Good Morning.

Ryan Newman, who I believe deserves the Daytona NASCAR Win,
has chosen to continue to race.
Head injuries are serious occurrences.
i wish him the best.
I wouldn’t continue after this.

Replies

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 1,038 Officer
    Morning. I agree skyway. The two precious daughters would be enough to make me become a spotter for another driver...
  • skywayskyway St. Pete FLPosts: 143 Deckhand
    edited February 24 #3
    64* / 74* and sunshine.
    Just cos....
    Yes, Swampdog 
    Family is more importanter.
  • trout069trout069 Posts: 5,078 Admiral
    Good morning 
  • skywayskyway St. Pete FLPosts: 143 Deckhand
    Every time I see a replay I believe...
    if I had won that race, I would give it to Newman.
    I did spend a week in coma, with a head injury in1988 at Stone Mountain.
    Recovery took 2 years and I still don’t have a good sense of distance and speed perception.
    i am extra cautious of entering everyday traffic situations and I am super aware of vehicles all around me.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,790 Moderator
    Good morning. 

With respect to Newman, I understand Skyway's concern but he wouldn't be allowed to race if he had not gone through a rigorous medical check-up and concussion protocols. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• LiveLineLiveLine Wakulla County, FloridaPosts: 1,915 Captain
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 14,455 AG
    mornin
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 12,637 AG
    Good morning.  
    You don't need fun to have alcohol
    skyway said:
    Good Morning.

Ryan Newman, who I believe deserves the Daytona NASCAR Win,
    has chosen to continue to race.
    Head injuries are serious occurrences.
    i wish him the best.
    I wouldn’t continue after this.
    "WHAT PROCESS DOES THE TEAM AND RYAN HAVE TO GO THROUGH FOR HIM TO GAIN CLEARANCE?  “The first thing I would say is that I’m thankful that we’re actually even able to have this dialogue about that question because that was not something any of us were certain about when this happened, so it’s a great conversation to be having.  The reality is there are three groups that are going to dictate when he returns because he has expressed unequivocally that this is where he wants to be and he wants to be back in a race car.  Those three groups are gonna be Ryan and his family, his doctors, and then NASCAR and their medical team.  Our assumption is once all three of those sign off, then we’ll see him back in a race car.”

https://www.jayski.com/2020/02/23/ryan-newman-releases-statement/

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,077 Captain
    Good morning.

coffee ... drizzle ... coffee ... drizzle ...

"Medical professionals" be darned, Ryan Newman shouldn't drive.

"Concussion protocol" be darned, he just shouldn't drive.

It will take weeks to evaluate the extent of the impairment.

In the meantime, Mr. Newman should stay home with the kids.
    It appears that is what Mr. Newman is doing. Very few, if any, professional sports organizations have more knowledge in dealing with concussions than NASCAR. They are more cautious about their protocols than any other organization I know of. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 3,077 Captain
    edited February 24 #14
    The NFL might know as much as NASCAR, but they won't admit it, or for how long.

In today's news, Newman was quoted as saying that he'd suffered a "head injury".

That pretty much seals it for the foreseeable future.

He'll be comparing notes with Junior.

The NFL might know as much as NASCAR, but they won't admit it, or for how long.

In today's news, Newman was quoted as saying that he'd suffered a "head injury".

That pretty much seals it for the foreseeable future.

He'll be comparing notes with Junior.

That first sentence is likely true. NASCAR can afford to be open about the concussion deal because drivers aren't employees, hence less liability. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)