Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Cedar Key to close to non residents

m9000m9000 Senior MemberPosts: 2,188 Captain
from FB The date and start time are not clear, but I suspect it will be very soon.  

- City council Meeting update: The City Commission has passed an emergency declaration which will be published tomorrow (3/24). Effectively, it limits access to the island to 1) residents 2) long term stays already in place and 3) any essential business. NO day trips, NO new reservations taken for any time going forward until further notice, and NO non-essential business. A list of allowed essential businesses will be forthcoming. This is an attempt to keep our island and its residents safe. The Commission wants to protect locals and businesses alike and understands the stress this will cause

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski Senior Member GrovelandPosts: 16,680 AG
    All the boat ramps in Lake County  closed so i can't cruise the lakes on the weekends...I get all the restrictions, but everyone is still going to the grocery store, and that's where it's going to be spread. 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Moon ShadowMoon Shadow Senior Member Posts: 1,074 Officer
    Don't worry after this is all over they be happy to take your money again.
  • m9000m9000 Senior Member Posts: 2,188 Captain
    I'm not worried. I own property on the island and have a pass that will allow me to enter. I didn't want people to trailer all the way to Cedar key only to find out that they would not be allowed to  go past the first bridge.
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Senior Member OrlandoPosts: 10,466 AG
    All the boat ramps in Lake County  closed so i can't cruise the lakes on the weekends...I get all the restrictions, but everyone is still going to the grocery store, and that's where it's going to be spread. 
    How stupid (the ramp closures).  What is their logic?  Besides just doing it to make it seem like they are doing something?  It's not like there are sandbars full of spring breakers out there like there was in S. FL.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
    How stupid (the ramp closures).  What is their logic?  Besides just doing it to make it seem like they are doing something?  It's not like there are sandbars full of spring breakers out there like there was in S. FL.
    I have no clue.   Just seems like such a knee jerk reaction for lakes to close, there is no sandbar to go to.   
  • ivnivn gvillePosts: 245 Deckhand
    Logically, I can see.   If no virus on island, and you can limit the exposure to folks who are already there, you'd be doing pretty good.  There were small enclaves around the world during the 1918 pandemic that had no sickness or deaths just because they were effectively isolated.  So yeah, it does kinda make sense to me.

That said.... is Shell Mound still open? I realize the first part is the state park which would be closed but at the pier itself isn't that Federal?

• tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,614 Captain

Right?

So one is more likely to get sick while boating or at the ramp than at a grocery store where people put their grubby hands all over everything.

Yes. Got it. Makes perfect sense. Overreach on display in full force.

I was thinking, if you were in jail or prison you'd at least know if and when you'd get out.

This crap can be continued indefinitely on the whims of Those Who Know What's Best For Us.

tankered said:

Right?

So one is more likely to get sick while boating or at the ramp than at a grocery store where people put their grubby hands all over everything.

Yes. Got it. Makes perfect sense. Overreach on display in full force.

I was thinking, if you were in jail or prison you'd at least know if and when you'd get out.

This crap can be continued indefinitely on the whims of Those Who Know What's Best For Us.

That's the thing, you get a town like mine, that has one grocery store, and every person living in that town goes there.  So if one person is infected it's definitely going to spread.    I still have no idea why closing a boat ramp does anything.  Now in a place where people gather at the sand bar, ok that makes sense.  
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Senior Member Posts: 3,915 Captain
    What do most guys do before going fishing, swing by the supermarket for food , ice , drinks. Then hit the gas station to top the tank off. Then hit the bait store. If this particular fisherman was a non symptomatic carrier he just got within 6 feet of a lot of people. This sucks but if we suck it up now we might be able to slow it down enough that it doesn’t paralyze the health care system. 
  • ElapidElapid Junior Member Posts: 145 Deckhand
    I truly see both sides, but every activity you guys state here that involves getting close to others or handling surfaces others have touched is occurring every time you fill up your tank or go to the store and resupply. But for example I usually fish alone and don't buy bait- why limit the activity when I'm having no impact? Govt has taken the easy way out, imo. they could limit boating activities to no more than two persons per boat and do many of us a huge favor, while still allowing us to go out and grab enough fresh fish for a few meals a week. there can be other, smarter, ways to skin this fish (pun intended)...
  • CK1CK1 Junior Member Posts: 36 Deckhand
    m9000 said:
    I'm not worried. I own property on the island and have a pass that will allow me to enter. I didn't want people to trailer all the way to Cedar key only to find out that they would not be allowed to  go past the first bridge.
    You sure about that.  My family has a place on the island.  We were told they wouldn’t let us in the city if we showed up with a boat.  
  • m9000m9000 Senior Member Posts: 2,188 Captain
    CK1 said:
    m9000 said:
    You sure about that.  My family has a place on the island.  We were told they wouldn’t let us in the city if we showed up with a boat.  
    I keep my boats at my house at Cedar Key, but I was told they have closed the city ramps to all noncommercial activity. The announcement from the city indicated that nonresident owners of property on the island would be allowed only one visit to check on their property during the closure and no one knows how long the closure is scheduled to last.   The city is not allowing nonresidents onto the island, but apparently it's okay if residents spend three hours shopping at Walmart in Chiefland and return to the island. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Senior Member Posts: 3,020 Captain
    edited March 2020 #14
    ****, I hope Doug and Wendy make it. Gonna spend $$$ with them. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • nicknick Senior Member Crystal RiverPosts: 5,062 Admiral
    ****, I hope Doug and Wendy make it. Gonna spend $$$ with them. 
    They will! They’re tough and probably the nicest people on the island.