Home Boating

Leaning post install

ragincajun92ragincajun92 Kingsland GaPosts: 465 Deckhand

Getting ready to remove the flip Flop cooler seat out of my 2018 key west 1720 and install a custom leaning post. The install kit comes with 12 #12 stainless screws and a tube of 3m 5200. My question is do you guys think the 5200 is the right choice for sealing and bedding the screws and platform? I don’t want this joker to move as I am a pretty big guy at 6ft2 230. Plus if anybody else is with me and leaning on it that is even more force and weight against it. I have no way of getting under the deck to use a plate or bolts and nuts. So this will be a screw down only and whatever Adhesive y’all recommend for bedding. Below is a picture of how the feet on the leaning post look And the mounting kit they supply..

My Fishing Videos and Reviews  https://www.youtube.com/user/85stangbanger 
Thanks for watching,liking and subscribing!

Replies

• gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,646 AG
    YES, 5200 is the real deal for this.
    Remove old cooler, this may not be fun. Do any repairs to the deck that are needed.
    Scuff the contact flats (points) on the post and deck where it is mounting. Do this so you won't see scuff marks outside of the mounting points.
    Drill your holes and mount it in place, remove then....
    Clean the contact flats (points)  lacquer thinner is what I use for it's quick evaporation and non residue feeling once wiped clean.

Put enough 5200 down so it will ooze out when screwed in place, screw it in place.
    Use old or fake Credit cards or something else to scrape and scoop up the exes 5200 as good as you can. 
    Then and this important use rags that are not white damped to soaked with lacquer thinner and wipe away the rest of the exes 5200.
    Let it cure, the bond is as good as you will ever need. 

pro tip: You use the rags that are not white so you can see where the 5200 is on the rags.
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 9,004 Admiral
    Sounds like you might of installed a few.
  • gandrfabgandrfab Posts: 21,646 AG
    I can remove it in application's like this too.  B)
  • nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 127 Deckhand
    If you ever need to remove anything that has been 5200'd, Once it is cured this stuff is the bomb to soften up 5200, let it soak then use single strand trolling wire like a garrote.

• Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,304 Officer
    Be sure to let the 5200 fully cure for several days.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • jsrodguy1jsrodguy1 Posts: 557 Officer
    you can get nylon type toggle bolts and embed those with 5200.