Skip to main content
Home Photography Corner

Wildlife of Paynes Prairie and River cooters

Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Posts: 1,074 Officer
edited April 2020 in Photography Corner #1
Posted this wildlife video as a comment earlier.  I decided to post it again. Because it went on notice and like to share since I am bored to death in the house.  I know they are not great photos because I took them with a low price digital camera but I am proud of the variety of animals.  There are a couple of photos that I believe could not be taken anywhere else in the world but at Paynes Prairie.  One-shot shows Alligators, bison, and wild horses in the same shot.  Don't know where else this could happen.  You may get a gator and wild horses together on Cumberland Island, Georiga, but no bison.  These photos were taken over several years, the prairie had changed over the year because of floods and they fill in a canal so as of now it a big change but the animals by the hundreds are still there.  If you go check out Sweetwater Wetland Preserve and Lachua trail for all the animals.
The turtles photos were taken mostly on the Santa Fe River near High Springs.  If you ever tried to photograph them you know they can be very shy.  Any noise and sudden movement they will jump off the log in a second. I once had a photo that was lost when the computer crash of 133 of them in the same shot.  I know a few of them may be a different type of turtle buy most appear to be Florida Red-bellied.
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XAOlduz1xg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yUOorI_vt3w

Replies

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,650 Captain
    Very nice.  That'll be a go-to place when I get to FL.  Thanks.
  • ruttedupbuckruttedupbuck Alachua FLPosts: 84 Deckhand

Posted this wildlife video as a comment earlier.  I decided to post it again. Because it went on notice and like to share since I am bored to death in the house.  I know they are not great photos because I took them with a low price digital camera but I am proud of the variety of animals.  There are a couple of photos that I believe could not be taken anywhere else in the world but at Paynes Prairie.  One-shot shows Alligators, bison, and wild horses in the same shot.  Don't know where else this could happen.  You may get a gator and wild horses together on Cumberland Island, Georiga, but no bison.  These photos were taken over several years, the prairie had changed over the year because of floods and they fill in a canal so as of now it a big change but the animals by the hundreds are still there.  If you go check out Sweetwater Wetland Preserve and Lachua trail for all the animals.
    The turtles photos were taken mostly on the Santa Fe River near High Springs.  If you ever tried to photograph them you know they can be very shy.  Any noise and sudden movement they will jump off the log in a second. I once had a photo that was lost when the computer crash of 133 of them in the same shot.  I know a few of them may be a different type of turtle buy most appear to be Florida Red-bellied.

The sweetwater wetland restoration project has definitely changed the prairie quite a bit. I have a piece of land off 441 that shares property lines with the state park and after the wetland restoration project the deer were gone in my area. I assume they are no longer able to travel across the prairie like they were years ago. I heard millions of gallons of water each day were being dumped onto the prairie, it hasn’t rained much at all and the prairie hasn’t shown signs of drying up. Obviously still a very unique place but I wish it would dry up so the Excellent hunting would return to my place haha
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,982 Captain

The sweetwater wetland restoration project has definitely changed the prairie quite a bit. I have a piece of land off 441 that shares property lines with the state park and after the wetland restoration project the deer were gone in my area. I assume they are no longer able to travel across the prairie like they were years ago. I heard millions of gallons of water each day were being dumped onto the prairie, it hasn’t rained much at all and the prairie hasn’t shown signs of drying up. Obviously still a very unique place but I wish it would dry up so the Excellent hunting would return to my place haha
    How’s the duck hunting?
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.

How’s the duck hunting?
    On my property? I have two small ponds that hold huntable numbers of wood ducks each year. Usually can get a few good shoots in when the live oaks are dropping acorns on the ponds edges. 

Obviously I wouldn’t expect anyone would try to hunt on the actual prairie, but I’m sure it would be one he** of a hunt haha. I see tons of woodies flying in and out of the prairie and hear quacking all morning long when deer hunting. 

I would rather never shoot a duck again on the property to have the deer hunting back though 👍👍👍
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,982 Captain
    edited April 2020 #6

How’s the duck hunting?
    On my property? I have two small ponds that hold huntable numbers of wood ducks each year. Usually can get a few good shoots in when the live oaks are dropping acorns on the ponds edges. 

Obviously I wouldn’t expect anyone would try to hunt on the actual prairie, but I’m sure it would be one he** of a hunt haha. I see tons of woodies flying in and out of the prairie and hear quacking all morning long when deer hunting. 

I would rather never shoot a duck again on the property to have the deer hunting back though 👍👍👍
    I’ve always dreamt of dropping the airboat in the prairie. I hunt a private lake adjacent to it on occasion. I have a biologist friend that counts ducks on the prairie. Crazy late season videos of widgeon. They should open it up to boats. I drove into Gainesvile today on 441 and every no parking sign had a car parked in front of it. Everybody was fishing and jumping fences. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.

How’s the duck hunting?

I’ve always dreamt of dropping the airboat in the prairie. I hunt a private lake adjacent to it on occasion. I have a biologist friend that counts ducks on the prairie. Crazy late season videos of widgeon. They should open it up to boats. I drove into Gainesvile today on 441 and every no parking sign had a car parked in front of it. Everybody was fishing and jumping fences. 
    Rarely do I see anything other than woodies in my small hardwoods ponds, years ago i shot a few mallards during a bumper crop of acorns falling in the pond. I think they were lost and came in from the north Florida regional hospital pond though 😝. They sho nough ate good though. I got a bud who hunts a small prairie off 234 on the east side of road and he tears up the teal every year. 

It is my opinion (take it with a grain of salt because I’m **** to the fullest extent about alachua lake returning) that the state/county is allowing people to fish off 441 to keep people in the dark on why the prairie isn’t drying up, which is due to the millions of gallons of storm water being dumped through sweetwater each day. Keep folks happy letting them fish no one will question why the prairie hasn’t dried at all. They were talking about adding a designated parking area along that stretch of 441 and turning it into a park. Not sure what stages of that they are into already. 

I live off millhopper rd on the edge of San Felasco hammock, if you want some woodies find you a couple sloughs on the edges of that park and get permission and you’d never have a dull morning ha. 
    I kayaked from 441 to the lachua trail lookout tower a while back, neat little paddle trip