are Southerners just dumb people to you?

If these men who do not have a criminal record are acquitted of murder will you agree with it and accept it? Would these men ever earn any form of respect from you? How about all of us Southerners? Are we just inferior people to you?

This is not the first time I have noticed derogatory language directed at us Southerners as if we are all bad horrible people inbred and stupid white folk you know with our bibles and all that hateful stuff like God and guns we dumb Southerners cling to and all.

• dave44dave44 Posts: 10,845 AG
    Cagey said:

In the above photo clearly shows Ahmaud Arbery is chasing down and pursuing the armed men. No one has their hands on Ahmaud. No one is false imprisoning him. No one is pointing a gun at him. And yet Ahmaud Arbery keeps running towards armed men. Step by step, foot by foot, inch by inch a man of his own freewill chooses to close in chase down and pursue armed men and without hesitation violently attacks them.

Your picture above tends to implicate Ahmaud Arbery as the aggressor as does the first prosecutor.

And your description of inbred overweight murderous rednecks shows not only prejudice, but a large degree of disdain bordering on what I and others might consider hate to some degree.

Do you hate white people and Southerners you call rednecks? Are Southerners just dumb people to you?

If these men who do not have a criminal record are acquitted of murder will you agree with it and accept it? Would these men ever earn any form of respect from you? How about all of us Southerners? Are we just inferior people to you?

This is not the first time I have noticed derogatory language directed at us Southerners as if we are all bad horrible people inbred and stupid white folk you know with our bibles and all that hateful stuff like God and guns we dumb Southerners cling to and all.

He said yes. In every post every day.
    edited May 26 #342
    Cagey said:

If you think he was chasing them down, you're delusional.  To the contrary, stupid redneck dad called 911 and proved he was the one doing the chasing. Have you listened to it yet?   Add to that redneck #3, who also now stands accused, was in chase.   Arbery was surrounded and ambushed and chose to fight back...as was his right.

To answer your silly question:  No, not all southerners are dumb rednecks.  On the ones that have red necks and act dumb -- you know, like the two geniuses pictured earlier in this thread who took the law into their own hands and now are sitting in jail because of their stupidity.

Of course I'm using prejudicial language.  I speak that way primarily to egg you on, but also in response to your own prejudice, which has been on display in this forum since you first posted here.  If you can do it, why can't I?   

Who said I was talking about you?   But come to think of it....Maybe talk more about the northern war of aggression, how great and honorable man General Grant was, that the colored folk would be better off as slaves, or how idyllic the south would have been had they not lost their war to keep them as property....because I could be wrong and that's just your southern guilt on display in a really backwards way.

You gave yourself away long ago, Cagey.  Don't get upset at me for pointing it out.  Own it...like those other flags you so proudly display, but don't forget the last and most important one: The white flag of surrender.

Eight or so circuitous generations ago and you're still sore.
    edited May 26 #343
    Would you prefer I listen to tapes that nobody has heard?

What's more to the story except pruner john's burning desire for additional information to exonerate two stupid rednecks of felony murder?
    Yes if you want to make an informed decision. Try it. You're certainly not use to that of course
    But where will I find them???

Are they hidden under your "d" key?
    edited May 26 #344
    I read too many history books- oh, the ones written by Southerners. Northern history books are just propaganda. I love this stuff!
    edited May 26 #345
    The south was devastated for their love of slavery and you contend they just would have given it up?  That's funny.

I think all you left out of your fantasy was black zombie slaves coming out of the grave to get their revenge.  lol

The redneck racists are outnumbered 10:1, and just because you read something on the internet doesn't make it true or even remotely likely, and this time they'll have to go against tanks, planes, and drones with their AR-15s.  That is to say they stand no chance.

But, hey, your web fantasies do give some likeminded souls hope their great, great, great, great, great grandparent's **** whooping was for some good instead of the bloody stain in the history of this fine country that it really is.
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 1,431 Officer
    Why is it that so many that take such pride in calling it like they see it, are the first to take offense when others call it like they see it when it comes to them? 
    edited May 26 #347
    Surely you aren't talking about me because I am not offended. I really could not care less. Just fun discussion is all it is. Infotainment I like to call it. Good old down home infotainment!

I had ancestors who fought on both sides. One went on to become Commander In Chief under President Grant. My 5th great uncle by direct male lineal descent. So on the one hand some of my ancestors were beaten down, while on the other hand some of my other-side ancestors did the **** kicking to the rebels, and after that war did it to the Indians, and then Mexicans, and then Indians again, and again, and whoever else stuck their necks out next. Just the way it goes I suppose!

Rednecks are racists? Are they the only ones you consider as racists? All of them? Can others, say black people be racist? Like when Ahmaud Arbery attacked the armed white people, could that have been his racist hatred exposed by his intense violence towards them? Is it possible? Could his violent attack on them be a racist hate crime?

