Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Bilge pump issue

AllNVeinAllNVein JacksonvillePosts: 154 Deckhand
Guys, I’m at my wits end. I have a bulge pump, the pump works fine when tested on a battery. The switch is illuminate at the helm but not as bright as other switches when turned on, the LED is dim. A meter shows 7 volts, but the battery tests at 12.9v.  The pump connection shows 6-7v.   I understand there should be some loss of voltage, but half?

whats my move here?  I want to go out Sunday but not going offshore with no pump.  

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 2,690 Captain
    I'd say you have a bad or loose connection.  Start at the supply to the switch and work downstream, checking everything one step at a time.  Those things can be a bear to trace - often no room to get in there to see or work.

What I've found to be a huge help in that kind of thing is a headlight....uh....light you wear on your head.  :-)  Leaves your hands free while you light up the area.
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 2020 #3
  • sportsman252sportsman252 Julington Creek FlPosts: 13 Deckhand
    Check for the fuse connection. Have had a similar issue and its the breaker. Due to the pump is normally wired to work regardless of the battery switch being on, there is normally a breaker it is wired to. Most likely the connections on the back of it are corroded to hell and back or the breaker is faulty. mine looked like this but others could be different.

CARLING TECHNOLOGIES 1P Thermal Circuit Breaker 15A 250VAC

• AllNVeinAllNVein JacksonvillePosts: 154 Deckhand
    Hey guys thanks for all the advice. The line that bypasses the battery switch was the culprit. Can’t find the short, but I can just run a new line. For now I borrowed power from one of the 12v receptacles. Thanks for the advice. Really helped steer me in the right direction. 
  • Snatch-UmSnatch-Um Posts: 1,428 Officer
    Thanks for playing it safe and not risking it without a working pump..smart move!