Home General Fishing

Funny Incident Today

Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
So I'm in my kayak in Pine Island Sound, fishing my way back to the launch when I pass by a pier. A dog, some sort of bulldog, runs out and starts barking at me. A minute later another identical dog runs out and starts swimming towards me! I'm thinking am I going to have to wack this dog with my stick anchor to fend him off? Anyway the dog finally gives up the chase and 2 women appear on the pier. I'm about 50 yards away at this point but yell at her she needs to control her dog before someone hurts it. She replies with an aristocratic English accent "it's a big ocean you can fish elsewhere". I yell back that she doesn't own the water. 

That was the end of our conversation, but sound carries over water and as I drift away I can hear her telling her dog in that annoying English accent "good boy, you keep those peasants away".

Really bizarre lol. Never a dull moment in Florida! 

Replies

• chronicbreakchronicbreak Posts: 1,011 Officer
    I would suggest we teach her a lesson. How about a rally?
    National Marine Fisheries Service
    DESTROYING FISHERMEN AND THEIR COMMUNITIES SINCE 1976
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 190 Deckhand
    Another arrogant ****! With a little luck she will come down with the viris!   :D
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Posts: 127 Deckhand
    I’m afraid a statement like that would be too inviting for me to fish somewhere else..

• FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 637 Officer
    edited March 26 #5
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 168 Deckhand
    You'd really kill a dog because it's owner is a c**t?
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 995 Officer
    I would encourage the dog to keep coming then when it tired I would drag it back to it's owner. Would be an interesting conversation. Can't fault the dog for it's owner.
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 111 Deckhand
    No such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners and these women seem like a perfect example of that. Can’t help but wonder, how do their dogs get along with the 17 cats they are likely raising?
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 708 Officer
    A quick slip loop tied in my anchor line, then thrown around the dog's neck as it got close ... and I would've let it get close.
    Dogs can swim, but they can't hold up a 10 pound anchor.
    Wow, you really ARE and ****.
    edited March 26 #10
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,489 AG
    tankered said:
    In less than a nanosecond....aggressive dogs should all be killed
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    There is another good reason you can open carry on your way to...during...and returning from a fishing trip....
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 10,243 AG
    Why didn't you tell her to go back from wherever she came from?

Captain Todd Approves

• Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 708 Officer
    duckmanJR said:
    tankered said:
    I guess I just don't see a pet bulldog swimming towards my kayak as a threat.  That IS what we're talking about.  Not talking about a feral out in the woods.  Pervert was also talking about tying an anchor to a dog's neck and letting it drown, not a quick bullet to the head.  And talking about doing it as an alternative to just paddling away from it.  And talking about it as a punishment to the owner for letting her dog go swimming.  I know which side I stand on.
    Well, You say " Pet"....but it isn't *MY* pet or an animal known to me....it is a large animal that is uncontrolled as *required by law * making aggressive moves toward me. 

And that's what makes America great...you do what you think is best...as will I . 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,630 Captain
    edited March 20 #16
    I lead a pretty quiet life these days... and I really like dogs (the only one we have left currently is a big old labrador that's nearing 11 now..).   That dog thinks everyone came to play with him.

That said one of the crews I used to work with had a specific individual who's entry responsibility involved killing the dog if necessary.  We were hard on dogs back then, even though most on the crew had dogs of  their own.  All of the dogs we killed were placed by their bad actor owners deliberately so that we'd have to deal with them before serving a warrant.  The folks we should have popped were the two legged critters... but that was a long long time ago.  By the way - I was never good enough to be on that crew and only got to assist them as needed (and answer for whatever happened afterwards...).

The world is full of arrogant people who have no idea of the consequences that can come from the things they do.  The best any of us can hope for is that we learn exactly who they are early on...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 995 Officer
    That woman sending her dog out to do her bidding was guilty of assault and should have been reported. At the least she could have tried to explain her actions to leo. 
  • cortrcortr Posts: 206 Deckhand
    Bear repellent or personal protection spray might be a way to teach the dog that being aggressive is not OK, rather than killing it, especially if owner is the one responsible for its behavior.
  • finbullyfinbully Posts: 707 Officer
    A quick slip loop tied in my anchor line, then thrown around the dog's neck as it got close ... and I would've let it get close.
    Dogs can swim, but they can't hold up a 10 pound anchor.
    Okay stud. If you have time to do all that, you have time to retreat.
    duckmanJR said:
    tankered said:

Of course I'm not surprised, you're a cop. Cops are inherently scared when it comes to dogs. "Aggressive dogs" to cops are wagging their tails wanting to be petted.

