Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Trolling for Mahi

Hey guys I'm new to trolling and looking to make my own baits to pull with ballyhoo. What skirts and color combos work as far as squid skirts, sea witches, or islanders? There are so many choices, I'd like to see what  you all are using. Thanks!

Replies

• jmac7469jmac7469 Posts: 156 Deckhand
    I like a 1/4oz sea witch favorite colors are blue and white, baby dolphin, and pink and white. Some days the color doesn't matter 
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 797 Officer
    I seem to do best with naked ballyhoo. I used to troll a mix and they always seemed to hit the naked over the skirted. Now I just pull 4 naked and a mini turbo way back in case black fins are around. I put birds in front of the two furthest back ballyhoos and run them from the t-top. Keeps from getting tangled as the birds will keep the furthest back ones floating over the closer ones. Plus it is easy to see how far back they are. One good thing about the naked ballyhoo is that once you slow down, the uneaten ballyhoo slowly sink. Many times you will get additional fish. Going to put a dtx minnow in the spread this year. Have a fender teaser on the other side. The fender teaser really seams to attract fish and it is under the water and out of the way of your lines. I have it cleated with a line and just pull in first after I slow down.
  • DoradoDreaminDoradoDreamin Posts: 2,041 Captain
    For us, on the top water we often run lures with just a strip of squid behind them (Alien, Lil Stubby, etc.).  On the deep rods we normally pull ballyhoo with just a small King Buster skirt.  Skirt helps to hold the ballyhoo together going through weeds, etc.  Favorite colors are normally blue/white, blue/pink, chartreuse/anything.  They do seem to hit one color over another on any particular day so we normally start out with all colors and as we get hits move toward what they like that day.    
  • FLAZ71FLAZ71 Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Thanks guys! I picked up some Sea Witches in the colors mentioned in this thread. What hook are you rigging these with?
  • AllNVeinAllNVein JacksonvillePosts: 152 Deckhand
    We fish 3 colors. Blue/white, red /black, yellow and green. Our spread is 5 lines, we fish 3 of one color and 2 of another until we see which is producing then switch to that one color. We rig chin weighted ballyhoo.  

Our lines stager starting in the prop wash, and the flatline way way way out (rod on the top rod holder) 

my crew is my family, I love the naked ballyhoo, but they do need replacing more often because they wash out. If the water is real calm and clear, we Fish the naked. 

For a family we do pretty well, especially since I can’t get them to leave the ramp in the dark!

hope this helps

• FLAZ71FLAZ71 Posts: 58 Deckhand
    Huge help everyone. Thanks a bunch!