Magnetic Hooks for Catching More Big Black Drum

2»

Replies

• bicyclistbicyclist FlardaPosts: 1,619 Captain
    tankered said:

Not sure how many big black drum you've caught but they don't really fight. They are pretty weak for their size, but will put trout-size tackle to the test because....they're big.

And a colossal waste of time.

Gee. I forgot the E when I re-logged in. Astute observation.

While wade fishing a while back we spotted tailing black drum and my buddy set out to catch a big one! He never caught one before. An hour later, on super light tackle, he was wading around with this "giant sack of potatoes" by his side. He said "never again"! The icing on the cake was in the exact spot he started wading when he hooked the drum, I caught a very nice keeper red on a gold spoon!
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 167 Deckhand

Yep. Once was enough, but unfortunately it's happened to me twice. Giant sack of potatoes sums it up nicely.

Up to about 24 or so inches they're worth it, good eating at that size.

BTW if you want a real fight hook a 6 pound 20" fork pompano on 8# test.

My knees were shaking by the time my brother finally got it in the net. Thought I was gonna get spooled several times.

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 4,544 Captain
    I enjoy eating keeper black drum, good eating.  But no, they don't fight.  Dead weight compared to jacks, reds, snook, etc.  

And the bigger they are, the weaker the fight (for their size, of course).

I've caught a couple 30ish pounders and they didn't even really pull drag. Just slowly swim around, and if you stop putting pressure on them they don't even do that, they just sit there.

And then you've got a big ugly fish with a small amount of crappy meat. Not my thing.

• MulletMaster239MulletMaster239 Southwest FloridaPosts: 107 Deckhand
    tankered said:

And the bigger they are, the weaker the fight (for their size, of course).

I've caught a couple 30ish pounders and they didn't even really pull drag. Just slowly swim around, and if you stop putting pressure on them they don't even do that, they just sit there.

And then you've got a big ugly fish with a small amount of crappy meat. Not my thing.

Thirty lbs isn’t even big for a black drum..that’s actually around average size from what I’ve seen. They don’t go on long runs or anything but to say they are weak you’re talking out of your backside. Some fish aren’t built for speed and just tug. Some fish are built for speed then burn out in no time. I’ve never targeted them, all the ones I’ve caught were bycatches while fishing for other species.

What is a waste of time to you, someone else may enjoy, and what you may enjoy, believe it or not, others may have zero interest in. Personally I’ll take one 50-60 lb black drum to catch and release over a whole yeti full of dinks, that’s just me, I don’t care for seafood.  But because you ‘feel’ a certain way, you always have to belittle a man about what he is fishing for. It’s similar to the wine aunt cat mom who hatefully criticizes anyone who does not conform to her far left cultural Marxist worldview. 

The guy enjoys fishing for drum, redfish, sharks, whatever. If he enjoys his free time on his days off, that’s all that matters, regardless of your feelz. Look at it this way, that’s one less angler after the voracious feeding dinks, i.e. more for your cooler. Rejoice!

You're taking this entirely too seriously. It's just my opinion, and he doesn't seem to care either way. But you can be his Internet White Knight if it makes you feel better.

And they still don't fight for chit.

It isn’t about being an ‘internet white knight’, it just gets old, the only time I’ve ever seen you post is to belittle someone else for what they target.  Those easy to catch dinks in your cooler  don’t make you any better than someone who fishes for other stuff. Any googan can catch pompano, with a bare gold hook even..they’re about as difficult to catch as sailcats at night. 
    30 lbs is the average black drum size...  I'm calling BS on that.  
    kellercl said:
    Ok, but I’ll go by what I’ve seen over your call. 
  • MathGeekMathGeek Posts: 453 Deckhand
    kellercl said:
    We've actually weighed and recorded the weights of hundreds of black drum over the years.  Reviewing the records shows only 4 that were really 30 lbs or more, including the one in the video that won the tournament on a magnetic hook.  When you actually weigh them, they are not as heavy as they look.

kellercl said:
    I enjoy eating keeper black drum, good eating.  But no, they don't fight.  Dead weight compared to jacks, reds, snook, etc.  

That may well be true in Florida, but often in Louisiana, we don't know whether it's a bull red or drum until we see it.

