Home Off Topic

Save our homes benefit

2»

Replies

• PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 279 Deckhand
    Hey... My dad was one of the largest pig farmers in this country at one time. 😀

I don’t disagree with what has been stated here. I am simply pointing out a situation that was unexpected and not disclosed to many. Many old timers feel taken advantage. I am referring to old time Florida born people, not newcomers. 

Different story/perspective. A place in Illinois I know of had old oil production from the 1930s. There were no homes/neighborhoods there. It was an oil field. Over time, a town grew and there were oil wells in town, in an area where there was a park also. Over time people in the neighborhood, who came long after the oil wells, started to complain about the smell of oil. Oil wells and tanks typically have an odor associated with them, nothing unusual. The neighborhood folks lawyered up and litigated the town. They were granted some relief from the municipality and some wells (producing) were plugged and abandoned. The oil wells were there first and long before. Sometimes who came first is not a foundation for argument. 

What I see is people are frustrated because they do not believe their concerns are being addressed by the local politicians. The politicians simply want the tax roll. This is all funny on someone else as long as it’s not in your neighborhood. 

The comment about folks selling their properties and moving is an option. The sticky part that could come into play is how property values are effected.

The other reality is some people who live in the area could themselves be owners of a prop plane or jet. 
  • Gary SGary S Posts: 1,940 Captain
    I took my first airplane ride in the early 60s. We flew out of Tamiami airport. A couple years later the airport was moved south because it was on the edge of the final approach to Miami International. The site is where Fla. International University is now. The new location had nothing around it for miles except tomato farms and a few farm houses. It was a small airfield with a flight school wasn't supposed to be too big. Now in 2020 it is Kendale Executive. Longer runway with warehouses and homes built right up to the fences on 3 sides with the 4 side coming.
     Its called progress, not that I like it but it means you economy is working. You have to be smart enough to know when to get out of the way of it.

• Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,063 AG
    PROFINITY said:

The comment about folks selling their properties and moving is an option. The sticky part that could come into play is how property values are effected.

The property value was already adjusted for the airport when they bought it.

The only thing that a property owner can have a claim for is if the airport that they move next to is a sleepy little GA airport and the county comes in and expands it to accommodate bizjet traffic and it actually lowers the property value. The County should be liable for the reduced property value
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Posts: 20,063 AG
    edited February 24 #35