Home Ten Thousand Islands General Fishing & The Outdoors

10K action

Fished the inside, out of Choko, a great day for us. 7 reds, only one sub legal size, a number of sheeps 15-16", an 18" black drum, 30+ snooklets. Best areas deep holes at late outgoing tide. All on jigs with a bit of shrimp. Water temp 70 by afternoon.

Anybody else out there fishing? Not seeing much for reports.....

Replies

• Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
    I'll be down there in a few long weeks...
  • thecawthecaw Posts: 8 Deckhand
    I will head down next weekend with start of snook season and hopefully warmer water 
  • thecawthecaw Posts: 8 Deckhand
    Warmer weather*^
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 587 Officer
      One key to catching the reds,trout and snook is fish the water thats
    moving where other boats don't fish.So look for waters moving 
    between island,a long bank or a mangrove point.
  • Drifting_ByDrifting_By ChicagoPosts: 134 Deckhand
    edited March 2 #6
    10kman said:
    Believe me I have been studying Google earth for just those spots accessible only by kayak. I've identified several ponds close enough to the Everglades City launch for me to paddle to that have narrow inlets and outlets that should have good tidal flows. I'm hoping to find big snook at the mouth of those inlets. 

But you can never tell what it's really like until you get there. Last year I thought I'd find moving water at the Hell's Gate area near Goodland... and boy did I ever! Water was too deep for my stick anchor and I didn't bring the other one. The water was moving so fast I couldn't even get one good cast before I was swept away into the mangroves. I do want to try again this year with the correct anchor because it looked very fishy I just couldn't fish it lol.
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,208 Officer
    Thanks for the report!! I have fished 1 time this year. Hopefully i will get out soon!
    Jason :USA
  • backyardhockeybackyardhockey Posts: 145 Deckhand
    10kman said:
    Believe me I have been studying Google earth for just those spots accessible only by kayak. I've identified several ponds close enough to the Everglades City launch for me to paddle to that have narrow inlets and outlets that should have good tidal flows. I'm hoping to find big snook at the mouth of those inlets. 

But you can never tell what it's really like until you get there. Last year I thought I'd find moving water at the Hell's Gate area near Goodland... and boy did I ever! Water was too deep for my stick anchor and I didn't bring the other one. The water was moving so fast I couldn't even get one good cast before I was swept away into the mangroves. I do want to try again this year with the correct anchor because it looked very fishy I just couldn't fish it lol.
    No hobie no hells gate on a yak
  • JW_YakAnglerJW_YakAngler NaplesPosts: 202 Deckhand
    I used to fish hells gate with a paddle yak all the time. If you ride in on the incoming and out on the outgoing I call it the lazy river. I like to drift backwards so I can cast back up into the current and retrieve with the flow. I upgraded to a PDL drive this year, so current is not an issue. I can pedal against current no problem, even in the passes of the 10k.
    My YouTube channel: JakeW YakAngler
  • bmtfishingbmtfishing Marco Island/Goodland/10k IslandPosts: 1 Greenhorn
    Went out the other day around turtle key and threw artificial during the middle of the incoming tide into the mangroves, did well got some snook and a few short reds.  I am new to the area and still exploring in the boat. But I have not been able to find bait.  Don't know if its from the winds, water temperature or location but trying to find live bait. Any help?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 3,630 Captain
    That time of year...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666