Home General Hunting

Successful day at local WMA...

bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
...detrashin trash hunters trash.

Scout did hold a point for over 5 minutes before we got there and busted the covey. Pretty proud the little "pocket GSP" pup is doing so well! Three rabbit runs as well and one missed rabbit. 

Replies

• L8RBRAL8RBRA St. LouisPosts: 606 Officer
    **** fucktards. Very good of you Sir.
  • needtohuntmoreneedtohuntmore MelbournePosts: 263 Deckhand
    Good day there!  Was out last weekend and got on a covey with my 6 month old GSP.  Good times!

Too bad people don't clean up after themselves.  I mean, don't get me wrong, I like beer as much as the next guy but at least clean up after yourselves. 
  • josh_scott84josh_scott84 ClearwaterPosts: 528 Officer
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Nice work Bicyclist!  I like to do the same thing on the dirt roads near my camp.  Good looking dogs!
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,996 Captain
    Me and the boys waded out to my back tree line on youth day.
    Neighbors nephew (and friends) has been duck hunting back there for the last couple years.
    When the water drops enough for me to get around better, I have a couple hundred shotgun casings to pick up.
    P I S S E D is an understatement.

Glad you had some luck!
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • Sixth GenerationSixth Generation Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Too funny 4ward.  I bought my place around 5 years ago.  I pick up shotgun shells, beer bottles, and just about anything trash that is man made.  The findings have slowed down, since it is only 13 acres of hardwoods and swamp.  Last year I missed a gobbler and when I walked to where he was standing I picked up an antique flask sized bottle and it had one perfect #5 hole in one side...  Cant believe it didn't break.  I love to shoot woddies and have two ponds they flock into, but just havent shot them there since I am enjoying them so much.  One of these days I am going to put up some boxes for them to nest in.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 20,736 AG
     I love to shoot woddies and have two ponds they flock into, but just havent shot them there since I am enjoying them so much.  One of these days I am going to put up some boxes for them to nest in.
    Why don't you offer to pay for the materials to a local boy scout...He could use it for an Eagle scout project...
    It was done down here.  It is too late for this year but if you get them built and let them "season" outside...the end of season next year you will be all set. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 1,996 Captain
    I’ll rephrase the “luck” thing.
    Looks like skill and good training are taking over. I’m impressed and love those working dogs. 
    We raise couch turds but we love them😁
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,654 Captain
    4WARD said:
    I’ll rephrase the “luck” thing.
    Looks like skill and good training are taking over. I’m impressed and love those working dogs. 
    We raise couch turds but we love them😁
    I'll go with instincts. And luck with dogs with good instincts!
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,180 Officer
    Really good! Nobody could complain about hunters cleaning up outdoors.
    edited February 25 #14
    About five years ago I spent days cleaning up every piece of trash I could find.  My theory when it's trashy, people just add to it without thought and if its clean people may think twice. Lots less trash this time around,  but I'm not done yet. There is a big ole waterlogged mattress that I'm gonna get a buddy to help with.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 40 Deckhand
    bicyclist said:
    About five years ago I spent days cleaning up every piece of trash I could find.  My theory is if its trashy people just just add to it without thought and if its clean people may think twice. Lots less trash this time around,  but I'm not done yet. There is a big ole waterlogged mattress that I'm gonna get a buddy to help with.
    I have followed several of your threads and it appears that you do some of your hunting in Grove Park WMA. If you spent days in Grove Park picking up trash you would need a semi-trailer to haul it away, but kudos to you for trying.
    It would be nice if they would close down some of the access roads to the general public maybe it would cut down on the trash and the jack-azzes from tearing up the roads. I'm not trying to stir up the anti-restrictionist, these roads are not public, they are owned by the timber company.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 3,756 Captain
    edited February 23 #16
    My Studies Have Revealed 😎👏⚓️....
    Typically beverage and related trash discard items reflect certain brand and type:
    Budweiser, Soda,various chips and candy bars.
    No Fat Tire or local brewery, the beer name starting with Letter H decidedly apparently Communist and non existent discard,no $3.98 per package snack commonly purchased from a Health Food Store, few water bottles,it’s all Junk or bordering on Junk, same as the consumers that Toss.
    Up Osceola National Forest way, where the Florida Trail intersects with some thankfully minority yet evident Trash Pitchers, the public relations issue is not so much the dreaded hunt activity but rather, the trash strewn about for the Hikers to see.A six pack can collection carefully piled and left behind on a quarter million acre parcel can speak Big Boy volumes. Not even a viable “ Plink” target.
    Of course, a viable reason to Toss is to make sure no Empties are in the vehicle in the event of Law Enforcement event.
    It’s weird to share the woods with some folks.
    Imagine the Tons of such Public Lands Trash, and the stuff They toss.
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 451 Deckhand
    At the WMA by me, I see more trash along the roads during small game when the non-hunting users are more prevalent. They enjoy tearing up the roads and doing a little illegal off roading too.

