Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Kingfish bite is hot

alaprovaalaprova Posts: 80 Deckhand
Went out the 21 and 22 and the bite has been great not big fish but great size for the smoker even caught a black fin Saturday, that was a nice bonus. We were able to catch a limit of kingfish both days. My girlfriend was even out there slaying them in the boot (she sprained her ankle pretty bad a few weeks ago)

Replies

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,375 AG
    Why did you have her chained up in the boat? :p
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 11,415 AG
    Anchor ****! C'mon Jerry.  :D

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • alaprovaalaprova Posts: 80 Deckhand
    edited March 26 #4
    I hate that anchor rode design, such a pain to put away lol
  • KylieWongKylieWong Posts: 29 Deckhand
    What area do you fish out of? Hearing some people getting them to the north but not many reports south...which is strange since they should be more south first
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,087 Officer
    That's a fat tuna. Nice one!
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,337 Captain
    That chain look is funny.  That is one way to try and keep her under control alex...
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
    @CaptainBly just trying to do the best i can
    we went out again today and once again got a limit Kings, lots of boats out for a weekday. Talked some friends at my marina who bottom fished, apparently it was tough fishing for them.
    What area are fishing out of? At Pete? Clearwater? Tarpon springs? Nice work man...btw
    My 7 year old said he wanted to go kingfishing so just trying to get an idea of they are in my area yet. I am more out of st Pete
  • MaineOffShoreMaineOffShore Posts: 118 Deckhand
    I lost a monster out of Tarpon today..I got one last weekend 16lbs and swear this thing would of ate him..Messing w my sons rod that was tangled and had a rod with weight I was using to see if any grouper were around drifting it while messing around it goes off.  Grab the rod and this thing came out of the water 3 or 4 times.. As I was bottom fishing no steal leader and we all know how it ended.  I was only 3 miles offshore in 30'..Ran out to 40-45' and didn't show much..All the bait I have seen have been in shallow.  Can't keep the 10-12" blue runners off my line 
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 774 Officer
    Can't keep the 10-12" blue runners off my line 
    What do you think those big kings are eating...
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 16,983 AG
    edited March 28 #14
    I lost a monster out of Tarpon today..I got one last weekend 16lbs and swear this thing would of ate him..Messing w my sons rod that was tangled and had a rod with weight I was using to see if any grouper were around drifting it while messing around it goes off.  Grab the rod and this thing came out of the water 3 or 4 times.. As I was bottom fishing no steal leader and we all know how it ended.  I was only 3 miles offshore in 30'..Ran out to 40-45' and didn't show much..All the bait I have seen have been in shallow.  Can't keep the 10-12" blue runners off my line 
    The really big ones are often caught close to shore.  30' is about right to be honest, and it doesn't surprise me at all.  It's even less of a surprise if bait was thick there (i.e. it's not a coincidence as kings follow the bait).

I had to do a double-take on your post, as at first I thought you said you "lost a monster tarpon today".  :smile:
    Hahaha..I wish.  Figured the kings where chasing them..I bought a couple king fish rigs but the stinger only goes to mid back..how can you tell what the gap between single and treble are while it is in package..These seen like they are more fir threadfin.  Should I just make my own custom
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 187 Deckhand
    Absolutely make your own rigs.  You will save a ton of money.  For bigger baits, for example Blue Runners, use a stinger hook.  Halfway back is fine.  The fish bite the tail-end first and then swing around and eat the remainder.  So, halfway back should hook them.  For smaller baits, a single hook will work.  The biggest kings I have caught, 47 and 48 lb, were caught with a single hook and no wire leader.  
    What Nitzey said...make your own. I use a light #2 wire. It's very easy to twist and make your rigs. They it so fast that sometimes all that hooks them is the stinger. Also that monster one you had on could've been a huge Cuda too...they love to go airborne
    I fish out of Johns pass all my fishing has been in 40-60ft in wrecks, artificial reefs and hard bottom, lot of big fish getting caught only a few miles of the beach.
    We had a fish that was definitely over 30 sky rocket on a bait Friday. I have been mainly using thread fin and white bait
    edited March 29 #20
    Hahaha..I wish.  Figured the kings where chasing them..I bought a couple king fish rigs but the stinger only goes to mid back..how can you tell what the gap between single and treble are while it is in package..These seen like they are more fir threadfin.  Should I just make my own custom
    Make your own.  it's not hard at all.

Nitzey, a few posts above, gave solid advice.

Here's a good video on the topic:

Hope this helps...Mike
  • captbonefishcaptbonefish UmatilaPosts: 910 Officer
    Great report. If a person can't catch a king or spanish this month, their fishing license should be inspected for malfeasance.
    Took the family yesterday. Went to a Pinellas reef and chummed. All you wanted. No real big ones but caught some on flats tackle so it was fun
  • dcgatordcgator Posts: 12 Deckhand
    My brother and his boys got this monster in the ditch this weekend. 66lbs.
    edited March 31 #24
    Yikes, that's a fatty!

I think I know where your brother lives.  ;)
  • Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,231 Moderator
    66 from the ditch, that is truly a beast, most tourny winners are high 40s, low 50s. Great job getting that to gaff.
  • hook_emhook_em Posts: 138 Deckhand
    That's a honker!
    Wow Nice King!  Made my own rigs the other day, made some for dead drifting and trolling naked baits and put a couple tinsel skirts on a couple others.  I had one skirt that I had that a Captain in NY had made for trolling the big King Salmon in Lake Ontario, caught my biggest King on it, just over 30lbs 10 years ago, it has been sitting in the mouth of the mount I have.  Decided it was not doing any good there. So I put it on one of the wire rigs I made hoping I can catch a King on it and send him a picture of his rig catching more than Salmon and Trout.
  • NitzeyNitzey Posts: 187 Deckhand
    Great catch at the ditch.  Went yesterday and got none.  When the tide turned in, bait surfaced in great quantities, and we had several hits, but got none to gaff.
    That's the biggest king I have ever seen. What a toad. 
  • aquajonaquajon Posts: 18 Deckhand
    Weather this weekend looks good
    going to give this king fishing a try along with some diving
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 774 Officer
    Always have the smallest guy on the boat hold the kingfish for the picture.  In all seriousness, though, I actually believe that king hit 66#.  Once they get that high back and thick body, you know it's a fish of some significant mass.  The dude in the picture isn't holding the fish out away from his body, and the king's back is as high as his waist is broad.  True honker.