Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Boating a Bass In Tournaments

FlecFlec Senior MemberPosts: 735 Officer
Why do bass fisherman in tourneys lay down on the deck and "cradle-grab" their fish instead of lipping or using a net? We did not do it that way 40 years ago. Are nets not allowed?  One of my best memories is lipping a 12lb 15oz bass at West Lake Toho back in '75.

Replies

• capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,881 Moderator
    B.A.S.S. doesn't allow nets. FLW does.  Major League fishing doesn't allow fish to touch the deck or be dropped in water higher that the side of the boat. Rules thing .
    "You'll get your weather"
  • DES51DES51 Junior Member Punta GordaPosts: 277 Deckhand
    Ike always makes a show out of it! They do look like little kids sometimes!  
  • cortrcortr Junior Member Posts: 531 Officer
    Ike is a showboat. Does not require that much running around the boat. It is amazing that every fish he hooks is a giant until he gets it to the boat and then it becomes a 1-2 lb'er!!!
  • FishingpervertFishingpervert Deltona, FloridaPosts: 1,010 Officer
    edited March 2020 #5
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Junior Member Posts: 282 Deckhand
    When you lip a large bass and remove it. From the water it puts way too much pressure on the fish’s stomach and vital organs..you may as well slam it on the dock...using a net scrapes off the protective slime that fish depend on to protect them from bacteria.

• MRichardsonMRichardson Senior Member OrlandoPosts: 10,466 AG
    cortr said:
    Ike is a showboat. Does not require that much running around the boat. It is amazing that every fish he hooks is a giant until he gets it to the boat and then it becomes a 1-2 lb'er!!!
    He understands his job. 
    It's entertainment, no different than any other type of showbiz.

I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.
  • duckmanJRduckmanJR Senior Member SebastianPosts: 21,265 AG
    cortr said:
    He understands his job. 

Yep....and I bet he is very concerned of the critics on the internet thinking he's a showboat..... probably wrestles with this.... LOL 
    There are many roads to travel
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    'fore the darkness falls on you
    When you lip a large bass and remove it. From the water it puts way too much pressure on the fish’s stomach and vital organs..you may as well slam it on the dock...using a net scrapes off the protective slime that fish depend on to protect them from bacteria.

I'm not driving all the way back to the ramp to slam it on the dock..... can I just step on it....and rub it's slime coat off on the carpeted deck? 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • Terry RavenscraftTerry Ravenscraft Junior Member Posts: 282 Deckhand
    If you’re going to eat it ...you can also run over it😉
  • LostconchLostconch Junior Member Posts: 1,097 Officer
    duckmanJR said:
    cortr said:
    He understands his job. 

Yep....and I bet he is very concerned of the critics on the internet thinking he's a showboat..... probably wrestles with this.... LOL 
    All the way to the bank
    Major League fishing doesn't allow fish to touch the deck or be dropped in water higher that the side of the boat. Rules thing .

Yeah...a 2 minute penalty...big deal... I would like something like the judge guy pushed the fisherman into the water...or slaps him in the face with the fish.... It should be funny..... a 2 minute sit down ain't squat.... I'd sit down and guzzle a beer.   LOL 

Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
    If you’re going to eat it ...you can also run over it😉
    People eat those things ?.... Ugh....

I guess if you can't catch Crappie they are better than the Gortons fisherman...but not by much. 
    Many things to do.
    Knots to be unraveled
  • MRichardsonMRichardson Senior Member OrlandoPosts: 10,466 AG
    I can't tell much difference between medium bass/bream/crappie.  Crappie is lighter/whiter by a small margin. It's all quite light/white compared to other types of fish.
    I have never seen live bones, but I know that they are often used by rich people to decorate the interior.