I don't think the problem of racism is as one-sided as you fantasize it to be.

Take the case of Kori Ali Muhammed

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/confession-accused-fresno-spree-killer-wanted-kill-many-white-men-he-could/FGWQSR255JH3LHE2OYOH4Y63FE/

Confession: Accused Fresno spree killer wanted to ‘kill as many white men’ as he could

And how about this little beauty:

So you know Tarp, it goes both ways. But do you admit it? Or, continue to cling to your obviously outed one-sided intense dislike for overweight inbred dumb stupid idiotic murderous only rednecks are racists as you put it?
    edited May 26 #348
    So you've got a direct line to the rearend-hurt and chosen the losers instead of the winners.  Interesting -- some guys just like the underdog, I suppose.

My ancestors fought for the winning side in that war and the revolutionary one that preceded it.  So what?

No, not all rednecks are racist.  Just the racist ones.  Generally, but not always, they like to do things like post a flag of secession, chant latin, or call the civil war the war of northern aggression rather than simply own up to their views.  Racism, you see, is generally frowned upon and after getting their **** kicked and the world changing in the past 150+ years, they are a bit more careful than when they used to go around in white outfits burning flags and stringing up people for similar crimes as the one that Arbery was murdered for.

Of course it could have been Arbrey's racism that in part caused him to strike back when chased by and then confronted with firearms.  It could also be that he decided that his life was in danger and he wanted to defend himself.  Unfortunately, we can't really ask him due to the acts of the accused, so we're left with all sorts of things like prior bad acts or his brother's record as if that somehow gives us justification for the murder that was committed that day -- a 21st century lynching.  

Only this time it was caught on video, and the murderers are in jail instead of chuckling about it at the grand wizard's house.

Progress!

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 918 Officer
    Took another look at the video. What’s interesting to me is, as the suspect is running on the left side of the street and the person outside the truck is on the left side near the front drivers side. The runner switches to the right side of the street maybe to avoid a confrontation, (just a thought) and the man on the ground goes from the left side of the truck towards the right and apparently towards the runner (both are out of sight). Then both people come left, back into view from the front of the truck. As I said, this one will be very interesting.
    edited May 26 #350
    Cagey said:
    I read too many history books- oh, the ones written by Southerners. Northern history books are just propaganda. I love this stuff!
    It's been a while, but I have read them both.  You don't learn much reading only the side you align with, Cagey, and it's clear you love this stuff -- even fixated enough to bring it up when it's impertinent to the discussion as it is here.  The real question on my mind is:  Why???

And if you believe that only one side is propaganda, then you are even more gullible than I thought.

The truth is somewhere in the middle as it usually is, and you would be wise to consider that truth.
    edited May 26 #351
    I missed this part as I think you were still editing your post when I replied:
    Cagey said:
    So you know Tarp, it goes both ways. But do you admit it? Or, continue to cling to your obviously outed one-sided intense dislike for overweight inbred dumb stupid idiotic murderous redneck Southerners as you put it?
    Of course it goes both ways, but I'm going to stick to my hating overweight inbred dumb stupid idiotic murderous redneck southerners until I learn something that changes my mind, that is to say factual rather than your opinion.

Do I strike you as someone who gives up an argument easily?  ;)
    I missed this part as I think you were still editing your post when I replied:
    Cagey said:
    So you know Tarp, it goes both ways. But do you admit it? Or, continue to cling to your obviously outed one-sided intense dislike for overweight inbred dumb stupid idiotic murderous redneck Southerners as you put it?
    Of course it goes both ways, but I'm going to stick to my hating overweight inbred dumb stupid idiotic murderous redneck southerners until I learn something that changes my mind, that is to say factual rather than your opinion.

Do I strike you as someone who gives up an argument easily?  ;)
    Well I did have to frame it up just right and smooth out the delivery some- oh and tame it down some too while I was at it.

Facts don't matter! We can argue BS forever!
    edited May 26 #353
    I don't get nearly as upset as you do to edits -- I do it all the time so how can I -- I just didn't want you to think I was avoiding your questions.  I hate it when people do that.  ;)

If you've not already:  Listen to the 911 tapes.  Note the times. I'm sure the prosecution has.
    edited May 26 #354
    It's been a while, but I have read them both.  You don't learn much reading only the side you align with, Cagey, and it's clear you love this stuff -- even fixated enough to bring it up when it's impertinent to the discussion as it is here.  The real question on my mind is:  Why???

Gotta root out why you have a fixation against Southerners you describe in such deplorable ways... You are stereotyping all of us in very general terms.

