Home Off Topic

Coronavirus

Replies

• FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 925 Officer

This is why people hate the media. 17 people have died from the wuhan virus in Montana.
    Yes, presenting facts often makes people who like to ignore them very angry.
    Goebbels would be proud
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 16,987 AG
    edited May 28 #6453
    Need a bit of a history lesson?

Goebbels would want the poor and sick and old dead not alive.  He would be quite upset with CBS and might even call them an "enemy of the people".

• kellerclkellercl Posts: 5,374 Admiral
    Making up numbers but if area X has 2 cases:

1) 2 more cases confirmed

2) Total cases doubled

3) Confirmed cases increased 100%

All three statements are accurate, but all paint a much different picture.  Data analysis/understanding matters.

“When you're good at something, you'll tell everyone. When you're great at something, they'll tell you.”

-Walter Payton
    edited May 28 #6456
    edited May 28 #6457
    And here's a real quote from him:

"[W]hen one lies, it should be a big lie, and one should stick to it."

or this one from your website:

14. Propaganda must label events and people with distinctive phrases or slogans.
      a. They must evoke desired responses which the audience previously possesses
      b. They must be capable of being easily learned
      c. They must be utilized again and again, but only in appropriate situations

Sound like anyone you know?

Indeed, Goebbels would be proud.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 11,530 AG
    edited May 28 #6458

Two weeks after court scraps Safer at Home, Wisconsin sets record for new coronavirus cases and deaths

Two weeks to the day after the Wisconsin Supreme Court overturned Governor Tony Evers’ “Safer at Home” order, the state has set a one-day record for new coronavirus cases, as 642 positive cases were identified in the past 24 hours, bringing the total to 16,565 — and increasing the number of currently active cases by more than 10 percent.

Additionally, the day was the deadliest so far, as 22 people succumbed to COVID19 since this time Tuesday, bringing the total death toll to 539.

The percentage of coronavirus tests coming back positive also rose from 3.6 percent to 5.8 in the past 24 hours.

https://madison365.com/two-weeks-after-court-scraps-safer-at-home-wisconsin-sets-record-for-new-coronavirus-cases-and-deaths/

Prospective

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Or did I mean perspective? 

Captain Todd Approves

• ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,272 Moderator
    kellercl said:
    Percent increase can be very misleading.  Somebody worth a nickel can double their net worth by finding a nickel....  but if I leave the nickel part out, I can make it seem like somebody has a get rich quick scheme.  
    Percentages will get you in trouble very quickly. 
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Yes, the Swedes are finding that out first hand...

Sweden has the highest coronavirus death rate in the world – and it’s getting even worse

Sweden now officially has the worst coronavirus death toll in the world, calling in to question its controversial decision not to impose lockdown as the pandemic swept through Europe.

In early March, the country opted for minimal restrictions, including the banning of public events of more than 50 people, barring visits to care homes, non-essential travel and anti-crowding rules in bars and restaurants.

The measures had a positive effect despite critics questioning Sweden’s non-authoritarian approach. But from early April, the numbers began to change, showing the country’s death toll was starting to climb.

Figures published by Our World in Data shows Sweden now has the highest death rate per capita in the world. In the seven days between May 12 and 19, Sweden reported, on average, 6.25 COVID-19 deaths per million per day.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/coronavirus-sweden-lockdown-death-rate-144650769.html

• johnpowersjohnpowers BayPosts: 2,898 Captain
    How many cases would there be without the internet?
    edited May 28 #6463

One of the people still alive and able to see they are both right.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 7,272 Moderator

Half full, always.
    "What fools can not control, they will attempt to destroy."

RJG

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• dave44dave44 Posts: 10,848 AG
    And here's a real quote from him:

"[W]hen one lies, it should be a big lie, and one should stick to it."

or this one from your website:

14. Propaganda must label events and people with distinctive phrases or slogans.

a. They must evoke desired responses which the audience previously possesses

b. They must be capable of being easily learned

c. They must be utilized again and again, but only in appropriate situations

Sound like anyone you know?

Indeed, Goebbels would be proud.
    This reminds me of the global Climate death Mantra as well as the Kung flu death mantra.
       I can’t quite put my finger on it???
      Oh, right, now I remember!

Half full, always.
    I'm the 3rd option. It's a glass of water.

Captain Todd Approves

• FloridaMetalFabFloridaMetalFab North CubaPosts: 925 Officer
    mplspug said:

Half full, always.
    I'm the 3rd option. It's a glass of water.
    A half empty guy would call it a glass of air though.
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 1,452 Officer
    Someone told them that there really is no water in the glass, and they would believe it, and spin it as they do most anything they're told, no matter how ridiculous. 

They would maintain that position even if you poured it over their head and  drenched them with it.
    So you are D.) It's a glass of bleach

Captain Todd Approves

• Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 2,967 Captain
    By early Fall, before Halloween, tombstones will tell the tale.

One way or the other, that's the number we'll be stuck with.

There'll be no going back ... ( and certainlly no admissions of fault. )

Options are few, opinions are many, and science is in short supply.

