Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Yankee capt slow pitch jigging wisdom. Jig body shape style, color, weight, rod action tones?

For those of you that have experience slow pitch jigging on the Yankee capt. what jig weight's are you commonly ussing on the trips, and what style body's? Also what rod action tones, and jig colors are common producer's? 

I am not looking for any particular trip, but rather any useful experience under varying conditions.
 Thanks. 

P.s. I already have a bunch of gear and am hoping you may be able to help me bring extras of just what I may need and not buckets full of extra' s. 

It's not my biggest, but rather what I felt was a good picture.  Black belly rose fish from 823 feet off of SE FLORIDA. 

Replies

• benwah22benwah22 Posts: 210 Deckhand
    200-300g should have you covered for most applications on a Pulley Lite or Halfway Ledge trip.  

350-600g should have you covered for most applications on a Pulley Ridge deep drop, see above weights for when you're up on the bank at night.

Silvers/golds/pinks/orange/NLO fish patterns work well.

Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Accurate USA
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
  • demersalangelerdemersalangeler SE FLORIDA Posts: 200 Deckhand
    What about jig shapes? Some body styles I use here are cranky, rector, rector long, or sticks like the one in the picture. (For examples)

(For examples)
     Here we are usaly on the free drift and I use firm-stong action tone rods. Like a 400g max rod with 250 or 300g jigs. That unload the rod quickly  For the Rosie I use soft action tones like 400g max rod with 400g jigs and 850' of line out so it produces a very soft action tone. Unloads the rod very slowly. 

Are there any action tone recommendations?

Also here I like to use what some may call hight pitch-long fall. I load the rod quickly by lifting, and bring the rod tip high, then drop the rod slowly following the jig without reeling. 

Are there any particular actions that seem to be good producer's? I.e. long fall, flutter, sliding, or suspension's?
  • benwah22benwah22 Posts: 210 Deckhand
    Shapes are dependent on conditions.  I've used just about every shape and every shape will produce if it's properly matched to conditions . . . just like the action tone of the rod.  

There is no rector long, so I'm not sure what jig you're referring to.  You'll just need to bring an assortment. Your drift is slowed significantly due to the drift sock the boat uses, so it helps keep jig weights reasonable. All of the styles of jigs you've mentioned work, just need to get dialed into the conditions of the day.

As for rods, fast action is generally not ideal - really for any location - not just on the Yankee Capts. It should be a slow and even unload, so that you don't lose your jig in the water column, or so that the jig does not flip end over end and foul up.  

If you are using a long fall rod, this is the action that you are looking for:

Instagram:  @mrbennyortiz
    Temple Reef Pro Team
    Aftco Pro Team
    Accurate USA
    Slow Pitch Jigger
    Occasional Fish Catcher
    The Rector style long is shaped similar to rector only add about 50% to the length and keep the same weight. The bottom also has a flat spot. 

I would consider the action tone of the rod in the above video firm to stong. 

So what l am getting from this information is to bring my normal set of jigs, and rods power 1-5. 
     Thanks you MR. ORTIZ for tha advice.