Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Avoiding grunts

We were getting destroyed by grunts last Saturday while bottom fishing in in 90-100 ft. I had a little bit of success by keeping the baits a few more cranks off the bottom than usual, but still had a lot of trouble evading them. We fished 5 different #s and it was the same at all of them. Is there a reason that grunts are worse on certain days? Any advice on avoiding them would be awesome. Thanks. 

Replies

• L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 682 Officer
    My first knee jerk would be to match the hatch and rig up one of the grunts.
  • Cast_N_BlastCast_N_Blast JaxPosts: 1,437 Officer
    We we're targeting trigger fish and bliners. To my knowledge, they wouldnt hit grunts... the triggers at least. 
  • L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 682 Officer
    I'd be on the hunt for a few grouper in that case. 
    L8RBRA said:
    I had one rod set up for grouper w live pogies on the bottom but it kept getting smoked by red snapper. 
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,057 Captain
    I think the grunts are always down there but hit more when the bigger fish are not actively feeding and probably get out of the way when the bigger fish are strongly feeding but who knows.  One option is cut the grunt up and use medium size pieces of it.  We've caught some beeliners and triggers with that.  At least it doesn't come off the hook on the first grunt hit like squid/sardines can.    
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 13,228 AG
    break out the grits.   
    Like is like a Helicopter.  I do not know how to operate a Helicopter  
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 437 Deckhand
    L8RBRA said:
    My first knee jerk would be to match the hatch and rig up one of the grunts. 
     That was my first thaught. 

Cast_N_Blast said:
    L8RBRA said:
    I had one rod set up for grouper w live pogies on the bottom but it kept getting smoked by red snapper. 
     Use a grunt bigger than the pogys. 

We we're targeting trigger fish and bliners. To my knowledge, they wouldnt hit grunts... the triggers at least. 

I think the grunts are always down there but hit more when the bigger fish are not actively feeding and probably get out of the way when the bigger fish are strongly feeding but who knows.  One option is cut the grunt up and use medium size pieces of it.  We've caught some beeliners and triggers with that.  At least it doesn't come off the hook on the first grunt hit like squid/sardines can.    
     If you're after red eye & triggers. 
     Cut the grunts up into strips, or do a belly plug. 
     Start chunking them over to get the vermilion up off the bottom. Sand ball with grunt chunks. 

• Sea SnakeSea Snake Posts: 5,531 Admiral
    OR if looking for grouper, butterfly the biggest grunt and cut out the backbone, and put a big circle hook through his lips.....something big will definitely eat it. 

A grunt plug will work good as well on the big seabass.....cut off the head, tail, and top fins an bottom fins and put the hook through the tail part about a inch up.....drop it down, you'll fell peck, peck, peck ....then the biggest sea bass will get tired of his little cousins and grab it and eat the whole thing !!

...or a snapper

...or a SHARK

...or a grouper

But yes....Capt George always told me, if you're catching grunts.....that is free bait !!

Even a whole live one hooked behind the dorsal will get attention.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 7,870 Admiral
    Sea Snake said:
    OR if looking for grouper, butterfly the biggest grunt and cut out the backbone, and put a big circle hook through his lips.....something big will definitely eat it. 

A grunt plug will work good as well on the big seabass.....cut off the head, tail, and top fins an bottom fins and put the hook through the tail part about a inch up.....drop it down, you'll fell peck, peck, peck ....then the biggest sea bass will get tired of his little cousins and grab it and eat the whole thing !!

...or a snapper

...or a SHARK

...or a grouper

But yes....Capt George always told me, if you're catching grunts.....that is free bait !!

Even a whole live one hooked behind the dorsal will get attention.
    If the darn pictures were not so OLD to where they are only PRINTED I'd post solid testimony to what SS said here!!

A large grunt chunk will draw small fish which will get the attention of the larger fish.
  • shallowvshallowv Posts: 463 Deckhand
    Hey, dont knock grunts.  I caught a mahi, a blackfin and the biggest cobia to date on those suckers