Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Airboat wreck.

2»

Replies

• SevenweightSevenweight Member Posts: 95 Deckhand
    Blind corner in a airboat you shut down and listen first. If no noise then idle thru. If there are several airboats going the same direction the first signals to oncoming boats how many are following. Airboats have a place on the water and all should work together. Everyone should idle in blind corners. Sad happening. 
    What a tragedy for all concerned. 

I always approach those two blind curves with extreme caution. If I have a passenger I ask them to move to the outside and help to listen and watch for any oncoming boat. I’ve observed numerous boats—many if not most of them charter captains—rip through those curves as if they were the only boat on the water. I’m much more comfortable going out than returning because with a shallow draft boat I can swing way out to the right and get a longer view. Returning, especially with low water, options are narrower, certainly if you want to be to the right of an oncoming boat. 

I slow down a lot when approaching those curves but it never occurred to me that I’d be safer at idle speed. I would think you’d be a sitting duck for a fast-moving boat with a careless pilot. One thing’s for sure: I’ll never run head-on into an airboat at that location since I’d hear them approaching.
  • OFFSHORECHICKENOFFSHORECHICKEN Member CapePosts: 58 Deckhand
    full plane around a blind curve is reckless operation,  violation of navigational rules,  and if a death the captain can be charged with manslaughter.    goes  for the maze,  withlocoochee,  everywhere,   hundreds of googans play rusian roulette in this county every weekend 
    :grin
  • navigator2navigator2 Senior Member Posts: 22,521 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    nick said:
    Art’s a bundle of joy today. 🤣
    caught more fish than you did yesterday also, just me and a friend..
    Nick(g)............. just iook at all those Nick Drums..............
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    nick said:

Those fillets be like....
    You only catch redfish with worms in da hood. Sayin................
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    full plane around a blind curve is reckless operation,  violation of navigational rules,  and if a death the captain can be charged with manslaughter.    goes  for the maze,  withlocoochee,  everywhere,   hundreds of googans play rusian roulette in this county every weekend 
     Did these guys have flags on their boats? I know enough to watch out for them on blind turns, (and have ears) some of them are plain nuts. Oh, and airboaters are not the only idiots out there. I'm not defending them, just stating facts.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]