Home East Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

How Many Of You Never Service Your Reels?

I bet, like me, most guys never take their reels anywhere for service. My experience with mostly Shimano and some Penns over the past 45 years has been that other than maybe a little drop of oil every now and then, that they just keep on working. I don't buy the most expensive stuff so after 3-4 years of weekly use I am ready for new gear. Now mind you, my TLD's are close to 30 years old and still work fine, although I don't use them much anymore.

Replies

• Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,369 AG
    I hit them with soapy water when washing the boat and then rinse them off.   and i have a little bottle of reel oil i will hit em with every now and then. that's it. 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • bluewater_feverbluewater_fever Posts: 190 Deckhand
    A drop of oil now and then. I usually replace spinning reels every 4-6yrs. I have some TLD 20II and a TYRNOS that could use a service. The lever drag is difficult to engage now and then but I just live with it.
  • reelthunderreelthunder port everglades Posts: 291 Deckhand
    well that's sounds interesting for me i have my Shimano's  services every two to three years depending on the use that is put on my drag . shimano has a great service center and they are not expensive . you just box them up and send them out they service or repair your reels and they send them back. If they find something that they feel needs replacing they call you to get approval with the pricing.I once sent them 2 spinner that were having serious problems they were about 10 years old they call and said they were beyond repairing and asked if i would like them replaced with 2 new reels same style and size for free of course i said yes and they did. I have talk to others that have had the same thing happen with there rods too. I have plenty of reels so the time with out them did not affect my fishing. All together it takes about 2 weeks form Florida to California repair and back regular mail you can pay more for express mail if you have to . google shimano reel service online there site tells you what needs to be done its pretty darn simple and inexpensive too  
  • bluewater_feverbluewater_fever Posts: 190 Deckhand
    reelthunder...good to know. Might have to try that out.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,264 AG
    I wear out gear..... Most reels are done in a year of daily use.  

The old Penns used to be good for 3 seasons or so ( SS 430 ) but ever since they started making everything out of plastic....and the internet opened up lower pricing on new reels...service seems less of a deal. 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
  • NevermoorNevermoor Burnt Store MarinaPosts: 70 Deckhand
    I have a Penn 650SS that is probably 40 years old but it still works.  All my reels get torn down every winter and cleaned and lubed.  For a little bit of time on the bench, instead of watching TV I can make a reel last a lifetime.

My biggest fear is that when I die my wife will sell my guns and fishing rods for what I told her I paid for them,

• limitlesslimitless Posts: 707 Officer
    YouTube has some great videos on servicing almost any reel that walks you through the nuances to do a thorough job.  I try to do basic service on my main use reels every winter and do things like new carbon drags every 3 or so years.  Gives me something to do while its cold and blowing to much to fish.

The Snook & Gamefish Foundation is now the Angler Action Program: http://angleractionfoundation.com/  Dedicated to Conservation and Education.  Please check us out.

Angler Action Program: IAngler app trip log on your phone

• One DropOne Drop Posts: 413 Deckhand
    What Limitless said. Those videos have brought my old dead reels back to life and there's a bearing warehouse right next to my lab so easy replacement on some of those kid used reels. My neighbor gave me 10 antique reels before he passed and ice made some great connections via YouTube to get hard to find parts for restoration. 
  • RemoRemo Posts: 120 Deckhand
    Buy new reels every 2 years.  Last reel sent for service/repair Lost in Space, never seen again.

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 11,789 AG
    edited February 2020 #11
    I was always a bit afraid to service my own reels except for applying some oil here and there but I started following Alan Tani's posts on various forums and joined his own forum when he started it and have learned a tremendous amount of knowledge regarding reels.  Don't think I will ever pay to have a reel fixed or serviced again as I am confident to service my own now. One thing that I did learn was that a new reel will benefit greatly by pre servicing it before using as they often leave the factories sometimes without proper lubrication that will help prevent corrosion.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• SUPER DSUPER D Posts: 737 Officer
    I buy $30.00 dollar Abu Garcia freshwater reals from WM. They have great drags, and have caught many Tarpon up to 120 pounds or so. I replace them in 3 to 5 years. Only broke one, the bail arm broke after 4 years, and 5 back to back 50# bridge Tarpon. I remove bail spring cover, and pack with Die electric grease, and rinse with fresh water after each use. 20# braid on 40 size, and 10# braid on 30 Size. Only problem is the 40 size sometimes the handle comes loose, but a little lock tight fixes that. 
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Posts: 21,264 AG
    If they ever put a handle on a Shakespere President that didn't look like corroded garbage in 2 months I would buy those and toss them every year....
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you