Tuna Advice Needed

I've had my fair share of blackfin luck when freelining at my bottom spots 90-120', but recently I've run into those huge bonito schools while running out. I noticed during the last frenzy I was throwing at, that quite a bit of BFT were mixed in. I went 7/7 on bonito and didn't hook a tuna once. Decided I had enough of a workout on 3000 reels and a medium rod, and continued onto my bottom spots. Is it just the luck of the draw when throwing at those frenzy's? Should I change from a weighted spoon to a popper or shallow water diver?

Any advice is appreciated.

Tight Lines,
SS

Replies

• hook_emhook_em Posts: 93 Greenhorn
    How can you tell if tuna are mixed in?  I've seen these schools and I wouldn't have a clue as to what to look for.

• sas0061sas0061 Posts: 87 Greenhorn
    hook_em said:
    How can you tell if tuna are mixed in?  I've seen these schools and I wouldn't have a clue as to what to look for.

If you get close enough, you will literally see them jumping out of the water. Pretty easily distinguishable when in air.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Posts: 2,195 Captain
    You can also clearly see the black back if water is clear enough.  We have had this happen when they come up in our chum slick and we would toss to specific fish and we got 3 tuna out of the pack but they are all so darn aggressive and FAST it is hit and miss.
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,413 Officer
    Slow troll small live baits at first light over big structure in 100 feet plus at then end of march through may. 4/0 hooks and 40# flouro leaders. Pray the boneheads are not there........... 
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 3,881 Captain
    Been fishing the Florida Fisherman l & ll for over 40 years. We see a lot of Blackfins:

Mr. Larry Miller comes from Canada to catch our Tuna:

Tim comes from Indiana:

Here is one we seldom see in Central Florida waters:
     "they are all so darn aggressive and FAST"
    And so much fun to catch, but that's not all...

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 5,427 Admiral
    When they are mixed (which they often are) and you are trolling artificials it is tough to only get Blackfins. You have to play the odds. If you are live baiting or chunking and you have a frenzy near the boat from chumming chunks or livies,   if you are quick enough you can see the fish coming at your bait and try to lift it away from a bonito but you have to be really fast. Doesn't always work but sometimes it does.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• harbisonharbison Posts: 3,881 Captain
    Great to know. Thanks!
  • MulletFordMulletFord TampaPosts: 54 Greenhorn
    Throw live bait. While it is still a little luck of the draw, they will hit live bait more. 
    24' Pursuit CC
    "Aint no point getting out of bed if you aint living the dream" - Sturgill Simpson