Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Charter Recommendations out of Jacksonville area

Looking to book a trip for my dad and 3 brothers in June or July (date pending college student schedules)
what is the most fun game in town June/July where we can get some action?  a giant tarpon would be fun but probably not realistic to get 5 hookups on tarpon in a day (or is it?) there are 5 people total, all adults so a skinny water inshore charter is probably out. 

I will have a sportsman 227 by this time so the inshore game is not the main target, we want to go and catch fish and have a great time.  we haven't gotten everyone together in a few years and I missed the last big offshore trip they took out of south carolina 6 years ago when the all slaughtered mahi mahi

post your recommended target species and charter is you have one

thanks

Replies

• LastcallchartersLastcallcharters Jax/St. AugustinePosts: 25 Deckhand
    In June/July the kingfishing is usually red hot. Live bait fishing the reefs for kingfish you have a good chance at catching a mahi, cobia and maybe even a sailfish. In June there may be a few mahi at the ledge and beyond but usually by July it's over.
    Thanks,
    Tyler
    Call me to book your trip: 904-509-9452
    http://lastcallfishingcharters.com/
    Like us on Facebook: Last Call Fishing Charters
  • elpollolocoelpolloloco JACKSONVILLEPosts: 310 Deckhand
    Load up on pogies and anchor at the top of the jetties. You will hook tarpon, sharks, Jack's and reds. 
  • NeedsABoatNeedsABoat Posts: 18 Deckhand
    Load up on pogies and anchor at the top of the jetties. You will hook tarpon, sharks, Jack's and reds. 
    pogies as in menhaden/bunker?  Where are decent spots to cast net them?  is it normally a spot and stalk in the river or are certain areas more consistent?  

what size of cast net do you find helpful in the jacksonville area?

• hmmngwyhmmngwy Posts: 156 Deckhand
    Try Chris Shultz at FishJaxCharters. 

Great guy. Great Captain. 
  • PangamanPangaman Posts: 911 Officer
    If you run around the south jetties and head into the beach. There is a line of poles that separate the navy base on the beach. Start there and run down the beach until you see them flip or pelicans diving on them. Or just look for the other 50 boats doing the same thing. Just ask any bait shop or store for a 10' pogy net.
  • elpollolocoelpolloloco JACKSONVILLEPosts: 310 Deckhand
    I throw an 8 ft net. As was mentioned, head out the inlet and make a right. We call that area the jam. Generally there are pogies around there. If you find them, it only takes one throw and you can load up the livewell. Then head back and anchor off the rocks.