Home Fly Fishing

Top 5 fly reels and rods?

InstaGatorInstaGator Posts: 181 Deckhand
To all of you pros down in the keys what would be your top 5 rated fly reels and rods for tarpon and bonefish?

thanks, Instagator

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,870 Moderator
    Moved to Fly Fishing Forum
  • sunflowersunflower Posts: 548 Officer
    It's hard to buy a bad fly rod or reel in the modern world,
    as long as you don't try to use freshwater reels in salt.
    The very expensive reel brands are great (Abel, Hatch), but the less-expensive ones (Nautilus, Lamson) will get the job done.
    Probably the expensive ones will last longer under extensive use. 
    I doubt that a $1000 Helios or G Loomis rod is 3-times better than a $300 Temple Fork/TFO or Reddington.
    For rods, there is also a relationship between the nature of your casting-stroke and your rod.
    I have G Loomis and TFO rods, but I simply cast better with the cheaper TFO.
    I live in Florida, and fly-fish a lot. I make thousands of casts a year.

I like Hatch reels and TFO rods.
    Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 298 Deckhand
    Sunflower, like you, I thought the TFO rods were just fine. I have 8 of them from 8wt-5wt. Then I cast my friends Sage X . **** , kind of spoiled me. Got a chance to buy one at dealers price less 20% at year end clearance. I fish mid priced Orvis reels, and, for the fish I catch, they get it done. I should qualify that by saying I dont fish adult tarpon only juvies that rarely exceed 20 though the rare 40lber gives me no problem on my Orvis. For adults the quality reels you mentioned are probably the way to go. 
  • ERKERK West Central FloridaPosts: 3 Greenhorn
    I'm no pro, but as far as reels go, I'd say Tibor, Abel, Hatch, Nautilus, and Siegler are at the top of the list. As far as rods go, I would say Gloomis NRX and NRX+, Gloomis Asquith, Gloomis Crosscurrent Pro, Scott Sector or Scott Meridian. These are all a big investment. At a more reasonable price, you can't go wrong with the 3Tand reels and TFO rods (Mangrove and Axioms are great **** slayers).