Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Yankee Capts. Mar 11-13. Fill The Boxes Please!

Life can be a big pressure and seemingly uncontrollable, or it can be an orderly rearranging of unexpected events. Well, fishing can fit in either category and my most recent trip on the Yankee Capts. had a bit of both.
Just as our spring departure from Florida loomed on the horizon, I had one more trip possible, another charter hosted by JP and Amanda from up north. Wind was once again an issue and shortened the window of opportunity. These folks had all traveled a long way and were probably more anxious than I, after all, I am spoiled and have an open fishing schedule, weather permitting.
Capt Greg made the call, leaving early Wednesday and starting our fishing just after dark. Jigs instantly produced a flurry of activity, more than the few bait fishermen could produce. Lots of tuna and muttons, plus jumbo porgies. The hot bite Then swung over to bait, with jumbo fish coming over the rail. And it went that way, as it often does.
When the bite slowed a bit, Lyndon and I recalled a bait suggestion he had given me several years ago, that had given me huge success.  Ever hear of "pig in a blanket?" Well neither had I. So after further discussion about it with Chef Chad and a minor modification in preparation, I decided to give it a try. And it worked like a charm.
Major secret, reveal time! 
So, start with a squid and a ballyhoo, pull the tentacles out of the squid and then keep cutting bits off the tail end of the squid, till you see small hole leading into the body cavity. Next shove the bill of the ballyhoo into the squid, until the bill comes neatly out the hole. Before cutting the bill off the hoo, using your favorite hook, knotted to your go-to leader, pierce through the squid and ballyhoo, just behind the bill, from under the mouth, coming out centered in the area below the eyes of the hoo. (see the picture) You can't actually see the head of the ballyhoo at this point, cause it's shoved up inside the squid.
So now, cut the tail off the ballyhoo and butterfly the portion not covered by the squid condom, removing the spine.
This is a quite messy and a bit uncomfortable for both of the baits. So before sending it to the bottom, wash your hands! 
It is a great presentation, as it rarely spins, it's easy to eat and gets results! Plus, a dozen hoos and a pound of squid are about $15 at Publix.
Back when Lyndon first showed me this trick, eight years ago, I only used boat bait, I hadn't discovered goggs or speedos, which are very effective most of the time. But when I started pulling in 15 pound muttons, anglers were soon running to the stern of the Yankee Capts, grabbing squid and ballyhoo and consulting Lyndon for the method.
So, with limited time to catch, we darned near filled the boxes in about 24 hours. Most of us were at the rail the majority of the time, but toward the end, there were only three or four fishing. It takes a bit of endurance to fish hard for long periods of time!
Hats off to Capt Greg and the crew and thanks JP and Amanda for having me along! It was a hoot!
We are all working through difficult times right now. Be safe, be healthy and soon there will be fishing.
Cameron

Replies

• tdericksontderickson Augusta, ME Posts: 32 Deckhand
    Thank you Cameron, glad you made 1 last trip.  I've never seen that trick, but I won't forget it when I get back in 2021.  Travel safe.   My best wishes to Greg, and the rest of the crew.
    xenia said:
    Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.  Not sure if you had nothing better to do today, or once again proving you're a ****.  Ignore the haters Cameron
  • xeniaxenia Posts: 699 Officer
    If I hated Cameron, which I don't since I never met him and have nothing against him, I wouldn't bother to post anything.  You on the other hand.....
    Yet, this is the second time in as many weeks you've  bashed his report.  Told him to ignore the haters, not you hate him.  Yet you hate me because I called you out on it even though we haven't met in person?  I'll await your glowing reply to Cameron's next report.
    I may surprise you and give him praise.  From the photos he looks like a real nice guy.  He's enthusiastic, loves to fish, and takes the time to write a very optimistic report for each of his trips.  I, on the other hand, am extremely jaded and no longer a nice guy.  Being a nice guy didn't get me any dates in high school!  You guys think I have some hidden agenda or have something against Cameraon or Capt Greg or something. You are so wrong!  My only interest in asking for numbers relating to these catches is to gauge what the fishing is like out in those unspoiled areas relative to what it's become in the heavily disturbed areas I fish close to home.  I would love for the fishing to come back in Key Largo, or even off Key West proper to what I saw many years ago.   That is all. I have nothing against Cameron, you or anyone else on the forum.  That last post with the Muppet guys was a joke.  I hope you can at least see that.
    Ok, I worked for Greg for 5 years, and never had the pleasure of meeting Cameron.  I envy the guys that get to fish with Greg regularly. I'm sure you're joking about being jaded all the time, as every day can be a good one.  We'd probably get along on a fishing boat
    Come down and you can go on mine.  I'm sure you could probably teach me a few things, and I may have a couple tricks I can teach you.  Even after 45 years, I'm always trying to learn!  Just as a warning, most people can't tell when I'm joking, which is most of the time.  Us old fishermen never die, we just smell that way!
    Lol, that was really good
  • JCameronRSleepJCameronRSleep marathon flaPosts: 60 Deckhand
    xenia said:
    Better to remain silent and thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt.  Not sure if you had nothing better to do today, or once again proving you're a ****.  Ignore the haters Cameron
    Thanks for the support. You got it right the first time. A bully is no different at any age, abuse is abuse. Don't believe the cover up. A very fishy smell here! LOL