You should come to some of our meetings one day! lol

Did you know northerners are actually some of the most active members while Southerners don't really give a hoot much? Kind of funny actually. When re-enactments happen, sometimes we gotta make people put on blue because everyone wants to wear grey!
    edited May 26 #355
    Not really.  You are just taking my stereotypes as comments towards you.  We both know why, and in fairness I'm anything but subtle about it.  ;)

Thanks for the invite, but I'll pass.  My mouth would get me into trouble, I'd be outnumbered, and I'm a lot of things but shy and dumb are not among them.  :)
    edited May 26 #356

And there it is! The truth is now out there. So it does not matter if the two armed men were the greatest guys in the world with not a shred of racism in them or hate for anyone- just because they are white and Southern makes them racist rednecks. All of us.

And that folks is why Ahmaud Arbery is dead today. Because all white Southerners are just a bunch of overweight inbred dumb stupid idiotic murderous rednecks - had to copy and paste all that...

Got it!

OK, we can all go back to regular programming now. Mission accomplished!

Oh and the meetings really are kind of fun sometimes... And yes, I counted these flags more than once...

If this is inbreeding then count me in! I better suck it in so I don't look so overweight...

edited May 26 #357
    The truth was always out there, Cagey.  You've just finally realized it....except it wasn't all of you, my ire is saved for only the dumb and murderous amongst you.  I kind of like you, even if you're incredibly biased and misinformed.

Moving on:  Although their eyes are a touch too wide apart to suggest pure blood, I'm guessing those ladies aren't related to the family of inbred murderers.  ;)

Moving on again, and warning you that your head may explode if you read it, have you seen this:

Justice Department launching investigation into Ahmaud Arbery's death as a hate crime, family's attorneys say

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/justice-department-launching-investigation-into-ahmaud-arberys-death-as-a-hate-crime-familys-attorneys-say/

What are you going to do with yourself if the administration you undoubtedly support goes against you?

Perhaps you can start a 2nd secession over the injustice?  :)

Have a good evening, Cagey, I'll catch you on the 'morrow....Mike
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,237 Moderator
    Sheesh........wore my butt out just reading all that.
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• dave44dave44 Posts: 10,845 AG
    Sheesh........wore my butt out just reading all that.
     You actually have to read it? You’re job is much harder and more tedious than I thought!
         I had a hard time just skimming it.
    edited May 26 #360

Moving on again, and warning you that your head may explode if you read it, have you seen this:

Justice Department launching investigation into Ahmaud Arbery's death as a hate crime, family's attorneys say

I saw that, but don't put much stock into it. Just more appeasement for the mob to try and keep them calm and not rioting.

They did the same thing for Trayvon Martin when they investigated George Zimmerman for violating his civil rights.

It went no where.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/federal-officials-close-investigation-death-trayvon-martin

Department of Justice
    Office of Public Affairs

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Federal Officials Close Investigation Into Death of Trayvon Martin

The Justice Department announced today that the independent federal investigation found insufficient evidence to pursue federal criminal civil rights charges against George Zimmerman for the fatal shooting of Trayvon Martin on Feb. 26, 2012, in Sanford, Florida.  Prosecutors from the Justice Department’s Civil Rights Division, officials from the FBI, and the Justice Department’s Community Relations Service met today with Martin’s family and their representatives to inform them of the findings of the investigation and the decision.

Nothing but BS over a self defense case as we all found out. I expect the same thing to play out here. Throw out a few bones for them to chew on to make it appear something is being done when in truth there is nothing there to investigate really.

Their eyes were too far apart? Wait, they have eyes? Did not notice.
    edited May 26 #361

"Ahmaud's mom, Wanda Cooper-Jones, thinks her son was at the construction site to inspect the wiring.

She said: "I think that when he went into the property, he probably was looking to see how they were going to run the wire or how he would do the job if it was one of his assignments."

Sure he was! The video clearly shows him walking up to walls and looking at the wiring only and how it is done in the dark! Yeah right. Video shows he was not looking at any wiring in the dark.

And then there is this one in the news... an interesting twist of law if a journalist can be considered as a legal expert:

"Georgia’s citizen’s arrest law requires arrestors to have “immediate knowledge” of the misdemeanor in question. In one relevant case, a judge explained that “immediate knowledge” is a synonym for directly witnessing a crime with one’s own senses. Though the McMichaels might have seen video footage of a man who resembled Arbery trespassing on previous occasions, they did not physically witness him trespassing on the day of the shooting."

Is a text from the violated homeowner considered as "immediate knowledge"? I am sure we will find out as the trial proceeds.

***And a correction needs to be made... Barnhill was prosecutor number 2, not number 1 as previously stated.

This thread was started on May 8, just 18 days ago. And with 90 people shot to death in USA every day, that adds up to 1,620 people shot and killed in America since this thread began. Besides Ahmaud Arbery can you name one of them?

And so what makes this case have more importance than the thousands of other cases we never hear about? Kind of ironic that unless there is a public outrage we never hear about it. DOJ does not launch into hate crimes investigations and civil rights violations, etc. Only by publicizing a case does it rise to a level of turning it into a circus like this one.

And there is only one reason for it.