Home General Hunting

Lost Youth Shotgun

lookinlookin Posts: 1,399 Officer
Hey guys.  My son left his youth model shotgun in the woods at a NE WMA on the youth hunt the weekend before last.  

If anyone has found it, he'd love to have it back.

Thanks so much.
God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy

Replies

• micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    Hate that and hope he gets it back but how do you leave a gun in the woods when you are hunting? Did he go back and look for it?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 523 Officer
    Wow - hoping you guys can find it.

I was doing a site walk-thru years ago and found a pump shotgun leaning up against a tree - it was empty and rusted solid.  Who knows how long it was there.  Coworker wanted to restore it and did a pretty good job, he couldn't get the firing pin to work and didn't feel like spending money on it - uses it as a mantle display.
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 1,817 Captain
    I would put a sign at the entrance gate... good luck.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,738 Captain
    Yeah that sucks.  Hope you guys find it too.  Posting a sign is a good idea.
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • zimmy4209zimmy4209 Ocala FloridaPosts: 1,380 Officer
    Particularly turkey hunting I have a terrible time leaving stuff at base of a tree or dropping it on way down a path. Lots of strikers and odd gloves or face masks here and there but never my firearm. Hope it gets found and returned to your boy. 
  • joekat46joekat46 North PortPosts: 2,690 Captain
    It happens.  My buddy and I once left two cased 870s along a river bank in the pre dawn hours before a duck hunt.  Felt funny to throw out the decoys and then search the boat for the guns. Full speed run back to launch area found them still leaning against a tree. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 2,994 Captain
    That’s too bad losing the gun. If it’s in the woods, I’d go back for it. I agree about placing a sign at gate. If it fell off the vehicle, folks usually pick them up and keep driving.
  • lookinlookin Posts: 1,399 Officer
    Thanks guys.  It's mostly my fault for not realizing it sooner so not being too hard on the boy about it.  It was a single shot 20 ga that my wife and nephew killed their first turkeys with....sure be nice to get it back.
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,859 AG
    was it left in the woods or on the back of the truck?
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
    Left it leaning up against the truck.   :/
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,077 Captain
    edited March 2020 #12
    lookin said:
    Left it leaning up against the truck.   :/

I could see that being easier to do than leaving it in the woods. Back at the truck you think everything is accounted for.

You might want to call the county sheriff with the serial number if you have it and ask about getting it put in the database.  It might be sitting in an evidence room (if someone did the right thing) just waiting for a computer hit.

Good luck and hope you get it back.  I still have hopes of getting back a stolen .410 that all my kids shot their first duck with.

TTT
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,586 Captain
    Sorry you haven't had any luck.
    Did you look up one the local FWC? Maybe they heard something.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    Thanks man.  I haven't but probably should.  I know the FWC biologist for the area fairly well.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,258 Captain
    Any shotgun given to a young person should be nick- named “ Lost Youth”.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink