Home General Fishing

How to Fillet Hardhead Catfish Quickly Without Skinning

MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 505 Officer
“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 6,356 Admiral
    Yeah, I'm not eating one of those.  Too many other amazing fish in the water.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 11,693 AG
    why?
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 861 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    why?
    It's been a slow news week on Youtube.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 5,808 Admiral
    you can’t make this stuff up folks  :D
    You should have been here yesterday
  • One DropOne Drop Posts: 302 Deckhand
    Wow, I'd rather clean grease traps than filet a hardhead. They're not even allowed in the boat I thought. Bogagrip and Palm Beach release only. 
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 340 Deckhand

Ok. This is a joke, right?

As if "how to fillet a pinfish" wasn't stupid enough...

• Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,965 Captain
    edited March 6 #8
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 7,541 Admiral
    Break their fins off cut them up in bite size pieces and feed them to the heron.
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 505 Officer
    Some days one decides to make lemonade.
    “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    MathGeek said:
    Some days one decides to make lemonade.
    The difference is, we would drink lemonade 
  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
    stc1993 said:
    Break their fins off cut them up in bite size pieces and feed them to the heron.
    And the heron couldn't care less if it's fileted or not. 
    tankered said:

Ok. This is a joke, right?

Nope.  I've eaten plenty of hardhead in my life.  I've probably thrown back more than I've kept, but there are some days when that's what's biting and I'm in a mood to bring some fish home.

There are also some places, like near bait cleaning stations, where it's easy to take some children and have them catch 50-100 hardheads in a couple hours.  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 9,123 Admiral
    stc1993 said:
    This ^^^ or you could use them for Click baits
    Who in the hell wants to unhook 50 - 100 hardheads caught by children???
    what is a bait cleaning station?
    Well, he IS known to fillet pinfish so...
  • MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 348 Deckhand
    Not much of a seafood eater but if I was going to keep a fish for food it wouldn’t be something that feeds on algae and manatee feces. 

But these **** hustlers do have their place. Take ya average size hardhead catfish, grab by the head, and cut into thirds. Then trim off the tail fin. Handle the bait as little as possible to avoid getting human scent on it and removing slime and fish scent. You’ve now got 3 tarpon baits and yes even those bony heads with no meat will work ya just gotta make sure it will sink. Breaking off the spines is not necessary so long as the head is snout hooked. If you prefer to hook it in the back of the head then do break the spines off otherwise they may interfere with the hookup by getting caught up in the fish’s throat (if the hook doesn’t tear away from the bait). Jab it a few times on the underside if having trouble getting the head to the bottom. Normally this is the last part I will use but it does work in a pinch.

If there are a lot of little nuisance sharks in the area like little blacktips and blacknose, these catfish chunks the pests are much less likely to mess with in my experience. I prefer smaller pieces rather than the whole tail like many people use because the smaller bait seems less likely to get picked up by a larger blacktip, bull, nurse, or lemon shark while a large tarpon has no issue with picking up a little scrap. 

I’ve only had success with this in higher salinity waters near the coast. Not so much while fishing in brackish water where they seem to prefer other baits but have heard of people who do have success with them in lower salinity waters. Not my favorite bait but it is durable and will withstand being picked on by crabs, other catfish, and other bait stealers.
  • Jas2Jas2 Posts: 229 Deckhand

) All the old-timers down around Pine Island / Matlacha use em` for Cobia bait ......was kinda` leery about using them but tagged along on several trips .  Catch hardheads before dark ....head to the Matlacha bridge after sunset and we caught a buttload of Cobes !

You want to eat a saltwater cat ...the big Gafftopsail ( sailcats ) are very good and will give you a nice thick filet !

I tried sailcat before.

Once it was OK., and just OK, the second time was horrible. Never again.

Can't imagine being hungry enough to keep a hardhead. Hope that never happens.

tankered said:
    Who in the hell wants to unhook 50 - 100 hardheads caught by children???
    It's a piece of cake with pliers and experience, as long as the children have the good sense not to swing them around and fin people.  But most children I've caught hardheads with figure it out pretty quickly and can unhook them themselves.  Swallowed hooks are harder.  I've learned that cutting and retying a new hook is the way to go.

Hardheads can be the gateway drug of salt water you do it right.  Hardheads -> sailcats -> croaker -> redfish.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Sigh. If you say so.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 673 Officer
      My father used to say his favorite way to eat catfish(Minn.bullheads)
    was to bake them on a cedar board.After they were cooked,you 
    threw away the fish and ate the board!
  • RexyRexy PSLPosts: 7 Deckhand
    Ummmmmm...  no thanks, enjoy though!
    With meat production having dropped so rapidly in the past month due to COVID-19, you never know what skills are going to be handy.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dude? You are seriously doubling down on this silly thread. I will never ever ever eat a hardhead. It would be so bad if you weren’t disguising a crappy sermon for a crappy fishing vid
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,722 Captain
    Shameless bump..
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • LostconchLostconch Posts: 762 Officer
    Hard heads provide my family most by being crab bait. Don't have to be to fussy about how you clean them then
  • Kokosing LoverKokosing Lover Posts: 861 Officer
    Dude? You are seriously doubling down on this silly thread. I will never ever ever eat a hardhead. It would be so bad if you weren’t disguising a crappy sermon for a crappy fishing vid
    It would be better if he disguised a crappie sermon for a crappie fishing vid; I'll eat a pile of crappie.
  • cortrcortr Posts: 289 Deckhand