Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

1/25/2020 Trip to near shore reef to try for a sheepshead bite.

My records indicate there should be a good  sheephead bite now. Well I got a crew  2 and me for 3 on board. Talk about a cold ride out I had 4 layers on and my fingers were numb. We worked an area that in the past has produced fish 18 to 20 inch range.. Not this year  a few shorts very short and only 2 that were 13 inches ,in the past years we would have  released those also. We did catch mangroves that were 5 to 6 inches. We also boated two bonnet head sharks  on small hooks and had shrimp on for  for bait. They were happy to be on the water and get a good bend in the rod. Give me those hot summer days any time . 
larrywitt

Replies

• bluewater00bluewater00 Posts: 130 Deckhand
    Nice try Witt
    My friend was dock hopin today 1/28/20 around sarasota and picked 27 nice sheeps 18-20" fish, a sea bass and a redfish, all released.
    Might want to try those docks
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,776 Moderator
    Nice try Witt
    My friend was dock hopin today 1/28/20 around sarasota and picked 27 nice sheeps 18-20" fish, a sea bass and a redfish, all released.
    Might want to try those docks
    Sounds like a plan for my next trip.  I have plenty of inside spots to hit saves ,time and fuel.
    larrywitt
  • bocaboybocaboy CentralPosts: 5 Deckhand
    There were plenty of keeper size fish at the phosphate dock as well as intercostal docks this weekend if you’re down that way