Home General Fishing

Sheepshead in Oregon Inlet NC

gotsnodooksgotsnodooks New Smyrna Beach FlPosts: 128 Deckhand
edited March 6 in General Fishing #1
The sheepshead at 11:40  I had no idea they got that big.  Anyone seen them like this around the East central?  Are they any good to keep/eat at this size?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sg8lJ29TLrE

Replies

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,590 Captain
    Heck of a nice fish, I don't deny that.  But that guy needs to learn how to use a drag.  I've caught 30-35 inch snook on smaller gear and got them to the boat faster.  
    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

- Walter Payton

• tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 168 Deckhand
    And for craps sake, don't reel when the drag is going out.  
    “When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

- Walter Payton

• Morocco_madnessMorocco_madness Posts: 2,919 Captain
    They taste meh at that size. We have them that size in NE Florida, not sure about the rest of the state.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 677 Officer
    I follow him and watch his videos as he does videos all over the east coast.  Primarily up around Virginia/NC border, but heads south during the winter and hits, SC, Georgia and Florida.  Generally has pretty good info, but regarding the drag, it's all about the show.
  • gotsnodooksgotsnodooks New Smyrna Beach FlPosts: 128 Deckhand
    I follow him and watch his videos as he does videos all over the east coast.  Primarily up around Virginia/NC border, but heads south during the winter and hits, SC, Georgia and Florida.  Generally has pretty good info, but regarding the drag, it's all about the show.
    Yeah I just started watching him.  His vids are pretty good and I think you have something there about his drag being somewhat showmanship...lol.  With me being somewhat new to saltwater fishing I'm just going through as many vids as I can to soak up the info.
  • TrevfishinTrevfishin In my mind I'm in my kayak fishing, unfortunately physically I'm at work :(Posts: 677 Officer
    He and his wife do a good job explaining the gear, bait and techniques. Passes along good information. 
    But I’ve also seen/heard the drag screaming and pull up a 2-3lb red, thinking it was something much bigger. Take it for what’s it worth, but I usually stop watching after that. Drag should be 20% of line strength. 
    edited March 7 #9
    I get the idea of excitement, but ultimately it depends on his audience.  I wouldn't follow him, because the drag is a red flag that screams "I'm a giant newb who doesn't know what I'm doing!"  Perhaps novices don't know any better and enjoy his show.  

- Walter Payton