Really, cops are scared in general, as much as **** pigs claim to "fear for their lives" before unloading on a civilian.

• spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,214 Captain
    I gotta say, that's one of the funnier stories I've heard lately.  I wouldn't have been able to let it go tho.  Good for you.  The dogs swimming towards me wouldn't have been a problem for me.  It's the comment from a foreigner.  That would have set me off.
    A dog, ANY dog, swimming to you, in your kayak, presents no threat whatsoever.  No justified reason to suggest killing it for crying out loud.  I had 2 dogs, literally attack charge me in my kayak off a private beach.  I just paddled away from them.  If one were even to get close enough, a good swat or dunking with the paddle would change its mind.
    I get duck likes to stir the pot but with all the comments from perv all over this forum, he's either getting a visit from FWC, Animal Services or the FBI..
    tankered said:
    duckmanJR said:
    tankered said:

Of course I'm not surprised, you're a cop. Cops are inherently scared when it comes to dogs. "Aggressive dogs" to cops are wagging their tails wanting to be petted.

Really, cops are scared in general, as much as **** pigs claim to "fear for their lives" before unloading on a civilian.

Day drinker....all "tanked up "  LOL 

PS...it's ex...been retired over 12 years...but I sure miss killin' those dogs.   LOL 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    spangler said:
    I gotta say, that's one of the funnier stories I've heard lately.  I wouldn't have been able to let it go tho.  Good for you.  The dogs swimming towards me wouldn't have been a problem for me.  It's the comment from a foreigner.  That would have set me off.
    A dog, ANY dog, swimming to you, in your kayak, presents no threat whatsoever.  No justified reason to suggest killing it for crying out loud.  I had 2 dogs, literally attack charge me in my kayak off a private beach.  I just paddled away from them.  If one were even to get close enough, a good swat or dunking with the paddle would change its mind.
    I get duck likes to stir the pot but with all the comments from perv all over this forum, he's either getting a visit from FWC, Animal Services or the FBI..
    Nope....no visits....we have to shelter in place dontcha know  LOL 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    All you dog lovers....know your responsibility as a responsible dog owner... 

Or....  get a cat...they don't do that $h!+    LOL 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    duckmanJR said:
    tankered said:
    duckmanJR said:
    tankered said:

Day drinker....all "tanked up "  LOL 

PS...it's ex...been retired over 12 years...but I sure miss killin' those dogs.   LOL 

I wish.

Once a cop, always a cop. Y'all never lose that us vs them mindset.

• gogittumgogittum SW New MexicoPosts: 151 Deckhand
    duckmanJR said:
    All you dog lovers....know your responsibility as a responsible dog owner... 

Or....  get a cat...they don't do that $h!+    LOL 
    Haha.....responsible dog owners, you bet.  Not many of those around.  If I thought for one blink of a second I could get away with it, there'd be 6 or 8 constantly barking dogs shot around here.....immediately.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,630 Captain
    Tank... I’ve been trying to live down my past career for more than 25 years now.... 

Be careful about what you believe though, since you might be wrong- at least that’s what I try to remember myself.  

At one time I lived and worked in a sewer and dealt with some folks who’d done bad things but met very very few really bad people... Here I’m talking about both cops and robbers -as well all of us that are somewhere in between...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    edited March 26 #28

Except I'm not the one who can legally take life, liberty and property at the point of a gun.

Big difference.

tankered said:

Except I'm not the one who can legally take life, liberty and property at the point of a gun.

Big difference.

You seem up to the task...you should sign up  LOL !!! 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    tankered said:

Once a cop, always a cop. 

They say the same thing about a US Marine..... Once a Marine...always a Marine.    Thank God America has both. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled