Save our homes benefit

mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 9,595 Admiral
Wow I sure wish someone would have told us about this or our mortgage company estimated our property taxes last year taking this into account.

Our property tax liability went up close to 70% as we are also paying our escrow short for last year's taxes.

Captain Todd Approves

Replies

• dave44dave44 Posts: 9,632 Admiral
    Oh, that’s very nice. Isn’t it weird how people in charge have to make it hard to understand how much they want you to pay?
         I bet it could be, like 1 sentence.
    ” You have it, we want a cut of it!”
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 28,915 AG
    edited February 14 #3
    I moved in December of  2018 and sold the house in March 2019. Alachua county refused to give me my exemptions for 2019 because I changed the mailing address of the GRU bill before January 1, 2019. 

Screwed the new owners badly since they got no exemptions for 2019 and will get reassessed this year. 

Mini Mart Magnate

This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly. 

• restlessnativerestlessnative Posts: 2,171 Captain
    mplspug said:
    Wow I sure wish someone would have told us about this or our mortgage company estimated our property taxes last year taking this into account.

Our property tax liability went up close to 70% as we are also paying our escrow short for last year's taxes.

No offense, but you sound like the people that got adjustable rate mortgages and were then surprised when the rate went up as well as their bill. 
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 9,595 Admiral
    I expect tax rates to go up every year, just not by 70%.  So the surprise is not that property taxes went up, but that they went up so much.  I just wish it was brought up when we were buying so it wasn't a surprise.

The good news for me is I now get the benefit.  

Captain Todd Approves

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 5,223 Moderator
    Did you have an agent or did you use the listing agent. If you had one they certainly should have gone over this with you prior to or during closing.
    The listing agent doesn't represent you. They represent the seller.

." why would someone want to be a moderator in the first place?"

"There is no compensation for that task other than the satisfaction one might get from being an ***."

mindyabizness

"What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 9,595 Admiral
    We had several agents because our original agent left the agency before we found a home..  

Captain Todd Approves

• PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 271 Deckhand
    It is disgusting from a financial point of view how much waste and unnecessary hiring/job positions, nepotism, Absolutely abuse of the taxpayers. Municipalities will spend money on what many would consider to be BS to justify maintaining and expanding the tax roll, like buying a boat, otherwise a luxury boat, to patrol the sand bars (Hooter Patrol). This is a significant problem on local, state and federal abuse of the taxpayers. Many people’s heads will unscrew, however, I believe a lot of things should be removed from the tax roll and privatized, like the school system. 
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Posts: 9,693 Admiral
    I agree mostly, but the school system is one that should be covered by the people as a whole (i.e., the state).
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • PROFINITYPROFINITY Posts: 271 Deckhand
    Something to think about regarding the school system.... You pay your share to send your kid(s) to school for your entire property/home owning life. If you look at what you have paid over the years for the school system it is considerable money. Think about paying tuition (privatized school system not on the tax roll) only for the actual time your kid(s) attended school. There should be government oversight, however, the competency of that has been questionable for many years. New math? No cursive writing? Now I understand from the news that cursive writing will be taught again and they are teaching “old” math again. I believe if schools were operated as a business, there is no protection (tenure) for bad teachers. Performance based reward is more logical and an efficient use of funds. The better teachers would receive reward, those not so good would be eliminated if they didn’t perform to standards. Some folks don’t have children and they are paying for those that do. Feels like Obamacare to me. The Affordable Healthcare Act was/is NOT affordable. These are some things to think about. 
  • King_MeKing_Me Delray Beach, FLPosts: 5,827 Admiral
    Yes, funny how real estate agencies advertise the low taxes on a house for sale not taking into account that the previous owners might have had the property for years and capping the taxes with the SOH program.