Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Suggestions for 2/9-2/10 Yankeetown vs Crystal River for trout

Grey BeardGrey Beard MemberMcFarland WIPosts: 112 Deckhand
I fish Pine Island sound and 10K area, a snowbird without a lot of experience and none in Big Bend. Hope to fish Yankeetown or Crystal River looking for trout and bonus red primarily use artificials including gulp. Suggestions for location appreciated ie up the rivers or off the mouths. I see we have the full moon and nice incoming tides. Really just want to get our poles bent and willing to use shrimp but not interested in sheephead because I can't figure out how to hook them except for the occasional dumb one. Will be on my friends 22' with Riptide spotlock.

PM if you prefer.
Thanks,

Grey Beard

Replies

• Grey BeardGrey Beard Member McFarland WIPosts: 112 Deckhand
    My post has been up <20 hours and 351 views and discouraged that I've not had one reply nor PM. Must be different down here re sharing helpful info. Not so for me up north on Lake MI. Here is a link to one of my posts to see that I share......a lot.

http://www.glanglerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?27585-Milwaukee-10-28

Grey Beard
  • mburke001 aka TripleBmburke001 aka TripleB Senior Member Citrus CtyPosts: 1,598 Captain
    Look for grass flats in around 7’-10’ in CR
  • Quad32xQuad32x Member Posts: 485 Deckhand
    iN yANKEE tOWN YOU CAN RUN nORTH AFTER MARKER 33 BUT STAY OUT AWAYS AND LOOK FOR GRASS AREAS. pOPPIN CORK AND A SHRIMP ABOUT 3 FEET UNDER IT !
  • Ruff OneRuff One Senior Member HomosassaPosts: 2,280 Captain
    Come to the Sunday bash, there will be about 20 or more hard core fisherman and I bet they will share major info. Especially after a few beers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ElapidElapid Junior Member Posts: 145 Deckhand
    off the beach, between the bars in CR. they'll be there starting to warm up after this next cold snap. drift until the you find one, then power pole down and keep catchin' em ;)

• capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,881 Moderator
    Hope you have good weather. Looking iffy.
    "You'll get your weather"
    Saturday's forecast looks a bit chilly to start but winds are decent. Sun-Tu looks good for both temp and wind plus steep tides. Just plan to fish when not too low as don't know the area, so go slow and head home just after slack high tide.

Thanks much to all who responded. I plan to give a report good or bad after our outing(s).

Grey Beard
  • LTownSteveLTownSteve Junior Member Lakeland/YankeetownPosts: 32 Deckhand
  • Jim311Jim311 Senior Member Gainesville, FLPosts: 4,961 Captain
    I say avoid grass flats and fish the mouths of the deeper creeks. Bounce jigs slow and close to the bottom. The rockier the bottom the better. 
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Senior Member Posts: 984 Officer
    Stop in and talk to the folks at Captains cove tackle shop there  in Inglis. They should give you some advice. What luck I have with trout this time of year up that way is normally in the deeper creeks 1/8 oz jig and shrimp. With limited knowledge of the area exploring creeks is kinda sketchy though. 
    Not much for a report. Sat launched at Fort Island and noted boats anchored from there all along the river out to the open water. Figured they must know what they are doing so tried a number of spots along the way Tried gulp shrimp on hair jig, alone, paddletails, slow retrieve Mirrodyne mr17 and only could get lady fish. Didn't see anyone else doing much either. Water got up to 68. Once out to open water headed north out of the marked channel and was close to high tide and the bay sized boat found oysters so my friend said not going further. Nice day and assume other days this time of yr must be more productive considering all the boats anchored or slowly working that area.

Something came up and weekend of fishing cut short. Thanks to all who responded. Had planned to try to make the get together but didn't work out.

Grey Beard
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,881 Moderator
    Come back and it will be better.
    "You'll get your weather"