The hard-core of the delusional fringe are openly calling for murder.

During the Civil Rights struggle, non-violence was an option.

It was the right choice at the time, but that time might have passed.

Many cheeks are not likely to be turned if the loonies are loosed.

• dave44dave44 Posts: 10,848 AG
    Odd, it nearly looks like a couple of people are calling for a revolution? Is Che available?

One way or the other, that's the number we'll be stuck with.

There'll be no going back ... ( and certainlly no admissions of fault. )

Options are few, opinions are many, and science is in short supply.

The hard-core of the delusional fringe are openly calling for murder.

During the Civil Rights struggle, non-violence was an option.

It was the right choice at the time, but that time might have passed.

Many cheeks are not likely to be turned if the loonies are loosed.

This poem needs work on the rhyming part.

Captain Todd Approves

• treemanjohntreemanjohn Posts: 4,411 Captain
    Keeps getting better and better. Luckily our in house Coronavirus scientists have it all figured out

Antibody tests used to determine if people have been infected in the past with Covid-19 might be wrong up to half the time, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said in new guidance posted on its website.

Antibody tests, often called serologic tests, look for evidence of an immune response to infection. "Antibodies in some persons can be detected within the first week of illness onset," the CDC says.

They are not accurate enough to use to make important policy decisions, the CDC said

We’re like the piggy bank that everybody is robbing, and that ends President Trump
    edited May 29 #6475
    It's almost like someone rushed them out....complete with CEOs invited to laude them at press conferences in the Rose Garden.

Just more snake oil and happy talk, I guess.
    This is why I am not bothering with a test now.  Maybe some day, like I said before, when the accuracy is north of 95%

Captain Todd Approves

• cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,116 AG
    It's almost like someone rushed them out....complete with CEOs invited to laude them at press conferences in the Rose Garden.

Just more snake oil and happy talk, I guess.
    You might want to read what the CDC really said. 

"For example, in a population where the prevalence is 5%, a test with 90% sensitivity and 95% specificity will yield a positive predictive value of 49%," the CDC said on its website. "In other words, less than half of those testing positive will truly have antibodies. Alternatively, the same test in a population with an antibody prevalence exceeding 52% will yield a positive predictive greater than 95%, meaning that less than one in 20 people testing positive will have a false positive test result."

The test is 90% accurate for true positive and 95% accurate for true negative. The issue is, if only 5% of those tested are actually positive then you could have 5% test false positive. Meaning 50% would be wrong. 

If 52% of those tested are positive then the test will still only show 5% test false positive. 

The accuracy of the test is not the issue, but the low number of actual positives you have. Unless you develop a test with 100% accuracy, which is rare, there will always be an issue with false positives. Even 99% accuracy, if only 5% were positive, the test would be wrong 20% of the time.

Double testing could reduce the error rate depending on what causes the false positive. 

Mini Mart Magnate

This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly. 

edited May 29 #6478
    Oh, I read it, and I understand exactly the challenges with the tests, but what does that have to do with rushing them out or press conferences?  You know, the post you quoted.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 3,305 Captain
    Well, I'm thoroughly convinced that nobody, and I mean NOBODY, knows much more than a gnats a$$ of truth or facts about this coronavirus after what happened to my oldest daughter at work last week. Apparently she got word tonight on her way to work that one of the other nurses she worked closely with last week up until Friday is sick with the disease. Of course being a holiday weekend we did the family things and whatnot from Friday to Tuesday so there is that possibility we may have been unknowingly exposed. What is perplexing is that the hospital is scheduling her as if nothing happened. No tests, no extra precautions, no sequestering, nothing. Just come on in, it's business as usual. 

I would have thought they might be just a little concerned with the potential spreading of this stuff to patients or staff, or maybe even family. I guess they must figure it's not nearly as contagious as we thought. Who freaking knows? NOBODY!

Not to mention, my wife is a dental hygienist who started back to work two weeks ago. Another position that is highly susceptible for a infection of this nature... It will be a miracle if we don't all get hit with this sheet if it is in fact as the science community and peanut gallery says it is.
  • Nick NikonNick Nikon Posts: 2,967 Captain
    edited May 29 #6480
    mplspug said:
     etc. etc. etc.
    This poem needs work on the rhyming part.

That wasn't the intention.

But, maybe I'll give it a shot.

After weeks of masks & isolation, maybe I can fart a poem.
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 31,116 AG
    edited May 29 #6481
    Oh, I read it, and I understand exactly the challenges with the tests, but what does that have to do with rushing them out or press conferences?  You know, the post you quoted.
    They weren't rushed out is the point. They are as accurate as most other tests. The press conference was correct to tout them with a 90%+ accuracy rate. The tests are not the problem, which is what your post tried to claim. There are very very very few tests that are 100% accurate. 

The Roche test for antibodies is accurate for  specificity greater than 99.8% and sensitivity of 100%, That is about as good as you can get and it can still be wrong.

Mini Mart Magnate

This forum is carbon based lifeform friendly.