Here's a video with a typical fight on a 15-20 lb black drum.  And it is not light tackle - 65 lb power pro, Shimano Spheros 6000 reel, Ugly Stik Medium Heavy 7 ft Bigwater Spinning Reel.  We like to get the drum and redfish to the boat quickly.

https://youtu.be/nE0S1CDKpiM?t=141

“Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him!" - The Messiah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 6,766 Admiral
    I like the eating size drum if they still have their stripes I'll keep them to eat.

The min. size 14" are the best to me.  We use to catch a lot of them at Anclote Key park.

I've never heard of using magnetic hooks to catch drum.
    edited February 13 #43
    MathGeek said:
    kellercl said:
    We've actually weighed and recorded the weights of hundreds of black drum over the years.  Reviewing the records shows only 4 that were really 30 lbs or more, including the one in the video that won the tournament on a magnetic hook.  When you actually weigh them, they are not as heavy as they look.

Absolutely true with pretty much all fish.  Folks constantly overestimate how much a fish weighs.  I had a friend who caught a "20 lb" hammerhead.  The thing was maybe 30 inches long and at best 5 lbs.  Not only do people overestimate the size of fish, getting an "average" weight of 30 lbs means typical catches are far heavier to offset the smaller fish that would bring the average down.  It was a nonsensical comment by Mullet.    
    It isn’t about being an ‘internet white knight’, it just gets old, the only time I’ve ever seen you post is to belittle someone else for what they target.  Those easy to catch dinks in your cooler  don’t make you any better than someone who fishes for other stuff. Any googan can catch pompano, with a bare gold hook even..they’re about as difficult to catch as sailcats at night. 

I post reports in the Big Bend section, where they are relevant.

With each post you keep proving what a tool you are.

And black drum, especially the big ones, don't fight for chit.

tankered said:

I post reports in the Big Bend section, where they are relevant.

With each post you keep proving what a tool you are.

And black drum, especially the big ones, don't fight for chit.

You’ve never even caught a big black drum kid. Thirty pounds is not big for that species. But you’re not worth even a little more of my time. On my way to go jig up a nice mess of your precious little sand trout for bait this evening. A bare gold J hook and splitshot will do nicely for dink slaying. 

You have issues.

Good luck with that.

"Not even worth a little more of my time" Lol. As you angrily type away...
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,317 Captain
    edited February 14 #48
    Your kinda new here, so I’ll fill you in. This is what tankard does. Back when those Pensacola high school used to post “epic” fishing vids, he’d get all over them for catching drum, or small sheepies or whatever.   It really bothered him for some silly reason. It’s just what he does. Over time, I’ve learned to find it funny, but it’s still pretty rude.
    You should have been here yesterday

It's mainly because they always post long boring videos and expect you to watch them.

Very attention-whorish if you ask me. At least MathGeek interacts with the forum rather than posting his videos and moving on like "EPIC" man. And he has thick skin, unlike this Mullet guy.

And big black drum still don't fight for chit.

My average pompano catch is 117 lbs.  

If pomps got that big you'd never land them.

I swear the only fish I've caught that had close to the fight of that biga$$ pompano was my 80lb YFT.

But pound for pound I'd still give the edge to the pompano.

tankered said:

It's mainly because they always post long boring videos and expect you to watch them.

Very attention-whorish if you ask me. At least MathGeek interacts with the forum rather than posting his videos and moving on like "EPIC" man. And he has thick skin, unlike this Mullet guy.

And big black drum still don't fight for chit.

Ok that's pretty funny.

But I'm sick of her **** face.

You can't say r e t a r d e d??
  • stc1993stc1993 Albany, GA Carrabelle, FLPosts: 6,766 Admiral
    Mentally challenged don't you mean.
  • GabiJohnsonGabiJohnson FloridaPosts: 13 Greenhorn
    Magnetic hooks were the rage in the late 70's. I recall one of teh major hook companies even marketed them.
  • SaltygatorvetSaltygatorvet TallahasseePosts: 4,317 Captain
    Magnetic hooks were the rage in the late 70's. I recall one of teh major hook companies even marketed them.
    Take a look at post # 13
    You should have been here yesterday