Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

Question for Capt. Bob Lemay

Capt. Bob,  If anyone knows about this I figured it would be you.  I recently posted this in the South forum.  Do you remember the spaceship looking house that was abandoned that was just north of Pavillion Key?  I remember it back in the early 90's and never knew the story behind it.  It was in disrepair and I heard the park service was going to demolish it and remove it.  Do you know the story behind the home?

Replies

• polliwogpolliwog Posts: 275 Deckhand
    I am sure Bob knows the answer ,but you might want to go to the Naples news web site and  search Dome house near Cape Romano.  There is a story of who built them.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,630 Captain
    Like you... I’ve heard one story or the other about that structure over the years... but nothing I’ve confirmed since I don’t venture any farther west than close in flats and rivers just west of Fakahatchee.... 

That structure is farther west than I’ve ever fished (with the exception of Tigertail Beach that we used to fish in foot...).

I’m pretty sure the info you’re looking for is easily found on Marco Island- particularly among older fishing club or other older anglers with long time history at Marco...

If you ever do find out please post it up...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • polliwogpolliwog Posts: 275 Deckhand
    Thanks kcque that's the story and quite a story it is.  Amazing it has survived this long being exposed the way it is.
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 255 Deckhand
    kcque, the dome homes are a really interesting story.  The spaceship house I am asking about was south of the dome homes on an island just north or Pavilion Key.  It was a single structure, not on stilts, and was painted pink.  It had round windows all the way around it.  It was in disrepair and abandoned when I saw it back in the early 90's.  I heard the national park service was going to demolish it, and looking on Google maps it appears they did so.  I thought about it the other day and thought I would post on here to see if anyone knows the story behind it...
  • BobberreduxBobberredux Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    6G, I ran that coast a lot from Morans Barge Marina in Goodland  down to the Rabbit Key Grasses in the late 80's thru the mid 90's .
    I have no idea what you are remembering, the only man made structures I ever saw on that coast is the private cabin,on stilts, on LuLu Key- it was never pink and has very small rectangular windows. But, if you saw,from the east, the then well inland dome houses at sundown you might have thought it was a pink single structure because I sure thought they were pink when I first fished the Romano flats.