Skip to main content
Home Sportsman's Kitchen

simple food(and cheap)

beans and homemade cornbread today. need to thin out the pantry.
le se' bon ton roulet

Replies

• altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,166 Officer
    Do like me some beans and cornbread. Especially as the weather is starting to cool off.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,078 AG
    Make mine chili and cornbread

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,666 Captain
    edited September 2021 #4
    Add a good hot bowl of greens and I’m on board… Mustard, collard, turnip greens (and you’ll have to go aways to beat the ones that Glory cans up as well).

I must still be a country oh at heart…
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • smooth movesmooth move Posts: 536 Officer
    we were raised in a single parent home and i was the oldest, so i cooked a lot of beans. Mom would say that by the time i was grown, i'd hate beans. she was wrong. i like em all. favorites are little red kidneys and pintos. rice with the reds and cornbread with the pintos.
    le se' bon ton roulet
    My Dad used to make a navy bean soup (a really thick one) that was simmered slowly for hours with a smoked ham hock... You could live on that with a bit of diced onion or green onion on top and a piece of cornbread.... He was born in Town Creek, Alabama in 1916 - wish he were still around.  He was a true depression era kid who supported his Mom (my grandmother) from when he was only 16 years old until 1968... Folks today have no idea how fortunate they are... 

This thread has brought back some old memories.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • The_Bearded_AnglerThe_Bearded_Angler Tampa native living in GaPosts: 367 Deckhand
    edited September 2021 #7
    My Dad used to make a navy bean soup (a really thick one) that was simmered slowly for hours with a smoked ham hock... You could live on that with a bit of diced onion or green onion on top and a piece of cornbread.... He was born in Town Creek, Alabama in 1916 - wish he were still around.  He was a true depression era kid who supported his Mom (my grandmother) from when he was only 16 years old until 1968... Folks today have no idea how fortunate they are... 

This thread has brought back some old memories.
    Kinda the same as my dad (born in WV 1940) used to make for us but his was giant white butter beans simmered all day with ham hocks, rice and corn bread. Mmmm.
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,166 Officer
    Pot of beans, rice and cornbread fed the whole family on the cheap.
    Back before they went to food stamps poor people could get "commodities"
    including a bag of beans, bag of rice, flour, meal, real butter,
    and the best tasting cheese you could find.
    Buy some seasoning meat or kill some meat, was good living.
  • mudflatmarkmudflatmark tampa, clearwater, cape san BlasPosts: 7 Deckhand
    We Ate Lima beans and rice when I was a kid I still love them @ 71
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,093 Officer
    Any kind of beans and rice are always gonna be high on the list for stuff that's tasty, filling, relatively simple, and dirt cheap. Cuban black beans or Indian chickpea curries like chana masala or chana saag are tops for me. Buy spices for the curries whole and in bulk at an Asian market near you and they're a fraction of the cost of the little jars of pre-ground stuff at Publix.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    My wife, from India, makes great curries and I can vouch for beans and rice from any culture, particularly red beans and rice from Louisiana or black beans and rice from our local Cuban culture.  Good healthy basic food.  Add a bit of meat or other side dishes and live like a king.
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,093 Officer
    As someone who loves cooking and was doing so on a college budget until fairly recently, legumes have been held in high esteem for a while!
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
  • TerribleTedTerribleTed Posts: 351 Deckhand
    edited December 2021 #13
    Beer Bread basically it biscuit bread. 2 cups flour, 1/2 cup sugar small spoon of salt or less, a spoon of baking soda a warm beer mix, pour in loaf pan pour a 1/2 to 3/4 stick melted butter over it and bake some were around 350 for 45 yo 60 min. Simple