Sure wish they would close the gates overnight when most of the riff-raff likes to play.
    At the WMA by me, I see more trash along the roads during small game when the non-hunting users are more prevalent. They enjoy tearing up the roads and doing a little illegal off roading too.

Sure wish they would close the gates overnight when most of the riff-raff likes to play.
    I see more trash at Dog Hunt area.
    FloridaOD said:
    My Studies Have Revealed 😎👏⚓️....
    Typically beverage and related trash discard items reflect certain brand and type:
    Budweiser, Soda,various chips and candy bars.
    No Fat Tire or local brewery, the beer name starting with Letter H decidedly apparently Communist and non existent discard,no $3.98 per package snack commonly purchased from a Health Food Store, few water bottles,it’s all Junk or bordering on Junk, same as the consumers that Toss.
    Up Osceola National Forest way, where the Florida Trail intersects with some thankfully minority yet evident Trash Pitchers, the public relations issue is not so much the dreaded hunt activity but rather, the trash strewn about for the Hikers to see.A six pack can collection carefully piled and left behind on a quarter million acre parcel can speak Big Boy volumes. Not even a viable “ Plink” target.
    Of course, a viable reason to Toss is to make sure no Empties are in the vehicle in the event of Law Enforcement event.
    It’s weird to share the woods with some folks.
    Imagine the Tons of such Public Lands Trash, and the stuff They toss.

• joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 451 Deckhand
    You may.  Not where I frequent though. 

The problem children there are urbanites looking for a mud hole to spin around in while riding and drinking. They don’t even carry a gun with them, never mind hunt.
    In order of abundance: busc cans by an order of magnitude, other beer cans, a few beanie weenies, off mosquito repellent and doe estrus bottles. 
  • gritsnhuntin1gritsnhuntin1 Posts: 1,180 Officer
    I see trash from all kinds of users. Seems like we see the most from the party and mudding types. They build little fires right in the roads and leave their trash right where they park. Kinda sucks picking it up. We came in to a wma to hunt one morning and see some kid waving frantically at us as we pulled up. They were stuck about 20 yards off the road. They had been stuck for a while, all 4 wheels were spinning lol. We just kept going by. Told em to try calling fwc they would come tow them out. 
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 40 Deckhand
    The "other" trash that is left in the woods is flagging tape, can't blame that on nobody but ourselves. I can't believe a grown man has to put flagging tape around a clear-cut or thru planted pine stand in order to find their stand. I forgot, you also have to put the season and how many hunters to mark your "spot" on "public" land.
  • spanglerspangler daBurgPosts: 2,709 Captain
    I probably pick up ten or twenty mylar balloons every year. 
    Sometimes I wonder if I should save them.  Take a few pics of them in the woods.  A pic of the pile I've collected.  Maybe of pic of one in a turtle's mouth.  Post it all on facebook. 
    So then I wonder, would it go viral?  Would they ban birthday balloons?
    There will never be a really free and enlightened state until the state comes to recognize the individual as a higher and independent power, from which all its own power and authority are derived.
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 515 Officer
    styrofoam and plastic live worm containers are my number 2 on the list of garbage i pick up just about everytime im out            number one is flagging tape which ive already started a pretty big collection the last 3 weeks     seems the pink color is hot this year in big cypress but orange still number one on several other wmas. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,103 Captain
    edited February 25 #26
    Good on you, Pete. I’m sure you’ve seen all the trash on the schoolhouse cut road in grove park. I notice that someone cleans the swamp section of that road up occasionally. There’s a mattress out there too, same one? Idiots use that road as their dump when the dump is closed. 

You should get get some of duckmanjr’s boyscouts to help out. 😂
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.