Home Boating

Yamaha F 150 Gauges

Rocky TopRocky Top Knoxville TN/Boca Grande FL.Posts: 32 Deckhand
The lenses on the gauges of my 2012 Yamaha F 150 have become so crazed from sun exposure that they simply cannot be read, especially the fuel gauge! Can the lenses be replaced, or, as a last resort, does anyone know where I might find used replacement gauges?  I am located in S.W. Florida.

Replies

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,308 Captain
    Can you tell if it's just a surface thing or all the way thru the plastic ??  I had good results on a motorcycle's headlight cover a year or 2 ago by polishing with a kit I bought online.  Takes some elbow grease but worked very well.

Then again, on that same motorcycle the digital gauges were badly darkened and almost un-readable by the sun and it was the gauge faces, not the plastic covers.  The analog speedo and tach were OK.  Had no choice but to replace the instrument cluster.  eBay came thru on that.

Hmmm....??  I wonder....??  I have a set of diamond rock polishing disks out in shop that go all the way down to, I think, 8,000 grit or so.  I'll take a swing at polishing a piece of plastic with those later on and see how they work.  I "think" they're small enuf to fit down inside a gauge bezel.  Stay tuned.
  • gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 2,308 Captain
    Well, it were a good idea, anyway.  Don't have any clear plastic, but found a piece of thick black plastic with a finely pebbled surface, about like 120 grit sandpaper.  Started with 200 grit and worked down to 3,000 grit.  (the kit only goes to 6,000 grit)  It's designed to attach to a standard angle buffer/polisher which I don't have, so hand built an adapter out of a bolt that lets me chuck it into a drill.  It wobbles a little, but works fine on rocks.

Plastic is soft and I tried light and heavy pressure, flat & at an angle, with and without water and it did work.  Sort of.  Polished that plastic glass smooth in just a few minutes, but left bad swirls on the surface.  Maybe using a polisher, but wouldn't take a chance.  Sorry.....I tried.
  • electrodogelectrodog Posts: 162 Deckhand
    Rocky Top said:
    The lenses on the gauges of my 2012 Yamaha F 150 have become so crazed from sun exposure that they simply cannot be read, especially the fuel gauge! Can the lenses be replaced, or, as a last resort, does anyone know where I might find used replacement gauges?  I am located in S.W. Florida.

Try http://gaugesaver.com/  I had the same issue on my tachometer- could barley read it. They made it look good as new.