Home General Fishing

new to fishing

cityguycityguy pasco countyPosts: 8 Deckhand
Hey guys, I am new to Florida, from NYC. I have never lived lower than a 4th floor apartment building. I know i have missed out on alot. 
Posting to ask for any good advice for fishing or hunting. I am located in pasco county but i dont mind driving. 
If anyone has any advice to share or has extra time to teach someone a few tricks, i am a very good student. please and thank you , i will take all advice. 

Replies

• TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 14,180 AG
    My advice is for you to hire a professional guide.  You'll learn more in a day than you will in a year fishing by yourself.

Welcome to Florida.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 587 Officer
      See if there is a fishing club close by.You generally get to
    hear speakers/guides and to fish with members in the club.
  • cityguycityguy pasco countyPosts: 8 Deckhand
    @Tarponator thank you. I will look into it. how would i go about finding a guide? as google search?
    @10kman what would be the best way to find a fishing club?
    edited March 5 #5
    It depends on which part of the saltwater you want to fish -- offshore, inshore...up in Pasco, down in Tampa Bay, etc.

You might take a look at this forum (and old threads) for some ideas:  https://forums.floridasportsman.com/categories/west-central-general-fishing-the-outdoors

The forum you are in now is for all of Florida, the forum above is for the area you (and I) live in.

Facebook also has several local groups focused on saltwater fishing and hunting in the area.

Good luck...Mike
    thank you for your help @Tarponator
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,777 Moderator
    edited March 5 #7
    Here is the most active club in Pasco.  https://fishonclub.us/  Meets the Second Tuesday of each month  (3/10 is the next meeting) at the American Legion, 5329 Legion Pl, New Port Richey,    Meetings start at 7:00 but we gather and tell fish stories at 6:30 :)
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 587 Officer
      You have your answer,they have a very active club in Nwe Por Richey.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,144 AG
    You'll learn a lot and have a good time.
    Find Jack and introduce yourself he's a really good guy.

THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 11,144 AG
    Also you might want to post in the West central section.
    Lots of good people there.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • FlecFlec Posts: 626 Officer
    So Cityguy,,,,I can't help but wonder what made you change your location and decide to try fishing/living in Florida?
    I would agree to hiring a guide for learning purposes if you can afford that. Joining a fishing club is a great idea as well and maybe a lot less expensive too. There are always a few guys that fish about as often as professionals just for there own pleasure that have a wealth of knowledge to share. And by the way, Do this,,,watch as many fishing shows as you can on TV and the web. You can learn A LOT by doing this.  There are several shows each week that fish the same areas as you are interested in.  Look up, Reel Animals, Sportsmans  Adventures,Florida Sportsman Watermen, just to name a few.  Most of those shows air several times a week on Fox Sports/Sun network.  Good luck
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 6,843 Admiral
    I've never hired a bad offshore guide. 
     I've never hired an inshore guide. 
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,777 Moderator
    Citiguy   Hope you can make it tomorrow nite.
  • Go0ganGo0gan StuartPosts: 142 Deckhand
    I dunno about a guide. Yea you will probably learn some stuff but alot of the fun is figuring it all out, planning trips, trying new things. Get The snook book, tarpon book, trout, redfish book I forget who wrote them but they are everywhere. Once u got an idea of what the areas your targeted fish might look like google earth the heck out of places find something that looks like it might work and try it. 

Forewarning fishing is expensive as *************************** once you get into it. 

To get started hunting u just have to sign up for a safety class u can find on fwc website. Then you buy license and WMA pass. The safety class also counts for your training class for concealed carry if you're interested in that as well. Hunting is same as fishing you're only going to be successful if you really put in the time. 

Being from Philly myself, I would never go back to my old lifestyle. Have fun!!
    @Jack Hexter hey I am sorry for the late respond and i am sorry of the fact that i wasn't able to make it. I work for the hospital system and as you know right now we are running on all forces. Thank you for the information and i assure i will be there for the next meet up. 
    @Flec Hey Flec, i grew up on the island of Manhattan and never lived less then 4 floors high. One day i paid 3200 for my monthly rent and notice that i didn't have a yard to throw a ball with my son. and from that month on it took me two weeks to plan my escape I havent done much as of yet because honestly i have found it hard meeting ppl, but i dont regret it and the more i learn and educate myself the more i like it.
    @Googan Thank you, I have been learning and reading as well as youtube has taught me alot. i bought a kayak and set off my self with a few knots i learned, it has been a little rough but the experience has been amazing. yes soo far i am loving, not missing those winters sitting in front a tv watching others have fun. 

Thank you everyone for your great advice and hopefully one day get to go hunting or fishing with some of you.  
    Go0gan said:
     Get The snook book, tarpon book, trout, redfish book I forget who wrote them but they are everywhere. 
    Frank Sargeant wrote them, and I agree, they are excellent.